Thread: Hammer Horror!

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Kiss of the Vampire has come back to me now. I seem to remember quite enjoying it.
    As for Dracula Prince of Darkness, it's one of my favourites. Hope you enjoy it Ralph. Also worth checking out is Rasputin the Mad Monk which was made at the same time with the same cast and sets.

Dracula - Prince of Darkness (1966)

I remembered various bits from this one and it certainly makes the grade!

The opening sequences return us to the events of the 1958 original movie connecting with Peter's Van Helsing and Dracula's demise. It was good to see this link and I think rightly so bypasses the previous movies making this the next official entry.

Early on Andrew Keir makes an appearance and I must say he's a good choice to stand in for Peter. He was excellent as Bernard Quatermass in "Quatermass and the Pit" and here in this movie just one year earlier he adds considerable garavitas as the force of good. Francis Matthews and the other 3 supporting actors all give creditable performances.

Two brothers, one of which is Francis Matthews, accompanied by their wives have travelled from England to see the area and choose to go where no man wants to go despite the usual warnings. On route to Calsbad their stage coach driver refuses to go any further and leaves them stranded in a forested area with Dracula's Castle just a few miles away or so ... just as they are deciding how to deal with being stranded a horse drawn carriage appears but there is no driver....happy to see this mode of transport they climb aboard the carriage but it won't take them anywhere but the castle....

When they arrive no one greets them on entry.....a long table is set for four people and their luggage is already in the bedrooms.... a creepy character called Clove appears from the shadows to say his master would like them to have dinner....

It truly is a fine atmosphere as the sinister Clove serves up dinner and when asked about his Master explains he is dead... Well I think I would be moving along at this stage and saying my goodbyes but that wouldn't make for a good movie would it?

The atmosphere builds further as they go to the bedrooms and Clove bids them good night....just knowing he's creeping about is enough to ensure a bad night's sleep.

As always one of the guys has to get up and find out what the noise is as Clove drags a trunk across a corridor....

What happens next well you'll have to watch to find out but it's done very well indeed, it's thick with atmosphere and the music adds considerably to the tension.

The movie has lots of memorable moments and while Chris gets no words at all, this is a vampire with style and presence. In the other movies the vampires get to say many lines but not here...The benefit is a creepier feel to the movie as the Vampire remains a thing of complete mystery.

A very worthy sequel to the original and I would say I enjoyed it even more. This one defintely feels like it's been on TV schedules more often in the past and I can easily see why. Of course it may be that it's just so memorable.

So the full thumbs up on this one!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    a creepy character called Clove appears from the shadows to say his master would like them to have dinner....

It truly is a fine atmosphere as the sinister Clove serves up dinner

while Chris gets no words at all,
    Glad you enjoyed 'Kiss' (up to a point) & 'Prince'.

'Prince of Darkness' is a cracking film, & a personal favourite. Though i'm a very big fan of both the next two Drac sequels as well. 'Risen From the Grave' has some beautiful cinematography, particularly on the rooftop scenes which look gorgeously atmospheric, & 'Taste' is possibly my fave of the sequels - Ralph Bates giving a teriffic guest performance as the arrogant pup: Lord Courtly.
    Anyway, i'm getting ahead of myself!
    Yes Andrew Kier is great in 'Prince' isn't he? I love the scenes in the castle with all the goings on in the middle of the night. The sets look fantastic, too.
    Meanwhile, Philip Latham's Klove is another high point for me. 'Sinister' is the perfect word, Ralph, & i have to say that i prefer his portrayal to Troughton's Clove in 'Scars'. Although Pat also does a great job, but he's more of an oddjob type character in a sense - Quite a sad figure, who doesn't have the mysterious, sinister qualities of Latham's Klove.
    And yes, Chris gets to say bugger all, (told you!) But still makes his presence strongly felt.

Dracula has risen from the grave (1968)

Another good one - different from the last one in various ways.

It's a continuation on from "Prince" and Chris gets a few lines in this one! I'm sure it's longer than 1958's "yes there are many volumes to index"....

This one doesn't have the downright creepy atmosphere created within the confines of the Castle in the last but has a great pace that ensures the story maintains momentum. The atmosphere is added to by an edge tinting of the picture effect in many of the scenes with Dracula. Klove (correct spelling this time ) is replaced this time around by a priest under Dracula's control but he doesn't have the sinister and creepy feel, instead he's a servant whose clearly under control but trying and failing to fight it.

It's getting a bit sexier too as clearly we're well past the stuffier early 60's

Rupert Davies as a priest gives a really good performance and I would say is a match for Andrew Keir. Still no return of Cushing - I didn't realise he had such a long gap before his return perhaps in the next movie?

Different from the last then but thats important to maintain interest - "revenge was complete" for a while but a large cross got in the way.

An enjoyable outing
    Last edited by Ralph; 16th Feb 2007 at 9:42 AM.

Wayne Guest

Rupert Davies as a priest gives a really good performance and I would say it a match for Andrew Keir. Still no return of Cushing - I didn't realise he had such a long gap before his return perhaps in the next movie?
    Rupert Davies is very good in it, isn't he?
    Glad you enjoyed this one, Ralph.
    Cushing isn't back until AD 1972, but i think the next 2 films are a lot better than the one he finally returns in.......
    Last edited by Wayne; 16th Feb 2007 at 9:15 AM.

Yes definitely a man have around when you're suffering from anaemia

If I'm correct it's "Taste the Blood of Dracula" next as I think I noticed a couple made in 1970.
    Last edited by Ralph; 16th Feb 2007 at 9:49 AM.

Wayne Guest

If I'm correct it's "Taste the Blood of Dracula" next as I think I noticed a couple made in 1970.
    Yep. 'Taste', then 'Scars'.
    Last edited by Wayne; 16th Feb 2007 at 9:55 AM.

Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)

"Prince" I'd say is still the creepiest of the lot so far and I suspect may remain so, the equivalent of "The Curse of Frankenstein" in that regard for me. This one picking up where the last left off feels different from the last two which felt still in touch with the atmospheric feel of the 1958 original. "Taste" is a change in direction, taking Dracula completely away from his setting at the Castle and the revenge is not subtle by any means - it feels hammed up a bit in that regard but not necessarily a bad thing as it still makes for an entertaining ride. The movies I guess were only going to maintain interest and make money for Hammer if they offered sufficient variation from previous outings.

This one starts off with Roy Kinnear in a straight role - just as well! He witnesses Dracula's demise from the preceding movie and collects Drac's personal belongings for safe keeping....

Three supposedly respectable members of their community have a monthly outing to conduct charitable work in a deprived area of town but which is in fact a cover for partaking in the pleasures of the flesh - quite right too! There they meet Ralph Bates who challenges them to up the excitement a gear as the gents have tired of the frollicking, lucky chaps, and want something different - bad move! Bates convinces them what they need to do is acquire Drac's gear which they duly do and then he leads them onto perform a black mass.

It's only Bates that completes the ceremony and drinks the blood of Dracula.... and so the Count is resurrected but he seeks revenge on the three gents for poor old Bates who cops it.

The movie then follows the path of Revenge until someone again with a shiny cross takes it upon himself to fight the evil Drac. There's no Andrew Keir or Rupert Davies character's in this one - the force of good isn't strongly represented at all. Lee should have really made it through but well they had to draw the movie to a conclusion.

The best performance apart from Lee who again carries the movie with his godlike presence, is Ralph Bates in a role akin to his appearance the same year as the Baron in "Horror of Frankenstein" described earlier.

Linda Hayden (above) makes for gorgeous eye candy.

I would say with Ralph Bates' contribution it's a match for the overall appeal of "Risen" but as I said "Prince" is still unchallenged for sheer atmosphere.

Wayne Guest

"Prince" I'd say is still the creepiest of the lot so far and I suspect may remain so, the equivalent of "The Curse of Frankenstein" in that regard for me.

