Thread: Johnny Cash

Default Johnny Cash

I'll never tire of getting into new music. It matters that much to me, and I love having a personal soundtrack. Now on the subject of the artist this thread is for, I'd always quite liked Johnny Cash but had bever heard (arguably) his two most famous albums- 1968's "Johnny Cash at Folsom prison" and 1969's "Johnny Cash at San Quentin". The CD re-sissues have extensive linear notes and bonus tracks (so you get near enough the full version of both concerts).

Cash used to do the prison 'tours' regularly didn't he, and his strength of feeling for the prisoners is more than obvious. He was a dark soul, Cash, but he also saw the absurdity of life with a great touch of self deprecating humour and he is a warm host to have to these songs- forever to entertain us after his sad passing four years ago.

I'm more than impressed. Far more than impressed. Now I understand how these albums were such huge sellers. I think "San Quentin" spent well over 100 weeks on the UK charts, and just missed the no.1 spot and "Folsom prison" also did marvellous business. There are not many 'country' albums that have reached the masses in that way, although it's often been said that Cash was just as much rock n' roll as country. He didn't wear rhinestone and cowboy boots for a start, and as one crtic has said "he was a badass".

I might have a listen to his latter say recordings soon. The "American" albums have been critical successes and ended Cash's career on a very high note. I've liked the single releases and whatever else I've heard.

I know Jeff will have a lot to say about Mr. Cash, but what does anyone lese think of him? It was summer 2005 when I started to lose my admitted prejudice to country music (although there are certain styles that don't gell with me), but Cash is somehow different. He is country, but somehow defies strict genre categorisation.

He's a bad ass.
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 4th Feb 2007 at 1:45 PM.

Wayne Guest

"We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout,
    We've been talkin' 'bout Jackson, ever since the fire went out."

I don't mind a bit of Johnny Cash. Not that i've actually got any, but my Mum & Dad had a few of his records so i'm not unfamiliar. The nearest i get to it is his daughter Roesanne, who guests on that Carl Perkins dvd that i mentioned on the Beatles thread. She sings 'Jackson', which is quite a pleasant tune, although i prefer her Dad's version. I also like 'A Thing Called Love' which is another nostalgic favourite, & 'Big Bad John'.
    I also remember 'A Boy Named Sue', & another song called 'Deck of Cards', although i'm not sure if that last one was by Johnny Cash or not.
    It's funny but i've not heard any of this stuff since i was a kid (bar 'Jackson'), but remember 'em like i heard 'em yesterday.
    Last edited by Wayne; 4th Feb 2007 at 1:44 PM.

Shame on you Wayne! Get a 'best of' today!

My favourite version of "Jackson" is by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood, but those two probably deserve their own thread.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post

My favourite version of "Jackson" is by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood, but those two probably deserve their own thread.
    Ah yes, i remember it well. Another blast from my Mum & Dad's old record collection! They had an lp of Nancy & Lee, & one just of Nancy.

These were the very albums: (amazing what you find on Google)

I liked 'These Boots Are Made For Walking'. Oh, the nostalgia!
    Last edited by Wayne; 4th Feb 2007 at 2:01 PM.

Whoa! Those look a bit shit...the 'real' albums are "Nancy and Lee" in 1968 and "Boots" in '67. Those are the official studio albums, but anything that gets the music to the masses!

Where's Jeff?! I'll wip his ass if he ain't in here shortly!

WhiteCrow Guest

I used to do a show for Burton Hospital Radio, and being the newbie, I got the crap slot and the crap shows - so I got the Jazz show which alternated with the Country and Western show.

However I always did enjoy Johnny Cash's work, seemed to have a real bite to it over some C&W stuff which can seem quite bland and middle-of-the-road safe.

Dave Lewis Guest

I know it's really a Trent Reznor song, but Johnny's version of "Hurt" is quite possibly the most pertinent and pefect song about my life that I've ever heard. It really does hurt, but it's so true.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Whoa! Those look a bit shit...!
    Thanks. I'll let my Mum & Dad know that they bought the wrong albums all those years ago.

My dad has hundreds of his albums but like all good children I thought his music tastes sucked until I hit my 30's when suddenly my dads music collection became cool.
    I'm trying to appropriate some of his albums under the pretense of transfering them to cd.

Wayne Guest

I think most of my Mum's & Dad's old records have gone the way of the charity shop, now. Well, 'Greatest Hits' type stuff like the Sinatra above, anyway. I sold their original 'proper' albums on at local record shops for them. They weren't in brilliant condition, reasonable but hardly mint, - but i got a fiver each for popular stuff like Elvis, & The Beatles etc....
    My Dad still has some original Elvis 78's somewhere in the loft, Early stuff like 'Blue Suede Shoes' & 'Heartbreak Hotel'. Not sure what nick they're in, but they might be worth something as they're from 1956!
    Last edited by Wayne; 5th Feb 2007 at 3:33 PM.

Well I went through my parents records the other week with a view to selling some of them on ebay for them. Strangely the biggest earners were a Little Richard record and two Gilbert O'Sullivan albums.

Wayne Guest

Yes, i had a look on eBay with a view selling the aforementioned ones for my folks, But similar records weren't fetching much, & it didn't seem worth the hassle.

Where's Jeff?! I'll wip his ass if he ain't in here shortly!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

First off, I have to say if you haven't seen THIS MOVIE buy it now (or rent it from somewhere). It's only 7 pounds for chrissake! Johnny and June oversaw the script themselves before their deaths, oversaw the casting, and insisted tha Joaquin and Reese sing the songs themselves (which they do very much in the style of Johnny and June). It's great film and an easy way to experience their music and learn a little bit more about them.
    Last edited by Jeff; 6th Feb 2007 at 4:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    I know it's really a Trent Reznor song, but Johnny's version of "Hurt" is quite possibly the most pertinent and pefect song about my life that I've ever heard. It really does hurt, but it's so true.
    It's been said that when Trent Reznor heard Johnny's version he wept. He has apparently since referred to Hurt as a "song that isn't mine anymore." From Wiki:

In an interview with Alternative Press, Reznor admitted that when Rubin first asked if Cash could cover his song, he was "flattered" but worried that "the idea sounded a bit gimmicky." The power of Cash's cover didn't fully hit Reznor until he saw the video:
    I pop the video in, and wow… Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore. … It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning—different, but every bit as pure. [1]
    BTW, if anyone hasn't seen the completely awesome video (it's got lots of video footage from throughout his career) for this song (or indeed heard his version) it is on youtube at the link below. Watch now!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AO9dbmJ_2zU
    Last edited by Jeff; 6th Feb 2007 at 4:47 PM.