Default Doctor Who- The Silent Stars Go By: Dan Abnett

For centuries the Maintainers have worked. With no help from other worlds, they subsist on the food they can grow and that’s little enough. But their purpose, their whole life is to maintain the machines that will one day make their world as habitable as old Earth.

Life used to be hard. Now as their crops fail, livestock sickens, and the temperature drops, it’s becoming impossible. This year’s Winter Season Feast won’t be the usual celebration. It’s not a time for optimism or hope – and it’s not a time to welcome unexpected guests. The Doctor, Amy and Rory find a society breaking apart under the strain. Tensions are mounting, old rivalries are coming to the fore, people are dying...

And then the Doctor’s old enemies the Ice Warriors make their move. With the cold-hearted threat of invasion, the real battle for survival begins. Or does it? The Doctor begins to suspect that behind everything lies a deadlier, and even more chilling danger...

A thrilling, all-new adventure featuring the Doctor, Amy and Rory, as played by Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill in the spectacular hit series from BBC Television.
    Coming Sept 29th!

Default Where did this come from?

I guess this replaces the Stephen Baxter novel we had heard was coming. I like the cover, though this time around I might wait for the paperback.

Stephen Baxter is never going to write for Doctor Who at this rate!

However, I'm sure DAbnett has a pretty good handle on these sorts of adventures. I hope the Space Marines turn up!

I really enjoyed this! It felt like a good two part TV story. The regulars were in character, the premise and setting were interesting and there was a lot of good, well described action scenes.

The only problem was that the Ice Warriors were rather dull. However, this isn't necessarily Dan Abnett's fault, more the fault that they're not terribly interesting monsters really. It did feel like they kept out of the story for a bit too long- too many scenes of them lumbering after people relentlessly rather than scenes of them together plotting and stuff. Maybe that was because it was closely aping the TV show rather than doing its own thing?

Anyway, despite that I thought it was pretty decent- much better than The Coming of the Terraphiles.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I thought it was pretty decent- much better than The Coming of the Terraphiles.
    IMO, that's not saying much. If it were dreadful, it would still be much better than Terraphiles. Nowhere to go but up from that dreck.

Looking forward to it...