Thread: Hammer Horror!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Curse had to get a 10 for me because it did fully what these movies were originally supposed to - pack a punch and give you that scary thrill

To more seasoned Horror fans they may find it tame by modern gore standards but it was good enough for me - good suspense and timing is ageless - actually the more old fashioned style of the early ones adds to the creepy atmosphere

"The Devil Rides Out" and "Quatermass and the Pit" are two movies that really impressed me on my first viewing - I knew these were extra special.
    Last edited by Ralph; 11th Feb 2007 at 2:36 AM.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Curse had to get a 10 for me because it did fully what these movies were originally supposed to - pack a punch and give you that scary thrill

To more seasoned Horror fans they may find it tame by modern gore standards but it was good enough for me - good suspense and timing is ageless - actually the more old fashioned style of the early ones adds to the creepy atmosphere
    I couldn't agree more! 'Curse' is indeed a classic, & typical of what i think of as 'Horror/Fantasy' rather than just out & out horror. I agree these can have stacks more atmosphere than many modern horrors, even though they're tame by today's standards, they are filled with ambiance & charm.
    I don't go for gore fests anyway. They don't impress me or scare me. I prefer something with more of a psychological angle, which is why 'The Ring' impressed me not so long ago.
    Last edited by Wayne; 11th Feb 2007 at 2:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I agree these can have stacks more atmosphere than many modern horrors, even though they're tame by today's standards, they are filled with ambiance & charm.
    I don't go for gore fests anyway. They don't impress me or scare me. I prefer something with more of a psychological angle, which is why 'The Ring' impressed me not so long ago.
    I totally agree with that as I hate gore/slasher movies - I love jumping out my seat though and I think that takes considerably more skill

Wayne Guest

I totally agree with that as I hate gore/slasher movies - I love jumping out my seat though and I think that takes considerably more skill
    Don't get me wrong, i don't gore being part of a film, if it's a good film, But those that just rely on it just for effect are just boring.

I understand what you mean - the fear of what you might see adds a lot to the effect. Without the body horror in Curse it wouldn't have given me the creeps to the same extent.

Peter is a really skilled actor as when he plays the doddering kind Doctor in the Who movies it's a world apart from his ruthless murderous best in the Frankies.

Wayne Guest

onto the Count next

Last edited by Wayne; 11th Feb 2007 at 3:08 AM.

Dracula (1958)

The first Hammer Dracula starts off with the feeling of impending doom from the music. Indeed throughout the film it's largely the Score that sets the atmosphere and does so exceptionally well. The Castle setting and the sets look excellent. There's always plenty of mysterious mist too when you need it.

Chris Lee makes a dramatic entrance and does very well despite his few lines of script. Peter fares better on the script and gives a convincing performance as Van Helsing.

I liked the special effects too as Chris distintegrates in the light - probably quite exceptional for it's time and certainly effective enough now.

Great start - I'm wondering though if The Dracula films will follow the same patter as the Frankie ones - will this debut performance be the best?
    Last edited by Ralph; 12th Feb 2007 at 12:30 AM.

Wayne Guest

Dracula (1958)

Chris Lee makes a dramatic entrance and does very well despite his few lines of script.
    Chris has more to say in this one than in all the sequels put together!

I'll give this a go tomorrow night & post more then.

Chris has more to say in this one than in all the sequels put together!
    That's so true.

Have you noticed that James Bernard's Dracula theme/entrance music is just the word Dracula?
    It goes Drac -u- la. Anyway I'll shut up now.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post

Have you noticed that James Bernard's Dracula theme/entrance music is just the word Dracula?
    No don't shut up, this thread needs you!

Yeah, i know what you mean about the music. James Bernard did the same thing when he was comissioned to do some new music for the BFI release of 'Nosferatu'.
    It goes: Nos - fer - a - tu.

Good old James Bernard!

My memory of the first Dracula film is quite vague its been so long since I saw it. Same with a lot of these films. The videos are in teh loft or at my parents.
    Does a room catch fire in Dracula or have I got that wrong?

I wonder how many Hammer films end with a building burning down.

And will Ralph being doing Wayne's favourite, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, since its technically a Dracula film?

