Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    I think I may have left out Professor Endleman out of politeness as I wasn't entirely convinced by the accent the first time I heard Echoes although it didn't bother me so much the second time around.
    Yeeeeess, that accent was not very good. My first piece of "acting" since I was 14 & it wasn't the best. Nerves, lack of practice & tallent all contribute to an accent that is about as convincing as Dodo's cockney.

To be fair, we wern't neccessarily after an "authentic" accent though Tim. At this stage the play was a one off and a lot of it is geared towards comedy. A comedic Germanic accent is what we wanted and IMO you delivered it perfectly

Si.

I've given this a listen over the last few days and I'm still very fond of the story. However, I think the novella version of probably worked a bit better and that maybe we should have thought a little more about how to adapt it for audio than we did at the time. As is noted in the article, we did a straight adaptation of the story, adding new bits of Clear Waters in as well and we wrote far too much. Si did a great job with the editing when making it but we should have considered what we could lose and what we could add a bit more thoroughly.

That said there are some outstanding moments- the cliffhangers are all brilliant (athe end of pt 2 stands up as one of our best moments I think) and I love the ending and the sense of jeopody as the TARDIS comes spinning in and then explodes. I remember thinking that up as I was walking to work one morning, thinking it'd be great but Si would never allow it, but he did and ultimately that lead us into MHT and the wonderful structure and oppotunities we had to tell that story. We were free to whatever we wanted and that's so much fun!

Good performances in this one, some lovely distinctive characters- June River is great and I love Tim's Ol' Charlie, especially when he saves the day at the end after hearing the voices in his head. Lovely!
    Last edited by SiHart; 27th Sep 2011 at 1:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    To be fair, we wern't neccessarily after an "authentic" accent though Tim. At this stage the play was a one off and a lot of it is geared towards comedy. A comedic Germanic accent is what we wanted and IMO you delivered it perfectly

Si.
    There you go Tim, it's the producer's fault, in my experience it usually is - (last year I was directed to make my Aquarius solo "big" so I made it as OTT as I could manage, not really that surprising the critic didn't like it!)
    Just to reiterate I really liked your Mummerset accent in Soap and would definitely want to work with you (amongst others) at a future date...

Talking of the novellas, perhaps it might be a nice extra in some future generation of PS audios site to include the two novellas in the form of pdfs or something!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

When I was writing the long review the other night I was trying without success to find the "Here, There and Everywhere" bit as my original notes didn't say where it featured and I've just happened across it whilst re-listening to some of Charlie's lovely scene with Ant towards the end. Having vortex manipulating aliens quote Beatles lyrics is pure genius

Si- I'll bet you can't get the Jason Kane and The End of The World / Benny Season 9-11 theme into a future play!

Ooh! Nick's psychic attack and that explosion *still* give me the willies!

Having vortex manipulating aliens quote Beatles lyrics is pure genius
    I seem to remember that the "making each day of the year" was an adlib on the day, but it seemed appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    Talking of the novellas, perhaps it might be a nice extra in some future generation of PS audios site to include the two novellas in the form of pdfs or something!
    http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/taa/Protii.html

Don't the Si's (or should that be Sii) look young

Black hair I remember that!

Much as I enjoy "Soap", I think it would have benefited from being a two-parter, but of course, it was made in the days before we started doing them. I seem to recall not much happening in the first two episodes except people wondering around the Clear Waters, which led to some hilarious character moments, but not much in the way of plot.

It does have one of my all time favourite moments when SiHart's character delivers a line about 10 seconds too late while they're doing a scene for Clear Waters (intentionally, I should point out!).

I also seem to recall someone making a reference to "Chat with Jundrey" in the background of one scene!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Black hair I remember that!
    And an earring, apparently! Gosh, that really was back in the day!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Don't the Si's (or should that be Sii) look young
    Ha look at me there, likes Dolly Parton, sitting in a pub grinning and drinking beer.

Those were good days.

Si.

And for anyone who is interested, here is Soap: http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/taa/Soap_1.htm

Much as I enjoy "Soap", I think it would have benefited from being a two-parter, but of course, it was made in the days before we started doing them. I seem to recall not much happening in the first two episodes except people wondering around the Clear Waters, which led to some hilarious character moments, but not much in the way of plot.
    I think because these were one offs and we never really thought back then about making loads of them, there was a temptation to add lots of little comic moments and extra scenes so that everyone could be included. Which was a nice idea but does lead to a lot of padding. So in hindsight perhaps it could have been edited down a bit. Still I wouldn't want it changed now and it is a lot of fun. I listened recently whilst decorating and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've now got a page of notes of Keepsake (another 7/10 I think) but not enough time to write them up yet but just a final word from me on Soap.
    Looking back at my review I hardly mentioned the Doctor (apart from the great delivery of "Older Man" in the red carpet scene). Just to say I loved Paul's performances in the flashback sequence (especially the surprising change of attitude in the flash forward to the confrontation with Nick) and the final TARDIS scene before the explosion which was nicely underplayed.

It's true. When we were doing them, if someone wanted to be involved, you had to write them in a part. Later on, we could say ok, there's not a part for you in this but we'll use you later on.

Si.

My favourite bit was the sadness and resigned tone in his voice as he realises the trouble he's in during the last TARDIS scene. Paul playes the "I'm sorry old girl, I'm so sorry." line perfectly.