The best performance apart from Lee who again carries the movie with his godlike presence, is Ralph Bates in a role akin to his appearance the same year as the Baron in "Horror of Frankenstein" described earlier.

I would say with Ralph Bates' contribution it's a match for the overall appeal of "Risen" but as I said "Prince" is still unchallenged for sheer atmosphere.
    Good to read your thoughts again, Ralph.
    Sounds as though you prefer the first sequel: 'Prince', over even the first 1958 film?
    I do find these difficult to rate, but the original is my fave because because it's so atmospheric, & Lee actually manages to make some use of his wonderfully sonorous voice. He hasn't had a lot to say ever since.
    'Prince' is a very strong contender for second place - It is definitely the creepiest sequel, but Ralph Bates' performance really helps 'Taste'. It really is a battle between the 2 for me, with 'Risen' just a notch under.
    It will be interesting to see what you make of 'Scars'. It's a total break from the continuity of the previous films - something of a standalone, but i enjoy the film. It ranks a close 5th place just a notch behind 'Risen' for me. But to be honest i enjoy the first 5 so much that there's really not that much between them. Unfortunately, the weakest by far are the final 2 movies IMO, despite the return of Cushing for both 'AD 1972' & 'Satanic Rites'.
    Good stuff Ralph, anyway. I'm enjoying this thread!

Btw... Lee gets to say a little bit more in the next one, & then not so much 'AD 1972', but gets a bit of good dialogue in 'Satanic Rites' during a final showdown with Cushing/Van Helsing.
    Last edited by Wayne; 17th Feb 2007 at 1:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Good to read your thoughts again, Ralph.
    Sounds as though you prefer the first sequel: 'Prince', over even the first 1958 film?

'Prince' is a very strong contender for second place - It is definitely the creepiest sequel, but Ralph Bates' performance really helps 'Taste'. It really is a battle between the 2 for me, with 'Risen' just a notch under.

While the original is a great entry I've decided "Prince" is marginally ahead - I'm waiting to see all of them though to judge what the rankings should be. I certainly know what the top two and bottom two are so far.

I see this rather unsavoury looking character is the new Klove

The Scars Of Dracula (1970)

Bit samey I thought with this one...such as the carriages delivering the victims to the Castle and the fearful inn keeper in the local village etc. Chris Lee gets more lines - he always delivers them well so no bad thing! However there's no strong supporting actors like in the all the films I would regard as the better ones.

Dennis Waterman has a major role but falls well short of the mark. I guess this was early in his career and he's pretty bland and, for example, he discovers his brother impaled in Dracula's lair and then is as bold as brass when confronted with Dracula moments later - I don't think so

Pat Troughton as Klove doesn't have the appeal of the original actor. This is really down to the storyline as here he is not the obedient servant.

Overall this one is weaker mainly because Peter Cushing, Andrew Keir, Rupert Davies and Ralph Bates are so watchable in the last good movies and with them missing the story lacks more conviction.

So the weakest since "Brides" and "Kiss".
    Last edited by Ralph; 17th Feb 2007 at 9:57 PM.

Wayne Guest

The Scars Of Dracula (1970)

Chris Lee gets more lines - he always delivers them well so no bad thing! However there's no strong supporting actors like in the all the films I would regard as the better ones.

Dennis Waterman has a major role but falls well short of the mark.

Pat Troughton as Klove doesn't have the appeal of the original actor. This is really down to the storyline as here he is not the obedient servant.

Overall this one is weaker mainly because Peter Cushing, Andrew Keir, Rupert Davies and Ralph Bates are so watchable in the last good movies and with them missing the story lacks more conviction.
    I agree with all this, (especially about Waterman & Troughton) but i like still like it, even though it's weakest Drac film so far.
    It's still better than the last 2 films, IMO. Though you may disagree, what with Cushing's return.
    I can see why watching one every night might get a bit repititive though, unless you happen to be a big fan like me.

I can see why watching one every night might get a bit repititive though, unless you happen to be a big fan like me.
    Fair point - I remember you thinking that of X Files which I thought was caused for the same reason.

