Thread: Primeval

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Also blowing a dinosaur in the pre-credits sequence was silly.
    Eh? I don't remember that when I watched it.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I think Si's confusing it with Doctor Who and the Creature From The Pit!

If next weeks is about insects and not dinosaurs (which looks fab) why is it always called Primevil?
    My dictionary defines primeval as "of the earliest times of the world". Given that dinosaurs are relatively recent in the timescale of the world, then there's no problem in having all sorts of ages-old creatures, especially insects which I believe are the most durable creatures on the planet.

It was either pre-credits or the first scene... the Dinosaur chasing the woman through the Asda car park. Remember?

Si.

I think it's just that Alex can't remember them blowing a dinosaur.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Oh very good, punish the BBC because ITV can't be bothered to think out a story line!
    Good point.

In that case I won't bother buying anything they show in the ad breaks.

That'll learn 'em!

The big predator was a gorgonopsia, a member of the therapsid order which preceded the dinosaurs. Cynodonts (from which mammals are descended) also belong to the therapsid order.

It's just words.

Si.

PS exists to entertain and educate!

Ah, it was just kind of a bad joke Si, as it kind of looked like you were making Primeval out to be a very, very rude programme.

I've just seen the trailer for next week's, and it looks fairly similar, but on the plus side the big bug monstet looks cool.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Oh I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I did say to Simon "is it a joke Daisy K?" but he wasn't sure!

Si.

I definitely rolled my eyes a bit though at the jeep hitting the dino - surely the jeep would have been crumpled and the dino barely scratched?!
    Yes and the guy would've had whiplash at the very least!

I enjoyed it. It was a bit daft in places but there's a nice little mystery with Cutter's wife and the dino action was good.
    I'm not sure how they can sustain the programme though? Surely its scope is slightly limited?
    Oh and was I the only one that thought that it was a little bit Stargate-y?

Also will Rex become Primeval's Godzooki or Scrappy Doo?

It seems odd and unlikely that apparently the time hole opens up in different places each week (but always close to where our heroes are?) and possibly to different eras. Surely there would have been more mileage and believibility in having it stay leading to one place, and exploring it.

Radio Times are tiring of the "wife" plotline in their preview of Episode 2 and demand it be "resolved or dumped". Seems a bit impatient, it's only been going for one episode!

Si.

S-Club bird wanders around in her skimpy knickers in this weeks' episode. So say the Daily Star (with pictures).....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    S-Club bird wanders around in her skimpy knickers in this weeks' episode. So say the Daily Star (with pictures).....
    I wish they'd get the government woman to do it, instead.

This ticked the boxes once again for me (creepy spidery things, a tad ridiculous but fairly huge monster-y thing, solid performances, a decent amount of cgi, S club woman in her pink underwear), without ever being anything exceptional.

I do like it though, perhaps it's because I just don't expect anything from it, and it's just pretty likable Saturday night fare. Which all sounds like damning with faint praise, and I don't mean to do that, I just can't really say anything more positive about it than that.

Edit: Just to be picky about something - if the Spider's hate bright lights, what attracts them to the very bright and sparkly time rift?
    Last edited by Alex; 17th Feb 2007 at 9:37 PM.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I watched it tonight, and kind of agree with Alex. There was nothing wrong with it (although I didn't think the CG was all that, except the last shot of the giant centipede falling down to the floor) but equally nothing 'wow' about it. And tonight's story was as simple as 'giant spiders in underground' without really moving beyond that. It's in a nice little slot, with nothing much in the way of competition, and looks nice. Fun, in an unchallenging sort of way.

Wayne Guest

I decided to watch the repeat, tomorrow.
    I just had to finish the Ring films tonight.

Tonights episode was a step up for me as it concentrated on characters(defining their roles within the team) as well as the menace from giant insects in the underground.This episode also had greater atmosphere and tension,as the threat was concentrated in one area as opposed to all over the Forest Of Dean.My only minor complaint is Doug Henshall's accent;last week clear as day this week less so at times

Two questions...

1. Why do I need subtitles to understand Dougie Henshall even though he grew up only about 20 miles away from me? Sounded almost like some sort of slurred Eastern European accent at times.

2. When did Spearritt nab Wendy Richard's hair and the body of a twelve-year-old?

Overnight figure of 5.9million/27.5% share for episode two.

Not very good. Some very cringey dialogue means I don't see myself getting to episode six of this.....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I guess 6m viewers probably means it will be back. I enjoyed last nights on a superficial level but... I just have a weird problem with this show. If Doctor Who didn't exist, I'd probably love it. But it's like someone has jumped in and decided to nick all Doctor Who's tricks but not doing them quite so well. We can't, presumably, have a "giant spiders" episode of New Who now, and next week they grab "killer Crocs" too.

I still quite like the missing wife subplot, though I don't understand why he didn't go through the anomaly this time to find her, as she actually popped up and invited him through! Hannah Spearitt isn't actually that good - can't act, rat-faced and the bit where she was in skimpy clothes was shameless. I despise the way there has to be a "geek" who "bets my Star Trek Top Trumps", "Luke Skywalker Poster" etc. It's like undoing all the good work Who has done to make Sci-Fi cool again - do they not know they are mocking their own audience? Or perhaps they think this is a realistic stab at getting Star Trek fans to identify with them.

This probably sounds as if I hate it, and I don't - I'll be watching next week. The giant insects were extremely well done, and a bit of fantasy thrills on a Saturday night (although I felt oddly unaffected by any of the creepy crawlies) is the way to go. But this is basically just lots of great computer generated monsters and a few badly drawn comedy characters coming under peril each week. Watchable, but at the same time slightly irritating.

Si.

I liked this episode & I thought the CGI was very good...the exception being the 'spider' that landed on the 'spook with gun'. Also, how tall was that mechanic near the start? He had his head & shoulders out of one side & his feet & shins sticking out of the other!

Aside from these niggles I quite enjoyed it. I was saying during the first half that it's a good that this isn't up against Doctor Who because it would get slaughtered but it is enjoyable so far.

The plot resolution was a bit ropey - what if the centipede had decided not to bite him on the arm? And why didn't it bite the geek when it jumped onto him?

Si.