Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Battlestar Galactica

Finished the second season (don't do Sky, so no idea what's coming up in season three - which is nice. Spoiler free TV, wonderful!), and I've come to the conclusion that it's the best scifi programme at the moment. Hate to say it, but it pisses over the likes of Doctor Who and Torchwood. Complicated characters, very detailed stories, excellent ongoing arc, superb directing... Everything a scifi fan could ever want in fact.

Any other fans?
    I am out there... somewhere.

Personally I love it - it's one of the few series I watch which hasn't had a really bad episode (there are several disappointing ones near the end of Season 2, and one let-down in Season 1). Season 3 so far has been very good so far, with several standout moments
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

The disappointment in my view was the last episode of season two. Never been keen on this jumping a year ahead in TV shows... Still, there are a few interesting plot threads to deal with in season three, so all is well. I think my main problem is that we missed a year of Baltar's presidency... I personally hate the man, and am a strong supporter of Laura Roslyn, so wanted to see him get his comuppance... Maybe in season three.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Frankham-Allen View Post
    Finished the second season (don't do Sky, so no idea what's coming up in season three - which is nice. Spoiler free TV, wonderful!), and I've come to the conclusion that it's the best scifi programme at the moment. Hate to say it, but it pisses over the likes of Doctor Who and Torchwood. Complicated characters, very detailed stories, excellent ongoing arc, superb directing... Everything a scifi fan could ever want in fact.

Any other fans?
    I'm defiantly a BG fan and have seen the first eight of the third series, don't worry I wont spoil anything; but I will say that there is some very good stuff coming up in the third series.

-Andy

I wasn't overkeen when I saw the mini series, but I watched it having wallowed in the original and let that cloud my judgement I think - having re watched the mini and both seasons one and two, I can quite honestly say its one of the best SF series on TV.

Well said, Joe... I still suffering from withdrawal. Such a long wait until season three. I'm gonna get the original BG movie and TV series to fill the gap (plus, not seen that in a VERY long time, indeed).

Its funny you know Andy, but I actually felt like watching the old series was something of a guilty pleasure after seeing the virtually flawless, all grown up 're-imaginging'; there are some things that are difficult to get my head round with this new one still - like the characters have 'proper' names, and there being no different types of Cylons - having said that, there is nostalgic and there is recycling of old ideas - much as I loved the IL Cylons they belonged to the old series, and what the production staff have done with the new Cylons is amazing - the Centurions, though never at the forefront of the action as such, still echo nicely back to the Classic series.

Totally agree. I loved reading about the resistance to the new series from the old fans... But I think Moore and his team have done a brilliant job, creating the best scifi show on TV at the mo. And this from someone who started on Next Gen... he's come a long way since "The Bonding".

As for the Centurions. Loved the cameo from the original in the premiere episode of the new series. Very cute. And, yes, love what's happening with the Cylons now. It's so complicated, though. I know exactly what's going on, keeping up with it easily, but don't ask me to put into words exactly what appears to be happening. It boogles the mind.

Pretty much agree with everything said here, I definately think it's the best sci-fi on the air at the moment, and I can't see that changing anytime soon. I was very weary of the time jump at the end of Season Two, but it plays out perfectly in Season Three, which is turning out very nicely itself

Well, that's good to know. My problem with the time jump was that it left too many unanswered questions, and sort of ruined the momentum built up over season two. Still, it was handled pretty well. Very sad to see the state they'd all got in within a year, mind, after nine months holding things together. Hopefully Baltar's gonna go the **** kicked out of him for his screw up.

This is terrific - stylish and sexy sci fi at its best!

I have very mixed feelings about the new 'Battlestar Galactica'. When I first heard they were bringing it back I thought it was a great idea, but now- from what I've seen- I think it should have gone out under a different name because it isn't the 'Battlestar Glactica' I remember. I have nothing against the updating of old ideas, but it doesn't feel like Galactica the way Dr. Who still feels like Who.

Not to say it isn't very good, but I'm very annoyed at the way it's become fashionable to knock the old series. All I loved about the original series wasn't in the little I saw of the new one.
    For one thing- there's no Starbuck, which is an often repeated argument but a valid one I feel. What there is is a cynical 21st century Hollywood idea that removes the full point of the original character. There's a girl called the same name, but unless it's a charming cad with a cigar getting in and out of scams and being the relucatant hero, it's a big loss. That was a character I loved as a kid (it was Dirk Benedict for heavens sake- what's not to love?! )

I wish the new series luck and hope to watch more of it, but it's not the same brash family show I remember- and there still aren't enough of those around. At least it hasn't got that freakin daggit in it though!

