Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Childhood toys you wanted but never got...

What were the toys you wanted as a kid but never got? We've all got a list of things we'd have loved to have owned but never did.

For me the big one was...

Though I suspect it would have been disappointing.

Mainly all the wonderful Star Wars figures that were eternally out of my reach. I was lucky, I had a few, one I kind of got one every few months or something and one on a birthday and was considered fortunate for that. I had a friend I used to visit and he had the Millennium Falcon, the At-At and hundreds of the normal figures. I never had any of the playsets or rarer figures.

Si.

Bigtrak. Wow! Bigtrak. You could program it to do things and stuff! It could bring you drinks in the morning! It could move stuff from one place to another, undaunted by moderately rough terrain! And you could program it to follow all kinds of commands!

Even age 5, I kind of knew that I'd play with it for a few days and then get bored. Perhaps it could have run over my evil Decepticon Transformers.

For the benefit of Mr Hart, I can reassure him that Mr Frosty was indeed disappointing. My sister had one. Now it looks simple enough in the advert. Chuck some ice in the top, turn the handle, and out comes a chipped ice slush drink you can flavour with whatever syrup you choose. One question: have you ever tried to grate ice using a manual rotary grater?! It was incredibly tough to do, you got very little out, and because it was tough it took ages and so it was always pretty much melted by the time you got a cupful to consume.

In the 80s I remember a large number of toys involving slime, and never being allowed to have any of them.

Crossfire as my parents didn't think it was safe with the ball bearings.

I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Ooh - I too wanted a BigTrak, but got a George instead ...

Oh my, it looks kind of naff now ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

To be fair, I think it probably looked naff then too...

Every Christmas from the age of about 5 through to 8, I asked for a Sega Megadrive.

Did I ever get one? No, I bloody didn't

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

One year just before my birthday I saw a Princess Leia in the shops. My parents tried to persaude me to go for the Luke Skywalker instead but, no, my heart was set on Princess Leia (aside: see the SIGNS people!). After I kicked up a stink, my Mum told me calmly that the reason was that they'd got the Leia figure for me as a birthday present and I'd ruined the surprise now. I felt awful.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    Every Christmas from the age of about 5 through to 8, I asked for a Sega Megadrive.

I had one in the early nineties and got addicted to Sonic the hedgehog before going on holiday then and coming home to find we had been burgled. My Sega Megadrive was knicked and I was devastated.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I always wanted a Simon too. Or a Pocket Simon.

I know that this was a good game as quite a few people I knew had it. Had a good name, of course, which helps!

I always wanted a Simon too.
    I got one eventually!

Si.

Super Mario Kart on SNES.

Despite now owning another SNES AND the game being available on Virtual Console, I've still not bought it!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Mainly all the wonderful Star Wars figures that were eternally out of my reach. I was lucky, I had a few, one I kind of got one every few months or something and one on a birthday and was considered fortunate for that. I had a friend I used to visit and he had the Millennium Falcon, the At-At and hundreds of the normal figures. I never had any of the playsets or rarer figures.
    I feel deeply ashamed now for my regular smugness about having had a cardboard Death Star, Si!! Must admit, though, my favourites were always the figures, they were the best!!

Not sure it's a toy, exactly, but I always yearned for a Soda Stream as a kid. I guess I just wanted to get busy with the fizzy...

Well Andrew, as a child who was blessed with Soda Stream, I can reassure that it was every bit as exciting as the advert said! Mmm - sugar based drinks with fizz! They couldn't sell that stuff now, could they?

We had one too. It was great when you put an extra shot of fizz in it and could hear the pressure rising in the bottle in the machine...

Unfortunately many of the drinks available to make were quite foul.

It's kind of interesting, I can't think of much I didn't have as a kid but burningly wanted.

I always wanted a skateboard but was never allowed one. I bought one at 30 and hurt myself *a lot* Mum's cries of "well you were always such a clumsy child, it would never end well" ...

Bigtrak was something I really wanted, although I did like my George robot as it reminded me of Vincent ...

But all is not lost ...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/de2e/
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I always wanted a skateboard but was never allowed one.
    Ah! I think we're getting somewhere here.

Was there a particular skateboard you were after? With the word 'ROSEBUD' on the side perhaps?

I always wanted an Atari 2600, but I never did get one, but all was made up for when they relented and bought my brother and I an NES for Christmas '85.

I always had a fascination with cooking and wanted a toy cooking oven that actually baked, but Mom thought that would be dangerous.

I wanted a home computer, but those were too expensive, apparently.

I did have a Millennium Falcon though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Ah! I think we're getting somewhere here.

Was there a particular skateboard you were after? With the word 'ROSEBUD' on the side perhaps?
    He he - could be!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Well Andrew, as a child who was blessed with Soda Stream, I can reassure that it was every bit as exciting as the advert said! Mmm - sugar based drinks with fizz! They couldn't sell that stuff now, could they?
    They're trying to -there was an ad on the telly the other night.

I wanted Suzi Quattro, but was told I was too young at the time... So I tried a bike instead, but I could never get the hang of riding anyone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    I wanted Suzi Quattro, but was told I was too young at the time...
    Have you always had this leather fetish?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    Have you always had this leather fetish?

Oh my ...

I preferred Toyah Wilcox myself - why is just a mystery ...

Hmm - I'm surpised no-one's mentioned the Dinky Eagle transporters or Thunderbird 2...

I had a Thunderbird 2, which was a great toy