I think though if the acting had been better I wouldn't have considered it the same

Wayne Guest

Well as far as being samey is concerned, It's goodbye to the gothic style now. The next 2 are comtemporary settings. Which is part of the reason they don't work as well, IMO. Even the music in 'AD 1972' is not only unsuitable, but dreadful if you ask me. I can't see they were trying to take it somewhere different but.......
    On the plus side, the now slightly greying Lee still has his moments, & Cushing is excellent as ever. In fact if he wasn't in it, it would be a very poor outing. Then there's the eye candy bonus of Stephanie Beacham.

Last edited by Wayne; 18th Feb 2007 at 12:26 AM.

Hey man the Drac is back and this is...

Dracula AD 1972 baby...

Fair enough start no problems with seeing the plane jet over as 100 years have passed since Dracula and Helsing were battling out in Hyde Park in 1872 but as soon as we reach the groovy party with all the disapproving oldies which seems to last a painfully long time I quickly realise this modern Drac is in fact the most dated! But hey man I really ought to chill cos Pete's back and that got to be cool...

Pete and Chris give creditable performances despite the major handicap which is their totally out of place setting in a grooved up '72...even if they could have just made it an ordinary '72 setting..... Peter reminded me of his DW role as he has his hip grandaughter with him.

Anyway fortunately the next generation of Van Helsings groove down to a desanctified Church where Drac hangs out with a couple of funky dudes as his disciples one by the name of Alucard (what could be hipper man than having the name of your master spelt backwards?)

Peter saves the day and debunks Drac again, question is will AD 1973 be any cooler man?

Still recovering from this one....
    Last edited by Ralph; 18th Feb 2007 at 11:01 AM.

Wayne Guest

I quickly realise this modern Drac is in fact the most dated!

Peter saves the day and debunks Drac again, question is will AD 1973 be any cooler man?

Still recovering from this one....
    That was quick! Yes, it's ironic really that this one is the most dated.
    However, the final Drac outing 'Satanic Rites', is a bit better IMO, though by now Hammer is starting to rely on nudity a bit too heavily, but i'm sure you'll be pleased to see Joanna Lumley taking Stephanie Beacham's place.
    Last edited by Wayne; 18th Feb 2007 at 11:38 AM.

That was quick! Yes, it's ironic really that this one is the most dated.
    However, the final Drac outing 'Satanic Rites', is a bit better IMO, though by now Hammer is starting to rely on nudity a bit too heavily, but i'm sure you'll be pleased to see Joanna Lumley taking Stephanie Beacham's place.
    I watched half last night and the other half this morning - From your post I'm looking forward to the next one now

I'll do the rankings after "Satanic" as I believe thats the last of the official Dracs

I see there's some other vamp movies by Hammer but presumably seperate?

Wayne Guest

I'll do the rankings after "Satanic" as I believe thats the last of the official Dracs

I see there's some other vamp movies by Hammer but presumably seperate?
    Yeah, 'Seven Golden Vampires' is kind of another Drac film with Cushing as Van Helsing one last time, but Lee's not in it. I haven't got it because i think it's pants. It's Hammer trying to cash in on the popularity of the martial arts films of the day if you ask me. I know Paul likes it, but i refuse to even own a copy.

Yes, there are some other vamp films; Most notably the Karnstein trilogy:

The Vampire Lovers
    Lust For A Vampire
    Twins of Evil

I really like these films!
    And not just for the hot totty.
    Last edited by Wayne; 18th Feb 2007 at 3:19 PM.

The Satanic Rights of Dracula (1973)

Marginally better than the last and thats because this one's less groovy man. Plus Joanna Lumley stands in for Stephanie Beacham.

The film is just a bit slow moving with bland music which on both these last films seems like a derivative of the "Shaft" theme. The Drac Hammers come limping in at the end - I have to say the Frankie's which ended at the same time held their quality better but then they stayed in period. Perhaps there's only so many sequels you can make before you tire the formula.