I was a fan of the original series and watched it every Sunday. It also had proper opening titles with an epic theme tune and that great Patrick Macnee narration. You could tune in to a random episode and a whole family would know what was going on and what the premise was. Telly wasn't just made for a cult audience. Despite argubly better scripting and characterisation, I do think there is something valid in that simple showcasing of a series that modern series seem to lack, and I miss it.

The new BSG suffers from a slight problem. The story lines are certianly interesting but I honestly don't care what happens to any of the characters anymore. The new soap opera element is grating and plot elements are raised and forgotten with abandon.

Having said all that, the one thing I've always liked is how different it is to the original. Remakes are usually pointless unless they bring something new to the table. (New Who is more of a continuation then I remake but that is a story for a different thread.) It is nearly impossible to make a comparison between nBSG and oBSG because all they really share is a tenuously linked concept: let's go find Earth...
    nBSG has gotten more millage out of the genocide aspect but the storylies are becoming progressivly weaker. It's entered a holding pattern waiting for Earth, I say get there already. Once on Earth the show doesn't have to end. After all, when on Earth. Does Earth have it's own fleet or are they like us. How would we react if told the we were really from some other planet? Then of course there are the cylons.

Ok that came out longer than I thought it would.
    Every wolfs howl raises from hell a human soul
    William Blake

I really enjoyed the mini-series which kicked the new series off, but it soon began to lose my interest. The style just seemed to be too much like Space:Above And Beyond (a series which I wasn't particularly keen on) for me; also, I just couldn't really take to the characters enough to care what was going to happen next.

I bought the original series boxset last year, but it's only recently that I've had the notion of actually watching it. I skipped the 3-part pilot (I've seen that often enough over the years) and opted for the follow-up 2-parter, Lost Planet Of The Gods. I was surprised at just how enjoyable I found this to be, and even though I knew what was going to happen, still found that I had a lump in my throat when Jane Seymour's Serina got shot. No, it didn't have the same emotional impact that we'd expect in a similar scene in a series made today, but it was just a tinge of sadness at seeing a likeable character getting bumped off. Even way back in the days when this was originally broadcast, when viewers could be confident of watching an episode pretty much spoiler-free, the fact that Seymour was listed only as a guest-star must have acted as a spoiler of sorts for the audience...if she was one of the main characters, why would she only be listed as a guest-star unless she wasn't going to make it through the whole series?

No matter, I really enjoyed this one. I think I'll be watching more of this over the coming weeks.

The first series I enjoyed a certain amount, but it never became must see tv for me, and I did miss the odd episode or so.

The second series I love though, I've watched it over the space of about 2weeks thanks to my dvd rental service, and found myself watching each dvd in the space of a day.

Like nearly all US shows there's the odd weak episode, but mostly this has been gripping and fascinating tv. I liked the time jump thing in S.2, I thought it was a really brave move, and though I too feel there are a lot of unanswered questions, I hope S.3 will answer them.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I've found a site which streams tv episodes (pm me if you're interested), and so have been making my way through the third series of BG now, and I've got to say it's getting even better.

I don't know if it's been on Sky One yet, so I'll keep this spoiler free, all but to say that the events that are slowly being revealed about what took place between the decision to stay on New Caprica and the Cylon invasion are fascinating, and this so far is turning out to be my favourite season yet!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Eeek! I'm talking to myself! Someone help me out here!

I've just seen the final episode of series 3 and...wow...Now that's a cliffhanger!

I've thought that this series had lost it's way a little, but now a lot more of it makes sense...Whilst not making it at the same time as well. But I'm glad that it's finally moved on a little...Though I'm still in a bit of shock over some of the events which happened. So has anyone else seen it?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I got the second season for 25 a couple of weeks ago, and haven't got round to watching it yet. The first season was very good, but maybe a little too grim in places.

I'd say the second series is the strongest out of the three, though each have their individual peaks and troughs.

I can't think of anything else I could say which might not be spoilerish though, so shan't ramble for now.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Eeek! I'm talking to myself! Someone help me out here!

I've just seen the final episode of series 3 and...wow...Now that's a cliffhanger!

