View Poll Results: How would you rate Invasion of the Dinosaurs?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Tyranosaurus Rex

1 6.25%
  • 9: Velociraptor

4 25.00%
  • 8: Stegosaurus

4 25.00%
  • 7: Triceratops

5 31.25%
  • 6: Pteradactyl

2 12.50%
  • 5: Iguanodon

0 0%
  • 4: Brachiosaurus

0 0%
  • 3: Ankylosaurus

0 0%
  • 2: Apatosaurus

0 0%
  • 1: Brontosaurus

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: Invasion of the Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs? In London? Oh my!

The second story of Season 11 is a story of conspiracy, of time travel, of traitors and spaceships... but what do you think of this 6 part Mac Hulke adventure?

It's a story which gets let down by the poor dinosaurs models. They get referred to as Chewits monsters (probably because of that advert from years back where the monster terrorises WWII London).

Part One can be effective in black and white though it may seem strange to see Pertwee's second titles in b/w.

Malcolm Hulke didn't like the title, wanting it to be called Timescoop instead.

One of my favourite Pertwees, marred only by the substandard dinosaurs. But if we were going to "fail" stories on bad monsters or fx, then we'd have to give the series as a whole a "fail" as well. I'm just absoklutely enthralled by the story's atmosphere, that the thought of an almost entirely deserted London conjures up. And although the reveals of those who've been doing the double-crossing can become a little lackign in surprise, the "Sarah Jane in space" cliffhanger is an absolute doozy. I have nothing but love for these six episodes, and that's two stories in a row. Great start to the series!

Incidentally, the guy who's doing the restoration work tweeted this weekend that this will be released in full colour when it comes out on DVD.

Voted 7. Not a massive fan. I can take the dinosaur effects. It's just for all the double crossing in the story, it doesn't quite come off for me.
    Bit long as well. Could have been a four part story. But then people would be saying there's too much going on!

7 from me as well. I agree it's a bit long, though it's a decent story in principal. Length, the effects and more-oe-less the same cliffhanger used three times let it down somewhat.

IMHO, Hulke's best story for the show. I actually don't think the dinosaurs are too bad EXCEPT FOR the T-Rex, which makes it doubly (trebly!) unfortunate that it makes up three of the cliffhangers! But that aside, there's some good (or at least brave) attempts to integrate the monsters into the action - where the jeep drives under a tail in part 5 for example, or in part 2 (I think) where we get reverse shots on the soldiers shooting at the monster (it's a while since I've seen it, sorry, but I know what I mean).

And dinosaurs aside, the story itself is great - we're blase about it now, but how shocking must it have been at the time for Yates to suddenly turn out to be a traitor. The scenes with Sarah aboard the 'spaceship' are very good too, giving the story a twist and a fresh interest midway through.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    IM. I actually don't think the dinosaurs are too bad h.
    same here - when people complain about the dinosaur models I think that they are being a bit unfair and need to remember it was made 40 years ago on a shoestring BBC budget. I'm sure had they had the kind of money and CGI, effects of today those dinosaurs, would look fantastic but for what they had available I think they did a pretty decent job.d

When the TV Movie got announced in 1996, one of the guys at work turned out to be a bit of a fan of the show (I hadn't realised it before). He's a few years older than me, so was a schoolkid during the Pertwee days - and he fondly remembered two particular stories. One was The Daemons, the other was Invasion of the Dinosaurs. When I told him that, in 'fan wisdom' the dinosaurs are considered to be poor, he was genuinely amazed.

What I like about Invasion of the Dinosaurs is how it tips everything that's supposedly cosy about the Pertwee era on its head. In part 1 the Doctor and Sarah are arrested as looters, and even the Third Doctor invoking his status as UNIT's scientific advisor, which has worked in the past when he's been in trouble can't get him out of it and he's almost whisked away to prison.

Then in the middle of the story it comes down to the Doctor on the run from UNIT soldiers in the big chase. It doesn't feel right. It feels unsettling. When you add in one of the UNIT regulars turning traitor on top of all that, there's a feeling here that anything could happen, that nothing is certain.

It's a great story- one of my very favourite Pertwee adventures. Yes, some of the Dinosaurs are a bit shonky, but the story underneath isn't. I agree with Andrew that this is Mac Hulkes best work for the series. What a way to bow out.

This is a story that I'm really fond of. It helps having great childhood memories of dinosaurs roaming a deserted London...that's the sort of thing that tends to stick in your memory! My biggest gripe with it is that it's maybe a tad on the long side, it tends to drag a bit in the latter episodes, but not enough to waste the story. 7/10.

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    dinosaurs roaming a deserted London...
    Blimey! The Stones on tour again?!

One of my all time favourites, I don't care what the dinosaurs look like when there is so much else to love about it. If I cared about the effects I'd choose something other than Doctor Who to be a fan of

A good solid story, but it's always more about the characters than the plot for me. Each episode is 25 minutes spent with people I like. And admire. And really really like.

Lots of lovely Benton moments, Sarah gets plenty to do (I'd say this was possibly her best story), and I've never got anything but praise for Pertwee. And the Brig is excellent, mustn't forget him.

This is feel good TV for me,

I particularly like the Doctor getting his picture taken when he's been arrested.

10/10

One of my all time favourites, I don't care what the dinosaurs look like when there is so much else to love about it. If I cared about the effects I'd choose something other than Doctor Who to be a fan of
    Hurrah!

I particularly like the Doctor getting his picture taken when he's been arrested.
    It's such a classy Pertwee moment. It's the kind of thing that I doubt was scripted. Pertwee is obviously having a fabulous time in this story, mainly because he's getting to drive around an abandoned London in his Whomobile. Pretty awesome stuff!

The scene with the photos is a big favourite of mine too. I love his big grin!

One of the best of this season despite the poor effects.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

7 out of 10

I haven't seen this for ages, but remember thoroughly enjoying it.