Thread: Glasto!

Default Glasto!

Has anyone seen any of this?

I watched Beyonce's set last night and she was quite simply amazing. We watched Gaga at a festival a few weeks back and, much as we love her, she was dissapointing; teasing with her hits and doing jazz versions and obscurities and the like. There's a place for all that but basically this was a woman who had a stage of 172,000 people to impress and her album coming out the next day. This was the time to remind everyone just how good you are.

She just knocked out hit after hit; it was like Queen at Live Aid in 1985. "Single Ladies", "Halo", "Irreplacable", "If I Were A Boy", "Sweet Dreams", "Crazy In Love"... it was incredible. She then cleverly introduced her new single (which happens to be great anyway) by working the crowd through the early verses, involving them and at the same time teaching them to love something they can go out and buy the next day! Simple really, but astounding how few people "get" this knack (hello Lady Gaga). Just when you thought she'd run out of hits, she does a bloody great Destiny's Child medley and works in about six number 1's in the space of ten minutes.

She looked amazing, she moved brilliantly and she had the crowd singing for about an hour and a half. What an absolute superstar!

Apparently Coldplay were quite good as well.

Si.

I could have lived without 'At Last' and the obscure Prince cover but other than that it was good stuff yah.

We could have been there, but on reflection I think what we did this weekend was far better!

I would have liked to have been there during Beyonce, but not 5 minutes afterwards at 11.30pm on a Sunday night in a packed field.

Si.

I thought Morrissey was quite good. Some people thought his set was dull.
    Never understood why Plan B are as massive as they are.
    Might go, but I think it'll be for the things that aren't band stages.

Beyoncé was wonderful; so were Coldplay and U2. I can't ever remember such a corporate lineup of headliners at Glastonbury, let alone one that was so good. I was prepared to hate Bono and tolerate Coldplay - I expected to love Beyoncé and wasn't disappointed - but both bands were great, even though the latter were a little bit anticlimacticised by following the excellent Elbow. Conversely, U2 were not hindered by following Morrissey, who was dreadful. His singing wasn't bad, but his band are awful. Their butchery of the bloke's back catalogue was horrific; and you'd have thought that Boz Boorer would have learned to play it, considering he's been working with Moz for twenty years.

Elsewhere, the Gaslight Anthem, BB King, Kool and the Gang, Jessie J and Janelle Monae were also splendid. But you wouldn't have got me anywhere near all that mud on Friday.

Getting old?

Morrissey apparently turned up and grumbled "I know you're all here to see Coldplay" which for some reason I can't put my finger on is very much the "him" we have known for years but at the same time makes you want to say "Oh, just f**k off then you miserable old sod".

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Getting old?
    Oh my God, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Morrissey apparently turned up and grumbled "I know you're all here to see Coldplay" which for some reason I can't put my finger on is very much the "him" we have known for years but at the same time makes you want to say "Oh, just f**k off then you miserable old sod".

Si.
    It was U2 he mentioned, but yes - it was very Morrisseyesque.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Wells View Post
    Morrissey, who was awful. His singing wasn't bad, but his band are awful. Their butchery of the bloke's back catalogue was horrific; and you'd have thought that Boz Boorer would have learned to play it, considering he's been working with Moz for twenty years.
    This.

Didn't catch U2 or Beyonce, as the above, plus the intensely irritating BBC "presenters" put me off watching anything else.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild