Thread: Hammer Horror!

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    There's one on now, Trudi's watching it... Dracula: Prince of Darkness I think it's called...
    I caught that showing last night on ITV4 as well! It's the first time I've watched it in a long time. I knew the title, but it was so long since I saw any of these that I had no idea what to expect from this. But happily, from the very first scene the memories came flooding back...what a cracker this one is! btw, was that a very young Cybil Shephard playing the dead young lady in that opening scenes? If not, it certainly looked like her to me.

Apart from Lee and Andrew Keir, there weren't really any other names that I recognised (but a couple of faces seemed vaguely familiar) but this didn't hurt this film in the slightest...just the opposite, in fact. Because it didn't have both Lee and Cushing in it, I had prepared myself to be disappointed in this, expecting it to be one of the weaker entries in the series. But it simply reminded me of just how much I used to enjoy these. Lee was suitably creepy in this (and I noticed that he never said anything at all here, which made his character even creepier imo) as was his servant, Clove.

Watching this as I did as a tv broadcast and not in context as part of an ongoing series of films, but just as a stand alone film, I'm really tempted to give this 10/10...it was excellent!

A timely reminder of just how good Hammer could be!

Pip Madeley Guest

Trudi told me it was really overacted - perhaps thats part of the appeal

Wayne Guest

I remember watching Tales That Witness Madness which Wayne sent me (is that a Hammer Horror film?)...
    Hail the Tamm!

Ralph's right. 'Tales That Witness Madness' isn't a Hammer film. There were several other production companies that capitalized on Hammer's success.
    Companies like Tyburn, Planet Films, & most notably British Tigon made several films like 'The Blood Beast Terror' & at least one classic in: 'Blood on Satan's Claw', starring Linda Hayden, with Anthony Ainley & Wendy Padbury.
    Hammer's biggest rival though was Amicus Films, who also made some great movies, often starring Cushing & Lee, & were well known for the success of their 'anthology' movies. 'Tales That Witness Madness' is very much like an Amicus anthology movie, but it was produced by a company called 'World Film Services'.
    Incidentally, Amicus also made the 2 Cushing Dalek films in the 60's, but under the name of Aaru Productions because some of the financial backing came from British Lion who felt the name of Amicus was too closely associated with the Horror Movie genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    But what of your rankings Wayne - just how close is "Prince" for you to the original?
    The original's big plus is that it's got Peter but "Prince" is just thick with atmosphere.
    I've added the scores & a comment now, which should give you an idea.

Dracula - 10/10

It has to be the best not only because of Cushing, But also because Lee actually gets to speak! This one also has the best script, & is of course based on Bram Stoker's original tale. The sets are fantastic, & to me the scenes at the castle have as much atmosphere as 'Prince'.

Dracula:Prince of Darkness - 9/10

Possibly the spookiest of the franchise, largely because of the night-time sequences at the castle. Kier is good, but Cushing would've been even better, & the film loses out slightly because Lee gets bugger all to say. Phillip Latham's Klove is a big plus point though.

Taste the Blood of Dracula - 9/10

I like this one about as much as 'Prince'. It's very much a 'Horror' film, & Ralph Bates shines as Lord Courtly. I love Dracula's ressurection scene, which has a lot of impact, & the performances of the 3 frightened characters are excelllent. Although Ralph probably doesn't think Peter Sallis is very good in it just because he's famous for 'Last of the Summer Wine'.

Dracula has risen from the Grave - 8.5/10

Just a notch down on the others, but it has sufficient going for it to merit a worthy score. As i mentioned before, i particularly love the look of this film. It's so beautifully shot. I love the rooftop scenes, where you look down on the village & can see the smoke swirling from the chimney's etc... Lovely cinematography the gives the film a lot of atmosphere. Great performances again too, particularly from Rupert Davies.

Scars of Dracula - 7.5/10

The last of the good ones for me. Dennis Waterman loses it some points, but he doesn't have to carry the film, so it doesn't matter too much. It's a good script, & Lee gets to be particularly menacing in this one. Although i may prefer Phillip Latham's version of Klove, Troughton's performance is still a plus point for the film, & although the character somewhat different to how Klove was portrayed in 'Prince', Troughton still does a good job of it. For me, this is the last of the Dracula movies that has that genuine gothic, creepy atmosphere.

Satanic Rights of Dracula - 6.5/10

It's largely thanks to Cushing that this film is watchable at all. Lee still turns in a good performance too, but Peter lifts just about anything that he appears in. But it has to be said that it's a rather ploddy film, & although it does have a few memorable sequences, the storyline isn't up to that much, IMO.

