Default Digging out those Catatonia albums ...

Hmm - been listening to Catatonia recently, a big band of the 90s who vanished early in the 21st Century. Well it was when you had to be ready ...

Amazing to listen back through their stuff, in some ways it feels very much like it hasn't dated much. The album Paper, Sissors, Stone is an odd one cos it came out and they split within a week, and it vanished from the shelves, so I've only just been getting to listen.

Oh and I think most of us with a pulse in the 90s were in love with Cerys Matthews ...

So what do you think - worth revisiting or best left behind with Britpop?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I have a pulse and I wasn't in love with her. Or perhaps folk of my "persuasion" don't count...

Si.

A good singles band for about eighteen months... Then it all went a bit pearshaped. The "hits" were all catchy pop tunes, though: You've Got A Lot To Answer For, Strange Glue, I Am The Mob, Road Rage, Mulder and Scully... and Cerys's duet with Tommy from Space, The Ballad Of Tom Jones.

Ah, the arse-end of Britpop... *sigh*

I quite like some of their later albums which were a wierder and a bit darker. There's a theme in Paper, Sissors, Stone about alienation running through the songs. Ironically the album I dislike the most was their most popular - International Velvet.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Killer singles, crappy albums- that's what I remember. the single with Space being the highlight of their career for me. Happy memories of that!

Personally, I hated The Ballad Of Tom Jones but loved Bleed, Lost Cat and Mulder And Scully. I really love a song of theirs I've only heard live. It's got "cocaine confiidence" in the lyrics. Any idea what the song is?

Not heard the last album, but didn't they split around the time of 9/11? I seem to remember the events weren't linked, they were just close to each other.

I loved 'Meldahr and Skellee'. Wonder what they're up to now?

I always had a soft spot for You've Got A Lot To Answer For, a song about a pregnancy test which kind of reminds me of when I found out I was going to be a dad.

Cerys is a DJ on 6 Music and TV presenter on...telly. As for the rest, I couldn't have named or recognised any of them back in 1997, let alone now.

She's had a couple of good solo albums too, in recent years.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I think she does a lot of singing in Welsh, which obviously ticks a lot of boxes over there.

Yeah with any band you tend to know the front man, but not so much those behind the mic.