Default Wii U! Nintendo's latest WTF

http://www.techradar.com/news/consol...details-591807

The Wii 2 is called Wii U

Nintendo is calling the successor to the popular Wii console the Nintendo Wii U, the company has revealed.

Talk about compounding the error...

Fils-Aime describes Wii U as "a system we will all enjoy together, but also one that's tailor made for you… unique, unifying, maybe even utopian? The answer is even yes to all of this."

The controller for the Wii U is, as was rumoured a 6.2-inch touchscreen tablet that also features dual analogue sticks and a front-facing camera, a microphone and a selection of start/select/home buttons.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata agrees that the first Wii U demo video "may have answered some questions, but it probably raised several others, too.

"Up until now, home console games had to occupy the TV screen in order to be played. But, the new controller for Wii U with 6.2-inch screen means you won't need to give up your gameplay when someone else comes in the room and wants to watch a TV program.

"Wii U was created so that the widest variety of games can be supported. That means those aimed at experienced controllers that can use circle controllers using both their hands, plus those games that can be intuitively played without the need for any buttons."

And finally, games design guru Shigeru Miyamoto says of Nintendo's new home console: "More than anything I'm really looking forward to new styles of play... There are so many we're just trying to decide where to begin."
    A Unique, Unifying, maybe even Utopian console? U gotta be f***ing kidding me!

Just watched the demo vid, looks just like a smaller, uglier iPad. Guess it'll be cheaper though.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I think you may have misunderstood.

The controller has a screen built into it, like a DS, but you'll be able to play games on a TV just as you can now with a Wii. So it's basically 2 games machines in 1
    (a) If you're playing on the TV then your controller's screen may show you images that your opponents can't see. Think of those split screens you get on multiplayer shoot'em ups or racing games. As well as seeing an overall picture on the TV you'll get your own personalised view on your controller, or map views of where you are etc

BUT

(b) If you want to continue the game while someone else uses the TV for another function, you will still be able to play using just the display on the controller.

If they combined this with the 3D display technology of the DS-3D, and put all the motion sensor stuff in from the current Wii, then this could be quite AWESOME (sorry, got gamer geeky there for a minute )
    Bazinga !

No, I understood it.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Apologies then - it sounded as though you thought it was just the tablet bit.
    Bazinga !

No worries.

It certainly sounds as if Nintendo has come up with a concept that is as distinct as the original Wii. They know they can't compete with Sony and Microsoft directly so they need to do something that they aren't doing (yet). Wii 2 does look to have massive potential but there is always the question in technology - why has no one done this before?
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I have a dream - that one day, I'll be able to look at a photograph on my phone and simply throw the photo onto my TV set, so that everyone in the room could see it clearly. The same with movies and computer games.

Perhaps the Wii U will bring that dream closer to reality. Or it might simply mean a bigger mess around the toilet seat.

It's been confirmed that the Wii U will not play Gamecube games. It's a slight pity, but it means that I'll have to track down a black GC to match my N64...

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

It's a slight pity, but it means that I'll have to track down a black GC to match my N64...
    Don't give that! You're gonna love trcking one down.
    I have to say that I didn't really understand the Wii U until I saw a demo of it but it looks quite cool.

Oh and car boot sales are the places to get Gamecubes. I often see them and not for very much either.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Don't give that! You're gonna love trcking one down.
    I have to say that I didn't really understand the Wii U until I saw a demo of it but it looks quite cool.

Oh and car boot sales are the places to get Gamecubes. I often see them and not for very much either.
    Cheers mate! It'll be a while anyway- I never buy consoles at launch.

Not since the N64 and my original GCN anyway.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Always worth waiting a year or two before buying new consoles. That way you'll know if they'll succeed or not and if there's a decent back catalogue of games. History is littered with far too many dead consoles to splash out at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Always worth waiting a year or two before buying new consoles. That way you'll know if they'll succeed or not and if there's a decent back catalogue of games. History is littered with far too many dead consoles to splash out at the beginning.
    *cries at the memory of buying a CDTV*

And as Paul mentioned, Gamecube's are cheap at car boots, you should easily be able to pick one up for about a tenner with a couple of games included.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

For me, all Nintendo consoles are a must eventually, because they are the only place where you can get a fix of Zelda and Mario. I usually don't buy consoles until they have been out for a couple years and had a price drop or two though.