Dracula AD 1972 - 6/10

It has to be the weakest. Only Lee & Cushing raise this to the slightly above average score. They are still very good in it, particularly in the scenes at the climax. But the script is poor, the music is appalling, & some of the dialogue is plain naff. Despite largely good performances from the supporting cast, (Chris Neame is particular) i'm sure this film seemed dated in 1972.

For the record, i would rank both 'Brides of Dracula' & 'Kiss of the Vampire' above the last 2 Dracula movies. They'd both score a 7/10 for me. I think i'd perhaps choose 'Brides' as a marginal favourite, largely because it reeks of the classic gothic atmosphere that is the 'signature' of the Hammer films, & Cushing again is excellent in the movie.

Last edited by Wayne; 19th Feb 2007 at 12:43 PM.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Apart from Lee and Andrew Keir, there weren't really any other names that I recognised
    Not even Paul Eddington from 'The Good Life'?

Trudi told me it was really overacted - perhaps thats part of the appeal
    Obviously these things are subjective!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

I didn't spot him, to tell the truth...a late night viewing with the company of a good few beers might have had something to do with that!

Which character did he play? I'll have to check out my recording of it now!

I didn't spot Paul Eddington in that one...I know he makes an appearance in "The Devil Rides Out" .

Oh and as for Peter Sallis, sure I can't take to his character in "Last Of The Summer Wine" or indeed the whole programme which seems to be a retirement home for comedy actors past their sell by... however "Taste" I still rated well mainly because of Ralph Bates but contrary to popular belief Peter didn't drop it a notch for me

Wayne Guest

oops, Yes, 'Devil Rides Out'..... i think i got my films mixed up re. Eddington. I blame this hangover.

The Reptile 1966

I watched this one last night and I remember last seeing it when I was about 10 or so and it was really scary!

Particularly memorable scenes were John Laurie with that blacked face foaming at the mouth - I'm sure I looked under the bed for the next week after seeing this! As for the reptile it was the stuff of nightmares... plus all the opening up graves in the middle of the night to see the blacked bodies

It's amazing how as a grown up you look at these films and wonder with amazement why you spent a week or so of your childhood worrying about it!

Watching now I stilll see why I worried about the reptile as when revealed suddenly from the shadows half way through the film, it's sudden pouncing is built up to quite effectively to have the audience momentarily unsettled.

As for Jacqeline Pearce in the movie she looks fabulous - very sexy indeed! Never noticed that when I were a lad.

I think a 6.5/10 is a fair scoring for this movie.

It's not up there with the the best of the Frankies or Dracs but it's a reasonable run of the mill Hammer. If you're 10 years old though I'd give it a miss!

Wayne Guest

I'm very fond of this one. (surprise surprise!)
    I think the snake works well - The Reptile make up still looks very effective to my eyes. It's got plenty of atmosphere, & Jackie Pearce does look rather nice, doesn't she?
    I'd give it a 7/10. It's not quite as good as 'The Gorgon', which i'd give a 7.5/10. And Royal Mail permitting, you'll be able to see Jackie Pearce again in 'Plague of the Zombies'.

Did you see this one when you were of more tender years Wayne? Did you find the blackened frothy at the mouth heads scary? Perhaps I was just a sensitive child

Wayne Guest

No, i never saw this one as a kid. I didn't get to see this until i was in my early 20's when it was shown on tv one night. It is a very effective scene though!
    Anyway, i'm running a bit late today, & it's time for me to go & face The Horror of the Exercise Bike.
    See you later.

I've fallen so far behind whilst I've been off sick!
    I'll catch up with this thread a bit later.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I've fallen so far behind whilst I've been off sick!
    I'll catch up with this thread a bit later.
    Hope you're feeling better, Paul. I always look forward to your thoughts on this thread.

I'd second that - I'm looking forward to your comments!

Well I'm definitely feeling better thanks. I'll have a read through the thread and post my thoughts later.

I've adored the Hammers for some time now. They just have such a classiness to them, a sense of integrity, that make them far better than other horrors of the period. For instance, last night I watched a 70s horror called "Blood on Satan's Claw" made by rival corporation Tigon Pictures and it was a load of tedious, nasty rubbish. Absolutely awful. Hammer was in a class of its own, managing to essentially remake the same films over and over but still make them compelling viewing. I'm particularly fond of the Frankenstein series but want to see a few more of the Draculas. Ordered a few today, actually, as it happens.

My favourite Hammers would comprise:

Hands of the Ripper - fantastic musical score and a very sweet central performance from the girl playing Anna. I haven't seen her in any other Hammers, which is a shame. It's also a film that attempts to have something to say, rather than just parading monsters about for a giggle. Of course, at the end of the day it's still a film about Jack the Ripper's daughter going mental whenever she's given a shiny thing and a kiss on the cheek near an open fire (a combination of events that seems to occur every 10 minutes in her life), but it's still a bit of class all the same.