Wayne Guest

My memory of the first Dracula film is quite vague its been so long since I saw it. Same with a lot of these films. The videos are in teh loft or at my parents.
    I have pm'd you.

And will Ralph being doing Wayne's favourite, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, since its technically a Dracula film?
    @"Wayne's Favourite"

I haven't got that one. 'nuff said.
    Last edited by Wayne; 12th Feb 2007 at 12:12 PM.

Back a moment to the best of the Frankies and just in case anyone's enjoying their lunch I thought I'd post a pic of Chris' monster so you know why I thought it so effective!

Another useless fact. Hammer were originally going to use the Universal studios Frankenstein monster make up but weren't allowed as it was still copyrighted. So they had to come up with their own version and its a whole lot better.

Wayne Guest

Another useless fact. Hammer were originally going to use the Universal studios Frankenstein monster make up but weren't allowed as it was still copyrighted. So they had to come up with their own version and its a whole lot better.
    I alluded to that earlier. But yeah, the Hammer version looks a lot better, even though i like the Karloff look, & it's still the 'classic' look.

(Have e-mailed that file to you, Btw)
    Last edited by Wayne; 12th Feb 2007 at 2:04 PM.

Cheers Wayne! I'll have a look later.

Brides of Dracula (1960)

The credits started to roll but no Chris Lee! My immediate thought was how can this work then? It was a relief to see at least Peter was in it.

The opening sequences with the carriage racing through the forest looked promising. Then the scenes in the castle were quite good, some traditional thunder and lightening adding nicely to the atmosphere. The sets inside the castle are good as the first movie if a bit less creepy. It runs quite well with the release of the vampire kept under lock and key by his dear old Mum. Peter Cushing makes a welcome appearance just as it starts to drag and gets a bit of momentum going for a bit and then we start to see the main vampire in action, Baron something or other.

But this actor is no Chris lee, he lacks his presence, height and menacing appearance. As for the fangs it just looks funny. In the first movie I thought the make up and fangs were effective. The story starts to drag again and I was gradually losing interest as the movie really shows it's age in both style and pace...I almost fell asleep in fact. The incidental music seems to have taken a back seat on this one to it's detriment as well but then it would probably be wasted here anyway! It seems appropriate there's lots of bat action as - it just looks corny and fits the film well.The finale woke me up a little but I was pleased it had come to an end. .

Made 3 years after Curse of Frankenstein, this feels more like a movie made 10 years earlier. And where was Lee? He was needed very badly! I find it incredible to believe this was made by the same people who made the first movie.I'd even put Evil of Frankenstein, the weakest of the Frankie's ahead of this one on entertainment value

Sorry Wayne but just can't get excited on this one...

I'd like to think, in fact I want to hope this is bottom of the pile!
    Last edited by Ralph; 12th Feb 2007 at 11:11 PM.

Brides is not that good. You're right about Baron whatisname. Completely miscast. I always thought he was more suited to some teen movie than a vampire film. And the women have a very 40's/50's look about them too.
    I quite like the ending though. How mad is it to use a windmill as a giant crucifix!!!
    And be prepared for some more bat action in the later films.
    And don't worry the next one is one of my favourites. Chris Lee returns and the dialogue is great

I quite like the ending though. How mad is it to use a windmill as a giant crucifix!!!
    And be prepared for some more bat action in the later films.
    And don't worry the next one is one of my favourites. Chris Lee returns and the dialogue is great
    Yes the ending was quite innovative with the windmill but Baron whathisname doesn't even die as well as Chris' Drac

Actually Paul I've just realised I've got 1964's "Kiss of the Vampire" to do next before "Dracula - Prince Of Darkness" which I understand is the official follow up to the 1958 original. I've read Chris isn't in "Kiss" Still got to give it a chance.... I've just checked and even Peter's not in that one!

Fingers crossed then in a crucifix sort of way

Anyway thanks for the feedback Paul - it's nice to get some while Wayne's not here!
    Last edited by Ralph; 13th Feb 2007 at 1:17 PM.

I'd forgotten about Kiss! I can't remember anything about it at all. That can't be good. I think that the guy playing the vampire in this one has a bit more prescence than the guy in Brides though.
    I think there may be more bat action in Kiss as well.