I've thought that this series had lost it's way a little, but now a lot more of it makes sense...Whilst not making it at the same time as well. But I'm glad that it's finally moved on a little...Though I'm still in a bit of shock over some of the events which happened. So has anyone else seen it?
    I watched it earlier, thought it was very good. Very shocked about some of the stuff that went on, I cant believe we have to wait until January for Season 4, seems so very long!

I'd also agree Season Two is the strongest, the opening arc and the Pegasus story are both excellent. I thought the first half of Season Three was just as good, but the latter half had a few too many 'Okay' episodes, for a show that is usually on top form every week.

Warning Spoilers! (Though I have wrapped the spoiler tag round em too)

I know what you mean about S.3, after the main initial storyline, it seemed to flounder around a little too much. And then after Starbuck died it just seemed bizarre, considering how much the series had revolved around her. And I'd read interviews with her that sounded like she was really p'd off, and announcements that she was to star in new show in the autumn, so they really managed to trick me in to thinking that she was gone forever. I'm really glad she's back however, bar Adama she's my favourite character.

I liked the way we got to find out who four out of the final five are too, and the final shot was fantastic!

Apparently they're going to wait till 2008 to start showing it so that they can do it all in one go, rather than having breaks from a week to a month every so often. I'm personally glad about this, it's so annoying when you find out the next episode's not going to be till a month's time (like I have found with Heroes).
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

They only had a month hiatus this season though didnt they? It didn't seem too long anyway, but considering we're getting a two hour Tv/Dvd movie in between, I'm not too fussed about the wait.

I was surprised about the choices for the final five, I actually suspected the Presidents Aide might be a Cylon ages ago, but dismissed her as too insignificant a character. She hasnt even been in any episodes since the occupation stuff wrapped up. Never would have suspected the Chief though, or Tigh. Tigh's my favourite character, so I was glad to see him pull the others together at the end.

Glad Starbuck came back! Not sure whether she's the final Cylon though...
    I was also glad Baltar was found innocent, and his 'Butterfingers!' line to Gaeta was hilarious

I'm not too sure about the hiatus side of things, I first got in to the show when it was on Sky 3 last year, then watched S.2 in January thanks to my dvd rental service, and S.3 in, well, you know how. It's been quite nice though, it's meant I've watched 40 or so episodes this year, without too many breaks, and now I don't mind having to wait 9 months or so.

I know what you mean about the final 5 though, the presidential aide has always been someone just vaguely in the background who I didn't really care about - though I suppose if it had been all four main BSG characters, it might have seemed a tad false.

I do really like Tigh, but I've wondered for ages how Amada's let him carry on in his role, I know they've been friends for ages, but the amount of mistakes he's made over the series' is shocking - and that's not even going in to his whole alcohol problem! I was surprised by it being Tyrol as well, but it adds new dimensions to his breakdown in S.2, and especially his therapy sessions with Dean Stockwell's character.

As for Anders, well, I just don't mind, he's not a character I really like or dislike, I suppose it gives him a new storyline to go down, which hopefully will be interesting.

As for the identity of the fifth Cylon...Well, I've no basis to think this whatsover, but I just have this really strange feeling it's going to be Bill Adama. I hope I'm wrong though. And I hope it's not Starbuck or Baltar either...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    As for the identity of the fifth Cylon...Well, I've no basis to think this whatsover, but I just have this really strange feeling it's going to be Bill Adama. I hope I'm wrong though. And I hope it's not Starbuck or Baltar either...
    I'm not sure it's Adama - when Tigh was on the stand during Part 1, he reacted to the music, however everyone else looked at him as if he was imaging it as he was drunk. Were Adama the fifth, surely he would have heard the music as well and reacted in some way?

Of course, who's to say the fifth model was on Galactica - perhaps on another ship there's a sole guy wandering around out of his mind - or perhaps he was one of the victims of the original Cylon attack in the miniseries....

As to the hiatus, it's going to be a long 9 months, although we do have a 2-hour TV movie coming up later on this year, apparently featuring the Pegasus during the original Cylon war, although all the regular Galactica cast will appear, and it will tie in to the forthcoming Season 4.
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Ah, that's a good point about Adama not being the fifth cylon, I'm hoping that's the case for sure because it would be quite disappointing. And you're right, the fifth could easily be someone we haven't been introduced too yet, though I have a vague feeling that it will be someone we know, tv writer's like to annoy like that!

Just out of interest, when Sharon attempted to kill Adama at the end of S.1, did she have any control over the matter, or did her cylon programming just kick in? I can't quite remember, and obviously it'd have implications as to how the Chief and co. react to now knowing what they are.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."