Default BBC cut Torchwood Gay Sex Scene

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/07/19...gay-sex-scene/

British Torchwood viewers won’t see a raunchy gay sex scene because BBC bosses thought it was too explicit.
    The scene, with gay star John Barrowman’s character Captain Jack Harkness and a barman, has already been broadcast in the US on cable channel Starz.
    The Sun reports that a source said executives felt the scenes were simply too sexy to show primetime audiences 20 minutes after the watershed.
    The source said: “It wasn’t that it was a gay scene that worried people, but just the fact it was such an explicit sex scene, full stop.
    “You can get away with scenes like that on American cable channels, but you can’t on primetime BBC1.”
    A BBC spokeswoman told the newspaper that the gay sex scene and another which involved violence had been cut.
    She said: “The UK and US versions of ‘Torchwood’ are slightly different. However, these differences do not change the story in any way and the strong storylines are first and foremost to the series.”
    Last month, Barrowman promised Torchwood fans that the new series would be the sexiest yet, with “man sex” and “full-on” nudity.
    It says the scene has been broadcast over here on Starz, but it hasn't. If it is in Ep. 3 and they are showing it online... but it wasn't in the first two episodes which were actually broadcast.

Interesting - we'll have to get the blu-ray.

To be honest I'm not even remotely fussed about this. The fact that John Barrowman is playing a positive gay character who's the leading man in an ensemble show is enough for me. It's not as if it's been cut out of Torchwood altogether.

If it had been someone like that dishy soldier bloke that was in it once, I'd be writing to my MP, but frankly I can live without seeing the Barrowman cocking some old sort. One of the things that impressed me with Episode 1 was that they'd managed to make it through a whole episode without having to shoehorn any sex into it.

Si.

Sex and violence. Wasn't that the original premise for Torchwood?

The naked truth:

Earlier today, UK tabloid The Sun reported that "one of the most sexually explicit scenes ever filmed for a TV drama" has been axed from the upcoming third episode of Torchwood: Miracle Day.

The article, titled "Barrowman bonk with a barman is banned by Beeb", also states that the scene - which features "shots of Jack's naked bum" - was so racy that it had been cut from the episode.

It should be noted that the online article from The Sun originally stated incorrectly that the scene had already aired on Starz in the US (this has since been corrected). The scene will premiere across the pond on Starz on Friday night and on BBC One next week.

Having seen the BBC's version of the episode in question, we are happy to report that the sex scene, whilst edited, has not been cut from the episode completely. Jack's one-night stand is included, complete with some very raunchy moments from Harkness and the barman (Dillon Casey). The much-promised appearance of Barrowman's bottom has, however, met with the chopper (despite millions of people gazing on it in 2009's Children Of Earth), although a side shot of Casey naked remains.

There has also been much discussion about the different versions of the episodes but, so far, both Episodes 1 and 2 are exactly the same, aside from longer trailers at the end of the UK versions.

Am I the only one who sniggered at "Barrowman's bottom has, however, met with the chopper"?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Am I the only one who sniggered at "Barrowman's bottom has, however, met with the chopper"?

Hmmm I am a bit annoyed about this. Simply cos if you had a tv drama that was doing a gay storyline, the BBC would be very much "ooh we've got to show that, because we're a drama". But the suggestion is that sci-fi drama can't do that, and it's Plato's Stepchildren all over again.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Who are they? Did they get naked as well?

If you want to see a 50 year old man with his clothes off, there are easier ways to do it than to watch Torchwood.

Si.

Don't watch Zygon, Si! Don't do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Don't watch Zygon, Si! Don't do it!
    Oooh - horrific flashback time.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I'd have to say my first reaction to this report is that it just shows how far we still have to go in terms of dealing with homosexuality as a society. They cut it because it was an explicit sex scene, but the emphasis in the article is all on it being a gay sex scene, and they even mention John Barrowman's sexuality, as if it actually has any bearing on what he does as a professional actor. The sad thing is that it reads as if the 'source' is having to defend against an accusation of homophobic censorship. Programs are edited for violence, sex and nudity all the time, but as soon as it's a gay sex scene being edited it's in the papers.

Having seen the (edited) version of the scene in context, I don't think it has a context. It's mostly unnecessary (as is a hetero-shag that occurs pretty much simultaneously) and even if we saw whatever was cut out, it wouldn't make it any more relevant to the episode. But no Torch(I've got)wood scene will ever be as embarrassing or grotesque as the scenes with Gwen and Owen in series one.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Wells View Post
    But no Torch(I've got)wood scene will ever be as embarrassing or grotesque as the scenes with Gwen and Owen in series one.
    Quoted for truth!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

What about Owen and his pilot woman in bed? "I love the face you make when you cum."

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    What about Owen and his pilot woman in bed? "I love the face you make when you cum."

Si.
    Ah, I think the problem may actually lie in ALL Torchwood sex scenes involving Owen.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Wells View Post
    Having seen the (edited) version of the scene in context, I don't think it has a context. It's mostly unnecessary (as is a hetero-shag that occurs pretty much simultaneously) and even if we saw whatever was cut out, it wouldn't make it any more relevant to the episode. But no Torch(I've got)wood scene will ever be as embarrassing or grotesque as the scenes with Gwen and Owen in series one.
    I've just seen it and have to agree, it was pretty pointless and fairly laughable at times - the heteroshag especially. I also don't see any reason why it couldn't have gone out at 9.30pm, the most you see is a bit of arse and tit, and the BBC have shown stronger stuff in the past.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Well, I'm really looking forward to tonight's Torchwood now I know that my delicate eyes will be protected from the site of Jack's rear end... though it's not like it's something we haven't all seen a thousand times before.

"This is MASSIVE!"

Can I be the first to say "Such a lot of fuss over a such a tiny thing?"

It was a load of arse wasn't it?

So where is the third episode poll? I thought it was better than last weeks and we aren't even halfway through.

Start one! Anyone can!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    So where is the third episode poll? I thought it was better than last weeks and we aren't even halfway through.
    I got busy

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Wouldn't it be great if, in thirty years' time, this whole series of Torchwood was completely lost - except for the sex scenes that were edited out? I can imagine the documentary:

"Unfortunately, all that's left in the archives are these scenes which the British censor deemed too disturbing for delicate viewer sensibilities at the time."

Coming to the party late, if you'll pardon the expression, I can't see what all the fuss was about, really, and wasn't "offended" by anything. It had a point (about safe sex when no-one can die), so think it deserved to be there in some form or other.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild