Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've just listened to the three episodes back to back and really enjoyed them - the first two especially as I love any story which explores the Tardis, and this one did it brilliantly. The Glass Control Room was a particularly lovely idea, and sound wise was carried off perfectly. The third episode was still great, but I could have happily listened to all four episodes set in the Tardis - though that's a personal preference, obviously, and it nicely explained exactly what the hell was going on - well, at least most of it.

Performances wise everyone was superb but Paul especially turned in a great turn as a wearier and more worried Doctor than we've seen him recently, and Dave's darker, menacing tone was all very disturbing. My only mini-complaint is that Rob seemed a bit cartoony at times (Sorry Steve!) but bar that it's been a fantastic listen, and I can't wait to hear the final part of the story.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

My only mini-complaint is that Rob seemed a bit cartoony at times
    Well to be honest, Rob IS cartoony but I can understand why you felt Rob didn't fit into this particular adventure, though I think Steve does well to portray Rob's odd darker, more serious moments too. I think the remaining stories this season lend themselves more to the style of the character of Rob, and see him step more into the limelight just as Nick does in "Massanicassa".

Si.

I've now listened to Episode 2. I stress that the delay was because, having listened to Part 1 en masse, a time had to be found to listen to the next episode (this being a definate requirement after Episode 1's stunning cliffhanger!) in company as well; if it had just been me, I'd have done it straight away!

I thought it was great, in particular the build up of tension over the episode to its conclusion; the hints of a lost life and the echoey haunting flashbacks to Aaron and Esther's demise. I really enjoyed the Cyber scenes, and it was odd as I completely forgot it was me doing one of them so it was like listening to someone else. The sinister scenes of the two scheming Cybermen against the familiar doomy Earthshock music worked extremely well.

So loved this episode, and can't wait to do the next one. As work continues on the next stories in the season, hearing this makes me INSPIRED to be ever more creative with my own work. The production really is superb.

Si.

I used Rob a bit to lighten the mood in Massanicassa, because it's a bit grim in places (and as ever Steve did some ad libbing too!) but I do think this is one of Steve's best performances. Rob's a difficult character in some ways, because he's quite daft at times, so it's often difficult to write against that, because I don't think he's quite as daft as he's often made out to be. It's been good to pair him off with the Doctor in this one, as he doesn't tend to have much time with him in other stories.

Really pleased you've enjoyed it though Alex and that I've inspires Si!

Wow! Episode three just flew by! I'm not sure it was any shorter, I think I was just enjoying it loads. Which is odd since I talk a lot of the time and its still weird listening to yourself.
    Steve's sister can't half scream.

We're up to date now! When we listened to Part 2 it was so good we had to do Part 3 the very next night! We enjoyed it hugely, I particuarly love Aaron and Esther. The whole thing has a really dark, sort of horrible, undercurrent to it - what the Doctor has done, Nick's betrayal... I'm continuing to enjoy Pip and me as the Cybermen, there's something about those voices! Pip's especially good as the Cyber Controller.

This has sustained tension and interest throughout and is particuarly well scripted... one of my favourite audio's to date I think!

Si.

Episode 3 was the longest so far as it happens Paul! And it's great after the last couple of audios to have you back centre stage for this one. I think you're in at least every other scene!

So glad you and Si are both enjoying it so much. The Cybermen are brilliantly played- Pip and Si got it just right, the inflection of the voices is particularly great and feel very authentic.

This has sustained tension and interest throughout and is particuarly well scripted... one of my favourite audio's to date I think!
    Wow! That's high praise indeed!

I was amazed that Episode 1 and 2 were the same length within 10 seconds of each other.

I notice these things.

Si.

As was I. Don't quite know how I managed that to be honest- I must be an efficient writer!

Literally just finished...

Massanicassa: Episode 4
    Will the Cybermen triumph? Will the Doctor and his friends make away from Massanicassa alive?

Only one way to find out...

http://www.planetskaro.org.uk/audios...a-Episode4.mp3

Download now!
    Last edited by Philipnet; 19th Apr 2014 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Updated link

That was amazing! It's where your old-Who or four episodes meets the new Who of two part episodes.
    The only problem is I pronouce my name as "Ah-rin" but a really good piece of editing and performing that I'll try and have an omnibus listen some weekend ahead.
    Well done chaps and ladies!

I thought this was outstanding! The final episode was a perfect "pay off" from the previous four, and I really liked the way that as a listener I got to hear what I wanted to hear, Nick realise the Doctor wasn't at fault. And the return of Nan! Hurrah! And the lovely bit where the Doctor called Nick his son and recounted the story of their early life... bless you for keeping in my long-held ascertion that the Doctor sat on Nick's egg to keep it warm! And the ending with Nick finding his Mum again was lovely.

Just brilliantly produced from start to end, I have to say. The vocal tracks, sound effects and music all segued beautifully together. There was no hint whatsoever of the problems that we had getting the production together. It was just a great, epic story and I think Episode 4 was my favourite of the four.

Favourite line was the one linking "Massanicassa" with Milestra's appearance in "Echoes of the Protii". Talk about a story arc! Even Doctor Who on TV has never had a five year plotarc!

Finally, I have to say that Dave was just wonderful as Nick all the way through, and his sobs at the end of the episode would break even the hardest of hearts! He hasn't come on this thread, but I hope he's heard it and is proud of his performance.

Well done Si!

Si.

Thank you, both of you. It's been so much hard work over such a long time that i really had no idea if it was any good or not any longer, And with the last minute rewrites I really wasn't sure that it would all hang together either. I'm delighted that it does and that you've both enjoyed it

I genuinely don't know how you got the ending to work after a different one had been recorded.

Si.

I'm not sure I can tell you how I did it Si either!

Just listened to the last episode.

In many ways it's been quite a difficult story to listen to, rather etherial for the most part, so difficult to imagine the surroundings in which the charaters are in. I'm quite sure that it's just my own take on it, though, no fault of the story. I've been listening to it during my lunch hours at work, with all the hubbub of the office going around me, so I was probably not concentrating enough.

Having said all that, I liked the story. It was a fitting swansong for Nick, and as usual Dave was outstanding, particularly at the end when he was crying.

I'm interested to see how this season pans out now, and how The Doctor and Co. fare without Nick knowing that they'll never see him again.

If it helps Ant, I imagined the ethereal bits taking place in somewhere like Arc of Infinity's bad CSO Matrix, but that might just be my imagination not keeping up with me!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    If it helps Ant, I imagined the ethereal bits taking place in somewhere like Arc of Infinity's bad CSO Matrix
    That's kind of what I was imagining, too!

I just wanted to say how absolutely superb Dave Tudor is in this story. There's two of the hardest things to do as an actor and they're anger and sorrow. It's easy to go over the top with either of those and amateur productions often showcase examples of people going to far. But I think that Dave pulled both of those off with aplomb. He made Nick into a fantastic character and his eventual fate is a real tear-jerker. I think his acting, especially in part four, is absolutely first rate. Hurrah!

I cried......well almost!!!

Really excellent story. Great performances all round; the best of which were probably Paul and Dave (although a special mention should go to Susan and Si Hunt's Nan).

The flashbacks at the end were real tear jerkers - although I did smile through the collage of 'blur, cher, flare' jokes.

Loved the music too - especially the old Radiophonic stuff (but then I would)!

I know I always gush on these PS Audios threads but I can't say it often enough; they really are brilliant. I'd listen to these over Big Finish anyday!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get round to listening to this! I kept saving it for a quiet moment and only just seem to have found one! It really was an excellent story and probably the most emotional audio PS has ever produced, I think. Loved the scene where Nick forgave the Doctor and acknowledged him as his father (I remember this always being hinted at, but it was nice to have some confirmation, enjoyed the bit about the egg! )

I think this might be everyones finest performance too, the regulars are all on fine form, and everyone gets a chance to do something quite different. Dave does Nick's flipping between confusion and anger perfectly and Paul lends a great deal of pathos to the usually calm and serene Doctor.

Brendan's rather unhinged Daborn was great too, a tragic but quite menacing villain. I loved how his plan was simply to be alone.

I love Pip's Cyberleader too, he somehow captures all the little nuances of David Banks' performance. The Cyber music works brilliantly too, this really felt like an 80's story! I also vote this as the best Cybermen story ever!

The ending really got me, Poor Nick! A very strong ending for the character though, I thought. Rob realising Nick was dead probably stands as the most tragic moment in the series so far.

I also vote this as the best Cybermen story ever!
    Wow! Thank you Martin, that's made my day!

So pleased you enjoyed it. Actually I'm really delighted with the response to this story from all of you. I put so much into this, trying to get it all done and that everyone has really enjoyed it has made all that worthwhile.

You b******s! I'm almost in tears. Admittedly I'm still recovering a bit from Sting of the Time Bees as well. Rather cruel to write out two of my favourite companions within 2 stories of each other.

"Massanicassa" was Si Hart's story, and I'm sure he'll be hugely pleased you enoyed it!

Don't shed too many tears for Ed though - we wanted to write his chronological Goodbye story, but there's still stories to come set during his adventures with the Doctor!

Si.

Well I hope Si is very proud. So much to like in this but particularly loved the many references to past adventures all of which earned their place wiithout interrupting the pace of the drama. The "goodbye" was also a great moment. I was almost expecting a Bad Wolf Bay scene but I think keeping it short and sweet was much more effective and nicely emphasized the finality.