Keepsake - I've developed a bit of a soft spot for this one so it's another 8/10 from me

From now on I'm going to try and make my reviews a little more structured so firstly characters:

Ben - probably one of the main reasons I like this play so much is Dave Taylor's very likeable performance as Ben. Interesting that it took me a couple of listens before I twigged that the character is probably gay. His interplay with Rob is very enjoyable and his scenes with both versions of himself and Terry. As I've already said elsewhere I definitely think there's more mileage in this character.

Terry Johnson - Nicely judged performance by Jonno Simmons which leaves the exact nature of the relationship between him and Ben open to some degree of interpretation. Also very convincing as a shadow person when he returns from the dead.

Computer / man in video shop - nicely done Si with a few careful hints of menace (referring mainly the the computer voice there).

Passerby on bus- nice, I shall have a lot more to say about Mr Clancy when we get to the review of Magical History Tour.

The Celestial Toymaker - Interesting choice for a returning Doctor Who villain but very well played. Ant Cox becomes the third of four actors to play this character to date across the greater pantheon. (previously Michael Gough, Mark Thompson for Argolis productions The Nightmare Fair and subsquently David Baillie for Big Finish) and does it without trying too hard to imitate Gough which proves to be a wise move.

Linda McCow - Only in this for a brief scene which I love right down the inclusion of the Archers theme but definitely want to hear more from Rob's Mum.

And last but by no means least- Robert Gene McCow (love it )- Rob effectively has to fill the gap left by The Doctor and Nick's absences in this story as does so admirably. This gives him a real chance to show off the more likeable side of his personality and his expertise from travelling through time and space. Very well done Steve.

General observations -
    I am rather amused by the reference to travelling in the Bongo Bongos.
    (always makes me think of Alan Clark's infamous "Bongo Bongo land" remark).
    Introduction of Rob's time watch which will obviously has an important role to come.
    Ben's choice of music in Terry's car - certainly adds weight to my earlier contention about his sexuality.
    Loved Ben's line about unbelievable things happening on Hollyoaks and the mention of Giddi
    The reveal of the Celestial Toymaker's identity at the climax of Part One is extremely well delivered.
    I did find myself wondering how the Celestial Toymaker ended up imprisoned so I was glad there was a throwaway reference to the Guardians being responsible. Definitely something that could be built upon if the Toymaker ever returns. I couldn't help thinking during Rob's exposition that he and Nick must've had some boring nights in the TARDIS for the Doctor to have told them about the Toymaker.
    Love the delivery of "Computorr" (paving the way for the characteristic "Doctorr" in subsequent stories). Also love the referential "Spack off". Class.
    Is there a scene missing between Ben and Terry at the beginning. Why are they together alone? Have they just come from an extra curricular activity?
    As ever love the harp flashback sound.

One day we may play again - oh I really hope so!

Overall very enjoyable and well plotted. Short but sweet.

Magical History Tour - 9/10

Full review to follow tomorrow as I really want to do this one justice and I'm quite tired tonight. Plus I'd like to re-listen to Consequences as well beforehand.

I am rather amused by the reference to travelling in the Bongo Bongos.
    (always makes me think of Alan Clark's infamous "Bongo Bongo land" remark
    I think it was a Neighbours in joke, as Helen Daniels always used to go off and paint in the Bongo-Bongos.

I'm just giving it a listen for the first time in ages. Steve's performance in this one always makes me laugh! I remember recording this so well- there was a lot of laughs!

The performances are all really good- love Dave as Ben- he's really likeable and as Richard noted his interplay with himself is rather good. Jonno is great as Terry and Ant is really menacing as the Toymaker.
    Last edited by SiHart; 6th Oct 2011 at 8:45 AM.

It was the first time we really did an audio as in "let's do a play" rather than it being a big event that was staged on PS and discussed beforehand. I wrote it in about 2 days and because it was a short script, there was a small cast and much of the scenes were repeated (the time travel aspect) we had the luxury of being able to rehearse each scene before we recorded it, something which naturally everyone enjoyed but which of course we never got to do again! I was quite inexperienced in judging run-times back then, so the episodes came out amazingly short! Steve was never happy with Rob and Ben "diving down" to the ship and I remember he kept on about how they would have diving gear etc. Bloody actors, picking holes in everything!

Si.

Steve was never happy with Rob and Ben "diving down" to the ship and I remember he kept on about how they would have diving gear etc. Bloody actors, picking holes in everything!
    Oh don't mention that- he'll start again!

Interesting that it took me a couple of listens before I twigged that the character is probably gay.
    Dave Taylor? Playing a gay character? It was a bit of a stretch for him!

And where there any connotations to the line 'Are you still fond of... diving, Ben?' - who knows?!!

And were there any connotations to the line 'Are you still fond of... diving, Ben?' - who knows?!!
    There were the way you played it!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I think it was a Neighbours in joke, as Helen Daniels always used to go off and paint in the Bongo-Bongos.

I'm just giving it a listen for the first time in ages. Steve's performance in this one always makes me laugh! I remember recording this so well- there was a lot of laughs!

The performances are all really good- love Dave as Ben- he's really likeable and as Richard noted his interplay with himself is rather good. Jonno is great as Terry and Ant is really menacing as the Toymaker.
    Just did a google check and that was the Bungle-Bungles which I think I just about remember (randomly just found out that Helen had two sisters and one of them had a thing with Max Ramsay- honestly what's with the women in that family!)

I liked the way the Back to the Future scene was played with the two Bens but forget to mention last night - why didn't earlier Ben recognise himself?