Twins of Evil - silly vampiric nonsense with overblown Western music, misjudged sex moments, Peter Cushing looking as grave as he's ever been and a Dennis Price cameo.

Horror of Dracula - just look at the cast, for God's sake.

The Devil Rides Out - again, it's a farce, but it's a very well made one with a fantastically straight performance from Christopher Lee. The sort of film that you now can't help watching without laughing, but you're laughing with it, not at it.

Revenge of Frankenstein - My favourite of the Frankensteins with a touching performance from the "monster" and Francis "Captain Scarlet" Matthews assisting Cushing himself.

If anybody's interested I reviewed a few Hammers at The Vervoid some while ago: http://www.thevervoid.com/media/secretive_menu.htm

Also, I'm writing a stage show which is intended to be a light tribute to the Hammer Films which I'm hoping to be able to put on in Edinburgh later in the year. Fingers crossed.
    "I remember because cherries send me into a wild fury!"

The Devil Rides Out is on ITV4 tonight at 10 and again at 1am. BBC2 is showing Circus of Horrors (1960) at 1.45am with Anton Diffring of Silver Nemesis fame and Donald Pleasance. Don't think I've heard of that one - is it any good? Both it and Devil have 3 stars out of 5 in RT.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Secretive Bus View Post
    For instance, last night I watched a 70s horror called "Blood on Satan's Claw" made by rival corporation Tigon Pictures and it was a load of tedious, nasty rubbish. Absolutely awful.
    I couldn't disagree more! 'Blood on Satan's Claw' does have a more straight, even realistic feel than the Hammer's, which are more theatrical/fantasy, but it's a very good film, IMO. Certainly not 'awful' or 'tedious', but especially not 'nasty'! If you want 'nasty', go watch Tarantino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    BBC2 is showing Circus of Horrors (1960) at 1.45am with Anton Diffring of Silver Nemesis fame and Donald Pleasance.
    I don't remember 'Circus of Horrors', although the title rings a bell so i might've seen it in the dark & distant past. I'll have to record it, & watch it another time. I may still be in the pub.
    Last edited by Wayne; 25th Feb 2007 at 8:19 PM.

I honestly can't understand why Satan's Claw is so highly regarded. Watched it with a couple of friends and we all agreed it was one of the worst films we'd seen in quite a while. And I'm a chappy who owns quite a lot of terrible films, believe you me...
    "I remember because cherries send me into a wild fury!"

I haven't seen "Hands of the Ripper" for years but I remember it seeming a compelling watch. The girl thats in it, Angharad Rees if my spelling's right I recall from BBC TV series "Poldark" back in the mid '70s.

Wayne Guest

I haven't seen "Hands of the Ripper" for years but I remember it seeming a compelling watch. The girl thats in it, Angharad Rees if my spelling's right I recall from BBC TV series "Poldark" back in the mid '70s.
    'Hands of the Ripper' is one of the few Hammer films that disappointed me when i bought it a couple of years ago. I sold it on eBay. I found it pretty dull.

'Hands of the Ripper' is one of the few Hammer films that disappointed me when i bought it a couple of years ago. I sold it on eBay. I found it pretty dull.
    I guess I'm a bit surprised about that. I guess looking at the opposing views on "Blood on Satan's Claw" and this one makes for the point that "one man's meat is another man's poison"

Wayne Guest

looking at the opposing views on "Blood on Satan's Claw"
    What your opinion of 'Blood on Satan's Claw'?

Well it didn't stand out to me like a "Wow" like "Curse of Frankenstein" or "Dracula - Prince of Darkness" when I knew I was watching something special....

I kind of saw it as standard fare of the era but I think I'll probably take another look at some stage as it's about a year ago since I watched it I think.

I recall the major that jumps out the plane in "Where Eagle's Dare" was in it as was "Anthony Ainley". Apart from that as I say it didn't give me that "wow" factor - I will come back to this later.

Changing the subject, would I be correct Wayne that you're not keen on "Witchfinder General" as I noticed you don't keep a copy of this one. I'm sure this one is generally well regarded as a key Hammer and last time I saw it I thought the performances were very good.

Wayne Guest

Changing the subject, would I be correct Wayne that you're not keen on "Witchfinder General" as I noticed you don't keep a copy of this one. I'm sure this one is generally well regarded as a key Hammer and last time I saw it I thought the performances were very good.
    It's not a Hammer film, like 'Circus of Horrors' above; the name rings a bell, but i can't really remember it. I'm sure i've seen it years ago. It's a Vincent Price film isn't it? I must admit that i'm not overly keen on Vincent Price. He tends to ham it up too much for me.
    Having said that, i'm quite fond of 'The Abominable Dr.Phibes', & he does crop up with Cushing & Lee in a couple of Amicus movies that i've got.