Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Can things get any worse at News International I wonder.

This is the Newscorp microdrone that could be flying Murdoch's business empire into more hot water - they've been flying them without a licence (or 'License' in the US).

http://blogs.forbes.com/kashmirhill/...es-in-the-u-s/

In May this year, drones like these were used to capture aerial footage of the storm damage in Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    Can things get any worse at News International I wonder.
    Yes they can!

What an attractive man.

Si.

You should see him when he's grumpy.

It's all back in the headlines this week, what with the Dowlers giving evidence of how their murdered daughter's voicemail was erased, JK Rowling revealing how her children were targetted and lots of stuff from Steve Coogan and Hugh Grant too. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15876194

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

After nearly a decade, the Met have finally decided to take seriously the News of the World's interference with a murder investigation, where a vanload of journalists spied on, and tried to dig up dirt on investigating officers...

http://www.channel4.com/news/notw-in...lice-detective

I must say it's been news to me that there's apparently no evidence that anyone at all ever deleted any of Millie Dowler's phone messages. I'm sure it had been pretty much stated as fact that reporters had definitely done that. So even the media stories about how awful the media are are... just as awful.

Meanwhile, Murdoch Jr's attempts to deny all knowledge, even after the appearance of smoking gun emails which refer to previous conversations, are looking increasingly desperate.

Now he's admitting receiving the emails, but not to reading them.

'I did not inhale'.

I must say it's been news to me that there's apparently no evidence that anyone at all ever deleted any of Millie Dowler's phone messages. I'm sure it had been pretty much stated as fact that reporters had definitely done that. So even the media stories about how awful the media are are... just as awful.
    Meanwhile, Murdoch Jr's attempts to deny all knowledge, even after the appearance of smoking gun emails which refer to previous conversations, are looking increasingly desperate.

Now he's admitting receiving the emails, but not to reading them.
    Who do we believe now, eh?

I think it's fair to give Nick Davies the benefit of the doubt for the original story. He was given the details in good faith by whistleblowers in the Met, after the case had been closed, with the Yard having jailed a couple of scapegoats, and brushed everything else under the carpet.

In spite of all the evidence leaking from the Yard, they steadfastly refused to re-open the case, 'Move along now, nothing to see here', claiming that only a handful of people had been affected. At the last count, it was over 5800.

If Hackgate had not broken, Murdoch would control 100% of satellite broadcasting in the UK, along with 40% of national newspapers, and his pernicious grip on British political life would have continued unabated.

Oh dear.... Not looking good this afternoon, as Jeremy Hunt, Culture Sec reveals he's been sending his speeches to News International for approval before he makes them in the Commons etc. Looks like this Government, or at least part of it is in the pocket of News International.

I never thought of myself as a revolutionary, but the more that's revealed about this government (and the previous government), the more convinced I am that the entire system needs tearing down and starting again. This is just the latest thing.

I wonder what the political landscape will be in 30 years' time... will we have said goodbye to Labour, the Tories and the Lib Dems? Who will replace them - UKIP, the Greens and Respect? And, will they be any better, or will they all still be in thrall to News International or whoever succeeds them as the leading news provider?

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

The idea of the government getting its big pieces approved by Rupert Murdoch is pretty scandalous.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

There's nothing to worry about and Jeremy Hunt isn't going to quit.

Staggering.

Rebekah Brooks and her husband have been arrested for perverting the course of justice... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18062485

The actual charges from the Crown Prosecution Service are fairly interesting:

"Charge 1 - conspiracy to pervert the course of justice:

"Rebekah Brooks between 6 July and 19 July 2011 conspired with Charles Brooks, Cheryl Carter, Mark Hanna, Paul Edwards, Daryl Jorsling and persons unknown to conceal material from officers of the Metropolitan Police Service

"Charge two - conspiracy to pervert the course of justice

"Rebekah Brooks and Cheryl Carter between 6 July and 9 July 2011 conspired together permanently to remove seven boxes of material from the archive of News International.

"Charge three - conspiracy to pervert the course of justice

"Rebekah Brooks, Charles Brooks, Mark Hanna, Paul Edwards and Daryl Jorsling conspired together and with persons unknown, between 15 July and 19 July 2011, to conceal documents, computers and other electronic equipment from officers of the Metropolitan Police Service.

"All these matters relate to the ongoing police investigation into allegations of phone hacking and corruption of public officials in relation to the News of the World and The Sun newspapers.

"Following charge, these individuals will appear before Westminster Magistrates Court on a date to be determined.

"No further action will be taken against the seventh suspect.

"May I remind all concerned that these six individuals now will be charged with criminal offences and that each has a right to a fair trial. It is very important that nothing is said, or reported, which could prejudice that trial. For these reasons it would be inappropriate for me to comment further."
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wonder who the seventh person was? (Not me or The Lads btw...)

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Rebekah Brooks and her husband have been arrested for perverting the course of justice... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18062485
    In all fairness, and being serious for a moment, she probably is a witch.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Funny you should say that; look out for the cover of the latest edition of Private Eye! Seriously!

I've just had a look at it online. Great minds think alike....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I've tried burning her at the stake. Pity she's a vegetarian...

(The Goon Show, 1956)