Default Future Guest Stars

So we're six years in and a hell of a lot of big names have appeared in the series, but who would you like to see in the future?

After watching Being Human and Psychoville, I'd love it if Jason Watkins played a major villain (indeed I think he'd be a brilliant Master if Simm decides not to return) and I'd also really like to see Ian McKellen ham it up in an evil role - he does do tv from time to time as well, so I'm sure it's a possibility.

I'd also quite like to see Lacey Turner after her appearance in Being Human (and not just because I fancy her), and it really is about time Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton turned up too.

And you'll think I've gone mad with the next two, but I think it'd be great if Henry Winkler was in an episode or two - he's brilliant in Arrested Development, and was a lot of fun in the pantomine version of Peter Pan Paul and I saw a few years ago.

Finally, I nominate Stewart Lee. Yes. I know. Call me crazy, but I really like the little bits of dramatic acting he's done in the sketches in comedy vehicle.

I could go on and on, and probably will do later, but in the meantime, who would you like to see on Who?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Steve Pemberton has already appeared in Series 4's Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead.

A hell of a lot of big names? Only Derek Jacobi springs to mind for me...

Okay maybe Timothy Dalton and, at a push, Simon Callow too.

Selfish honesty? I'd like to see actors who had never really worked on TV before to play around the main actors and Special Guest Star of the day as the villian. And also offer the unemployed of Britain to be the extras. You could get them to apply etc, but they could only be extras in one story. (This is also to encourage a series of stand alone stories)
    Oh wait, FUTURE GUEST STARS right... er...
    I don't normally watch much TV other than Doctor Who and ITV 4.
    No, kidding!
    I'd like to see the man who plays Death in Horrible Histories appear in it.
    I've seen his Caligula!
    And when the actor who played Mitchell comes back after making The Hobbit and unsuccessful follow up films, I'd like to think I'd be around when he actually appears and the Special Guest Star in Doctor Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Steve Pemberton has already appeared in Series 4's Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead.
    I have no memory of that - so he needs a better role!

A hell of a lot of big names? Only Derek Jacobi springs to mind for me...Okay maybe Timothy Dalton and, at a push, Simon Callow too
    Well I'm not talking about Hollywood A-Listers, obviously, but there's been a lot of very well known names - Simon Pegg, Lee Evans, Kylie Minogue, Carey Mulligan, Peter Capaldi, Richard Wilson, Anthony Stewart Head, Peter Kay, Sophia Myles, Bill Nighy, Michael Gambon, and that's just off the top of my head.

I know you love having pointless arguments and always being right, but surely you get my point here?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I just don't see people who are always in something or other on British TV, often on the BBC, as any sort of "big name". Surely they're just precisely the sorts of people you'd expect to see in a mainstream Saturday night drama? If anything they're more a repertory group of familiar faces than any sort of coup. And I suppose I ought to google Sophia Myles but, aside from The Girl in the Fireplace and being David Tennant's squeeze for a while I have no idea what she's done at all.

I'd like to see either a genuinely big star, or someone I've never heard of, rather than just yet another person who used to be in Eastenders or Coronation Street.

None of the people listed by Alex has been in Eastenders or Coronation Street as far as I know, at least as regulars, apart from Kay appearing in a couple of episodes of the latter, but it's not what he's primarily known for.

He didn't describe getting any of them as a coup either, just that they were well known. And your own argument doesn't contradict that, because by noting that they appear on various things, you're also acknowledging that they are well known. If they weren't "familiar faces" they wouldn't qualify as well known in the first place. I'm not sure there's much of a distinction between the people Alex mentioned and the likes of Derek Jacobi or Simon Callow, whom you accept as big names, even though they could also be the types who can appear in mainstream Staurday night drama.

Anyway, some of the people listed have been more active in film or theatre or live events in recent years. Michael Gambon still does occasional television appearances, but he seems to be more of a film actor these days. I don't think Kylie Minogue acts in TV dramas very frequently either.

And I suppose I ought to google Sophia Myles but, aside from The Girl in the Fireplace and being David Tennant's squeeze for a while I have no idea what she's done at all.
    Well, there you are then, someone you've never heard of, which you were saying was what you'd like.

Thanks Logo, that sums up my argument perfectly!

Perhaps I should have named the thread differently - and just called it "Actors You'd Like To See In The Future In Who" - but the idea's exactly the same...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Richard Coyle but only if Jeff from Coupling could have a stint as the companion.

"Jeffery - you're shaking the Tardis, Jeffery".

Failing that, Hugh Laurie.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I'd like to see Michael Sheen actually appear in the programme. And for that matter, Brian Cox too.

I'd like to see a half-series of "Unbound"-style adventures, where the Doctor gets caught in a kind of "regeneration loop", and you can therefore cast the cream of British acting talent - names who'd normally never do series TV - as your "interim" Doctors for an episode each. Canonise Hugh Grant, for a start. And have Bill Nighy for another episode.

Hugh Laurie and Jason Watkin would both be great!

For some reason all I've been able to think of are Simon Mangan (Dirk Gently) and Richard Ayoade (IT Crowd).

Patrick Stewart, for heaven's sake, if he can do major stints in English theatre he could pop in for a quick Doctor Who, surely? Even if it meant there wasn't any budget left for sets or other actors or effects or make up?

Daniel Radcliff is going to be free in a few months, however he might not be very good. Certainly not Rupert Grint.

Christopher Lee!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Christopher Lee!
    Yes!!

I can just see him gloating over how he's tricked the Doctor. Then again, he could be a good guy for a change.

He's make a great Time Lord, in fact - of either (good or bad) persuasion. The campaign to have Christopher Lee cast as Omega begins here!

I would love to see Christopher Lee (born 27 May 1922) in the show, but I do wonder if old age is going to preclude that ever happening

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I would love to see Christopher Lee (born 27 May 1922) in the show, but I do wonder if old age is going to preclude that ever happening

sadly having seen how frail Christopher , looked at the recent Bafta's I can't see him being able to do much more tv/film work.

my personal choices for future guest stars would be daniel mays, and Rupert Graves.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    my personal choices for future guest stars would be daniel mays, and Rupert Graves.
    Hmmn.