Thread: Post Moffat?

Default Post Moffat?

One day Mr Moffat will of course leave the show, I hope it won't be for a while yet, but it is eventually going to happen. But I've no idea who I'd want to take over the show. When RTD was going it seemed natural for Big Steve to fill his shoes, but with the current batch of writers, I can't think of anyone who would make a good showrunner. As much as I loved The Doctor's Wife, I don't think Neil Gaiman would work (and I know he wouldn't do it either with all his other work commitments) and the only other big name is Matthew Graham, but I've many doubts over his ability - I liked the last two episodes a lot, but Fear Her was fairly dodgy imho, and I couldn't get on with Ashes To Ashes at all.

Of course it doesn't have to be anyone relating to the series so far, but even then I'm struggling to think of a great British writer who would work. Bar the world of comics, I'd love to see Grant Morrison, Alan Moore or Peter Milligan take the role, but that's never going to happen.

So when the big day finally comes, who would you like to see take over the show next?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Yes, post him! Somewhere abroad where they haven't invented boats yet.

Si.

It's a tricky one, isn't it?

Perhaps we'll get a showrunner who's more hands-off with the writing. There's nothing written in stone that the Executive Producer must write five episodes a year. It would be interesting to have Doctor Who with a wider variety of voices and tones throughout a season.

It'll be the Chinball Wizard, we all know that.

I'd like to see Cornell or Gatiss, but both seem to be quite busy elsewhere. Having said that, everyone said the same about Moffat at the time, being involved with Tintin and the like. Although if Danny Baker gets his way, Gatiss will be remaking Adam Adamant by then...

How about Andrew Cartmel, he'd be a popular choice?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I now want to see Alan Moore run Doctor Who more than anything. Not just because it would be incredible but because the internet would melt through the raging of just about everybody from Ian Levine outwards.

I suspect that it's likely to be Gatiss.

Why? Well, he's got a close working relationship with the Moff. They've worked on Sherlock together, he's run his own shows before. He's the logical choice out of the current pantheon of writers.

But, only time will tell...

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I think it'll be Gatiss... but I really agree with Steve, that actually we don't automatically need a showrunner-cum-writer. There are plenty of shows that have a producer or producers, and then hire writers for different episodes - it's perfectly possibly to produce a good show without actually writing it yourself I think.

Perhaps someone who's not, gasp, a fan? It seemed to work quite well for the first 26 years. First 20 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    I suspect that it's likely to be Gatiss.

Why? Well, he's got a close working relationship with the Moff. They've worked on Sherlock together, he's run his own shows before. He's the logical choice out of the current pantheon of writers.

But, only time will tell...
    Quoted For Being-What-I-Was-About-To-Say.

Whoever it is should bring back the unique idea of having stand alone adventures if you ask me. It's the next logical step!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Whoever it is should bring back the unique idea of having stand alone adventures if you ask me. It's the next logical step!
    Agreed. Although, RTD had his own five-year plan - I'd love it if Moffat had something similar - two years (5 and 6) of complicated, intricate plots that span both seasons, then a year of completely stand-alone adventures, followed by a MASSIVE year for the 50th Anniversary, followed by a low key final season...

(since he's reportedly signed on for five years, anyway)

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

How about Joss Whedon?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    (since he's reportedly signed on for five years, anyway)

Ant x
    Nobody's signed on beyond July... yet...