View Poll Results: How would you rate Monster of Peladon?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Thalira

0 0%
  • 9: Alpha Centauri

1 8.33%
  • 8: Axaxyr

1 8.33%
  • 7: Gebek

1 8.33%
  • 6: Aggador

3 25.00%
  • 5: Eckersley

3 25.00%
  • 4: Ortron

0 0%
  • 3: Blor

2 16.67%
  • 2: Ettis

0 0%
  • 1: Vega Nexus

1 8.33%

Default Rate and Discuss: Monster of Peladon

The Doctor takes Sarah Jane on a trip to Peladon, and lands up in the middle of a dispute between miners and the the Federation.

Was this a sequel we needed? Is it any good? You tell me!

I'm laughing at, not with.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

No Andrew, this is YYY.

I really can't remember too much about this one. UK Gold or otherwise.
    So sorry, I can't come up with another 10 reasons.
    Oh hang on!

1. The Ice Warriors are in it.

But I still don't think I can vote for it. Sorry...

There's nothing ONLY about being a girl!

Good grief!

Err...the Queen is pretty and..............nope, can't think of much else!

Oh Dear!! Time has not been good to this one has it!

Basically, this is where I came in on season 11, due to a mixture of bizarre BBC Wales scheduling and our old TV breaking down I missed most of the season. But, my parents decided enough was enough and went for a rental set with good old Rediffusion, and so, Monster of Peladon episode one was my introduction of Doctor Who into colour, on Sunday's though.

I enjoyed Monster at the time, maybe it was the excitement of actually getting to see an episode at last, or maybe because I liked Curse of Peladon two years previously. I thought Monster was pretty good. But today, we can see how much of a plodder this actually is, it's not like it's predecessor, and quite frankly, not very good. And that's that, as I stated at the top of my post, time has not been good to it.

The first Peladon story was very good, this wasn't. I think it suffers due to poorly edited moments notably the end of Part Four, where you can see it's Terry Walsh wearing a white wig and doing a bad voice impression and not Jon Pertwee playing the Doctor. Easily the weakest of the season.

Definitley the worts of Season 11, but I saw it for the first time in about 15 years a short while back and enjoyed it.

I think it'd have a slightly better reputation if Curse of Peladon had never happened.

Huge fun. Not perfect by any means but its imperfections only add to its charm.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I'm with Antony: a recent viewing (two episodes a night, rather than all in one go) led to a re-evaluation, and Monster was certainly a lot better and much more fun than I remembered. Plus, it featured Blor and Vega Nexos who, thanks to their rather odd choice as Weetabix ambassadors for the show, played a rather crucial part in my childhood development into a Doctor Who fan. So it can't be all bad!

It's not so much that it's bad, just that it's frequently dull, quite boring for much of its running time, quite obvious and ineptly made in places. And what's the word? Oh yes, forgettable.

Ok, can someone provide us with ten (or maybe only five) good reasons to watch Monster of Peladon? Who's up to the challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Ok, can someone provide us with ten (or maybe only five) good reasons to watch Monster of Peladon? Who's up to the challenge?
    Like all great experts I merely plagiarise from the best - may I refer the right honourable gentleman to the mistress of Monster herself here
    Bazinga !

In 'The Green Death', Jo is assured that there would never be another miner like her Bert (not 'like Herbert'), who died tragically in a lift shaft/ maggot/ green slime related accident. It's a shame Jo left before The Monster of Peladon, because on Peladon there is a miner who is exactly like her Bert, the only noticable difference being that this miner has a hat made from a dead badger. And what's more, he dies at least twice!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post

can't think of 5 good reasons but I still like it..

OK, one thing that is good is that Alan Bennion manages to create yet another Ice Lord, and on his third attempt is still finding new ways to make Axaxyr sound and feel different to Slaar and Izlyr. Very impressive.

It's true to say that episode four, when Bennion finally pops up, is like a breath of fresh air - a bit like the Master turning up in Frontier or Colony, the performance suddenly makes the show that bit more watchable.

Good range of scores on the poll though!

3/10 for this, I think. Haven't watched it for years though, so maybe I'll re-evaluate it sometime soon. But quite simply it's too long, with a rather forgettable storyline. And dull. So very, very dull...Not even the presence of the Ice Warriors couls save this. The poorest story of the season by a long shot.

6/10 for me. It's one of the few Pertwee 6 parters which should have been shortened to a 4 parter (wouldn't a 6 part The Time Warrior have been fabulous?).

Gingers really don't have much luck, character wise, in Classic Who. Thalira is a complete whining mouthpiece until Eckersley takes her hostage in the closing few minutes- in which time she is given a great speech about the cost of Eckersley's treachery. Nina Thomas is simply marvellous in that scene. This rather typifies the main problem with Monster- everyone gets at least one great scene, so it's just a pity that most of the rest of time, they're snoozing through it.

Except Elisabeth Sladen, of course, who gives Alpha Centauri more character than the costume department ever could.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!