Anyway thanks for the feedback Paul - it's nice to get some while Wayne's not here
    I'm enjoying this thread actually. Even if I came to it quite late.
    Last edited by Paul Monk; 13th Feb 2007 at 3:23 PM.

He did that with most of his themes, didn't he? I remember an interview from a 1994 documentary 'Flesh And Blood' (it's pretty good, I've got it on tape somewhere) where he said that he used to take the title and build the theme around it (all together now: "The-Curse-Of-FRAN-KEN-STEEEEIIIINN!!!!"), which is a good method to use, and probably one that many film and television composers have employed over the years (just take 'Doctor Who', for instance).

It's funny, I consider myself a big fan of hammer, although reading this excellent thread, I realise that there are still many films I've never seen, and some I haven't seen in over twenty years. In fact, I don't think I've watched any of them for quite some time, although I did watch the first two 'Quatermass' movies recently, both of which I will try to comment on soon.

Wayne Guest

Well, i'm afraid i rather like 'Brides of Dracula'. I agree about David Peel. He's no Lee. And i agree it looks quite old fashioned, but i think it's very atmospheric.
    'Kiss of the Vampire' is a slightly better film IMO, despite no Lee or Cushing.
    Sorry, no time to say much more at the moment........

Good to see you back on line Wayne if only briefly

Kiss of the Vampire (1964)

I must have seen this one at some stage as I recalled the opening sequence at the funeral when the local slams a spade through the newly lowered coffin and a scream is heard

So good opener. I looked at the opening credits to see if there was anyone I recognised but alas it was not to be still I thought better give it a fair chance. Unfortunately with this DVD being NTSC the movement was a bit shuddery making the picture less flowing. It is again fairly old fashioned in style - I could swear if I didn't know better that both this and Brides are early 50s movies.

This one had a more interesting story line than "Brides". A young couple driving in a vehicle in the late 19th century break down, unfortunately the AA couldn't be called out in them thar days....anyway upshot of it is they break down near a small village with a castle up in the hills nearby naturally

They stay at a hotel in the village and appear to be the first guests passing through for a few decades as the linen's not used so much for the beds as for dustsheets.

Naturally enough when the young travellers get an invite to the grand surroundings of the castle to be wined and dined it's a no brainer.

We meet this aristocratic type family for an evening's polite entertainment ...you know one of those dos where the highlight of the evening is to sit quietly listening to someone tapping away on a Piano.

The first visit goes just fine for our young travellers and off back they trundle safely to their humble hotel however all is not as it appears.... They receive a further invite from the castle dwellers who decide to hold a more hip party with masks and the like, a la "Eyes Wide Shut" but only as far as the masks I did say this was a tad old fashioned!

At the party our young travellers have a fun time...drinking and dancing and more drinking and more dancing and all is gay so to speak. However things take a turn for the worse as it becomes apparent that this is more a club than a party and the vamping skulldugery gets underway - a few white shawls for good measure to add to the atmosphere.

Anyway a kind of stand in for Van Helsing is on the scene and he knows a thing or two abourt sorcery and conjures a batty finale. Batman would be proud!

So better then than "Brides" but still not making the grade for me like the Frankie movies. These two I think have not aged so well at all but at least the story for "Kiss" is a good one so it certainly has merit there.

I'm badly missing the Lee/Cushing dream ticket though and am really pleased that at least Lee is back for the next one and while Peter's not there, stand in Andrew Keir seems a good option. As this is also the official sequel to the 1958 movie I've got higher expectations...

Sorry I can't be more positive on these last two - I feel as if I'm slagging off the Hammers here but I did really enjoy 6 of the 7 Frankies so can't win em all.

So far 1958's Dracula stands head and shoulder's above these two less effective movies.

Oh forgot to mention - saw a familiar face from "The War Machines" - I couldn't place him at first then I realised it was the guy in charge of the mighty WOTAN.
    Last edited by Ralph; 14th Feb 2007 at 1:03 PM.

Dracula - Prince Of Darkness

Chris Lee back in action in the next one - no script but his very presence just gives it appeal - can this movie rescue the franchise for me?! I hope so!