Default Time Team - Album Reviews

I was just thinking that one of the things I really miss from old PS are the time teams for different bands. I know that they fizzled out after the big crash that wiped out over 10,000 words (maybe) on Led Zeppelin, but I enjoyed it at the time!

For those who don't know, Time Team takes each album by an artist/band in turn, about one a week and invites PS posters to write reviews of the album, track by track or more generally if they like. This way we get a broad spectrum of opinions for PS's favourite bands!

Here's a list of bands that we could conceivably have a crack at, limiting it to bands that don't have more than 50 albums, such as Pink Floyd. I think we should go for studio albums only, unless there's a really seminal live release in there.

Oasis - they've got a fairly extensive back catalogue now, with pronounced peaks and troughs!

Blur - the Anti-Oasis, although I'm worried we might lose everyone by 13.

Super Furry Animals - It's about time more of PS discovered this wonderful band!

Traffic - Possibly, I think they might be over the album limit.

Cream - Wayne will just love a Clapton based time team No, perhaps not Cream.

Also plausible would be The Smiths, The Doors, or even The Beatles if we're brave (official studio albums only!)

What does everyone think? Shall we start all over again? Who'd be keen to contribute?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

limiting it to bands that don't have more than 50 albums, such as Pink Floyd. I think we should go for studio albums only, unless there's a really seminal live release in there.
    Well, I know I've planned this for a long time, but, all being well, I hope to start the Pink Floyd Time Team in March, which marks the 40th anniversary of their first release. This is going to be an extensive overview of their work, part review/part discography, and will cover all their UK releases, including the dozen-or-so singles. Of course, I won't expect everyone to review everything, and so I'd be happy if people just wante to do the studio albums. However, with certain bands, such as Floyd and The Beatles (whom I'd really like to do afterwards - yes, I'm that brave!), I think you'd miss key single-only tracks if you just stuck to the albums.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    Well, I know I've planned this for a long time, but, all being well, I hope to start the Pink Floyd Time Team in March, which marks the 40th anniversary of their first release. This is going to be an extensive overview of their work, part review/part discography, and will cover all their UK releases, including the dozen-or-so singles. Of course, I won't expect everyone to review everything, and so I'd be happy if people just wante to do the studio albums. However, with certain bands, such as Floyd and The Beatles (whom I'd really like to do afterwards - yes, I'm that brave!), I think you'd miss key single-only tracks if you just stuck to the albums.
    I look forward to this!

Have Floyd done over 50 albums then? I'm still game. It's only about half as many as Hawkwind.
    Last edited by Wayne; 3rd Feb 2007 at 2:28 PM.

Oh go on then! I'd join in with the Floyd Piper at the Gates of Dawn is an album I'd be keen to check out. All the Progos on PS who did the Genesis reviews should check out the Floyd too.

Have Floyd done over 50 albums then? I'm still game. It's only about half as many as Hawkwind.
    They've got a Silver record-producing Machine!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post

They've got a Silver record-producing Machine!

Speaking of which:
    Did Sir's Hart & McCow ever receive Hawkwind & Corduroy CD's?

We did indeed - although with about 10 albums arriving over Christmas, they haven't had much of an airing in this house Their time will come! I'll be feeling super-progtastic after listening to Pink Floyd, so Hawkwind can ride in on the back of that.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    We did indeed - although with about 10 albums arriving over Christmas, they haven't had much of an airing in this house Their time will come! I'll be feeling super-progtastic after listening to Pink Floyd, so Hawkwind can ride in on the back of that.
    Some people have disputed Hawkwind's status as a 'prog' band, & in the true sense of the word they're not really 'prog'. Because despite having some great musicians in the band (particularly Lemmy in the days when he used to play bass properly, & Huw Lloyd-Langton on lead guitar throughout the 80's), their music is essentially pretty simple, fundementally. Some albums are more proggy than others, but they're no Genesis or Yes. They're more like a mix of early psychedelic Floyd, heavy rock, (& i mean classic Sabbath heavy!) & hypnotic, ryhthmic proto-dance music. They've always labelled themselves as 'Space-Rock', & they are an unashamedly drug orientated band.
    I'm curious as to what you'll make of them, but i think you & Si will prefer 'Corduroy'.
    Glad they arrived, anyway.
    Last edited by Wayne; 3rd Feb 2007 at 2:59 PM.

I'd be up for a Floyd one, especially as I like quite a lot of what I've heard, but haven't heard a lot of what they've done (if that makes sense).

There was also talk on old PS (I think from Mr Hunt ?) of a Queen TT - I'd definitely be up for that, although I think that sticking to studio albums for them is probably a good idea.
    Bazinga !

I suggest an ABBA time team!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm keen to do a Marillion one at some point. I'd also "help out" anyone who wants to participate but can't, due to not having anything

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

"Piper at the gates of dawn" is one of my favourites. They were crap after that.

I'll be in for a bit of commentary!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    "Piper at the gates of dawn" is one of my favourites. They were crap after that.

I'll be in for a bit of commentary!
    No, they peaked with 'A Saucerful of Secrets'. - @Dave

I can see this Time Team is going to be, er, 'interesting'.

Wayne Guest

I can see this Time Team is going to be, er, 'interesting'.
    I was joking of course, I love 'A Saucerful of Secrets', but perhaps rather predictably, i consider 'Dark Side' to be their best, & i've never been that fussed about what i've heard after 'Wish You Were Here'. But i look forward to having my views challenged in the way that the Genesis time team did.
    I still sometimes listen to my homemade double CD Genesis comp, as a result of that legendary thread.
    Last edited by Wayne; 3rd Feb 2007 at 5:53 PM.

Ah, don't worry, I know you were joking. Being such a big fan of Pink Floyd, I am really looking forward to hearing people's views, especially on material they may not have heard before.
    Last edited by Dave Tudor; 3rd Feb 2007 at 6:00 PM.

Wayne Guest

Ah, don't worry, I know you were joking. Being such a big fan of Pink Floyd, I am really looking forward to hearing people's vies, especially on material they may not have heard before.
    I'll struggle not to slash my wrists with 'The Wall' though.

And i'm only half joking there.
    Last edited by Wayne; 3rd Feb 2007 at 5:59 PM.

I really like "Animals" actually and "Meddle" is brilliant. I've never been blown away (man) by "Dark side of the moon" and "Wish you were here", although I recognise they're good albums.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    I really like "Animals" actually and "Meddle" is brilliant. I've never been blown away (man) by "Dark side of the moon" and "Wish you were here", although I recognise they're good albums.
    I like 'Meddle' a lot too, but 'Animals' is the one where i started losing interest.......

Captain Tancredi Guest

Part of me might be interested but then part of me remembers sharing a house with a violent alcoholic depressive Pink Floyd fan who made my life hell for about two years. I'm not sure I can listen to much of their music without being taken back to that.

I'd be up for giving this a go especially with bands I'm not familiar with, provided I could get the albums to listen to.

I'd love to do a Pogues one, if anyone else would (or could!) join in...and at only seven albums, it wouldn't be a long one, either...
    Stand up and fight, and I'll stand up with you!