OK so the rankings then for the Hammer Dracula movies are as foillows:

Dracula - Prince of Darkness 9.5/10
    Dracula - Original 9/10
    Dracula has risen from the Grave 8/10
    Taste the Blood of Dracula 7/10

The Scars of Dracula 5.5/10
    The Satanic Rights of Dracula 5.5/10
    Dracula AD 1972 5/10

The Non Dracs:
    Kiss of the Vampire 4/10
    Brides of Dracula 3/10

The first four are the cream of the crop and do the Hammer reputation justice, the last 5 are lacklustre run of the mill Dracs that unless you're a big fan I'd skip.
    Last edited by Ralph; 18th Feb 2007 at 9:56 PM.

Wayne Guest

The Satanic Rights of Dracula (1973)

Dracula - Prince of Darkness 9.5/10
    Dracula - Original 9/10
    Dracula has risen from the Grave 8/10
    Taste the Blood of Dracula 7/10

The Scars of Dracula 5.5/10
    The Satanic Rights of Dracula 5.5/10
    Dracula AD 1972 5/10
    Brides of Dracula 4/10
    Kiss of the Vampire 3/10
    First of all, i pretty much agree about 'Satanic Rites', though my scores would be marginally higher.
    Secondly, i think you've been a bit harsh on 'Scars', but fair enough it's all opnion.
    Thirdly, 'Brides' & 'Kiss' aren't part of the Dracula franchise. Admittedly, 'Brides of Dracula' is a misleading title, but Baron Meister isn't Dracula, & 'Kiss' definitely has nothing to do with Dracula. Also, I thought you rated 'Kiss' higher than 'Brides' on your write up?

Kiss of the Vampire (1964)

So better then than "Brides"
    Anyway, My rankings for the Hammer Dracula films.

Dracula
    Dracula:Prince of Darkness
    Taste the Blood of Dracula
    Dracula has risen from the Grave
    Scars of Dracula
    Satanic Rights of Dracula
    Dracula AD 1972

Will add scores later - Gotta go! :wayne
    Last edited by Wayne; 18th Feb 2007 at 6:47 PM.

First of all, i pretty much agree about 'Satanic Rites', though my scores would be marginally higher.
    Secondly, i think you've been a bit harsh on 'Scars', but fair enough it's all opnion.
    Thirdly, 'Brides' & 'Kiss' aren't part of the Dracula franchise. Admittedly, 'Brides of Dracula' is a misleading title, but Baron Meister isn't Dracula, & 'Kiss' definitely has nothing to do with Dracula. Also, I thought you rated 'Kiss' higher than 'Brides' on your write up?
    I've amended my list - Yes I got Kiss and Brides mixed up, Kiss is the better but also I've marked them as non Dracs - still at the bottom anyway. But what of your rankings Wayne - just how close is "Prince" for you to the original? The original's big plus is that it's got Peter but "Prince" is just thick with atmosphere.

"Scars" really suffers for me with Dennis Waterman's truly dreadful acting - Peter saves "AD" and "Satanic" from total oblivion. I wouldn't mind seeing Satanics on a non NTSC transfer as I think it hampers it a little (some people are never happy! Same for Evil of Frankie )
    Last edited by Ralph; 18th Feb 2007 at 6:54 PM.

Pip Madeley Guest

There's one on now, Trudi's watching it... Dracula: Prince of Darkness I think it's called...

I remember watching Tales That Witness Madness which Wayne sent me (is that a Hammer Horror film?)...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    There's one on now, Trudi's watching it... Dracula: Prince of Darkness I think it's called...

I remember watching Tales That Witness Madness which Wayne sent me (is that a Hammer Horror film?)...
    "Prince" is certainly one of the best, I think "Tales" is another production company but "the master" will know

Wayne Guest

I wouldn't mind seeing Satanics on a non NTSC transfer as I think it hampers it a little (some people are never happy! Same for Evil of Frankie )
    Too right, some people are never happy. Ungrateful bastards.

I'll get back to you on the other questions. Too pissed now.