Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Amy Winehouse Dead

Sky news are reporting that Amy Winehouse has been found dead at her home.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Oh well.

While it's tragic that anyone should die that young, I can't say that I'm overly surprised. Amy Winehouse's drink and drug problems have been well-publicised for years, and it was clear that she was never going to live to a ripe old age.

May she rest in peace

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I really thought she was going to turn it around and make me all eat all the crap after what I thought and had said about her.

Now she'll never get the chance. It's been a weekend from hell and I've no idea how things are going to pan out by Monday.

R.I.P. Amy.

I'm quite shocked and sad at this, even though she was often tiresome to read about. Never has someone done so little actual work but stretched it out for so long. In many ways, she was a genius as she invented a way of being continually successful without actually doing anything.

But there is something awful and horrible about her death at just 27. It's no age at all is it? Poor Amy. I don't know the details but she had it all - the voice, the popularity, potential, and she just threw it away. Yesterday, she had more than I could dream of, today it's all worthless because she doesn't even have life.

Somewhere her soul must be aching. She must be looking down, and back, and seeing the gift of life that was hers and slipped through her fingers. So rich, so colourful and so fleeting. She mustn't have been concious for most of her glimpse of it, and now she has only the emptiness. Poor Amy.

And so let the marketing men take over. Career-wise, without being crass, this was the best thing she could have done. She had the makings in every other respect of a legend that will be remembered forever, up there with Hendrix, Mama Cass and, most noticably, Janis Joplin - namely, an iconic image, a rich and timeless sound, and the fact that she never went crap. Her very few records now sit crystalised, perfect and untarnished, ready to be re-issued into infinity, pored over. Six months from now her fragile last recordings will be hitting the shops, their missing sections haunting and never to be proved less than great; there will be cheap biography books in The Works, magazine supplements, interview discs. Luckily, she never changed her famous look. She has prepared the careers of a century of cash-in merchants to come. All she needed to do to complete the circle was to die.

And all because she just couldn't escape, and couldn't see it. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe she enjoyed her time. But she never really looked happy did she? And so what was the point of it?

Poor Amy. That was it, that was her chance. What a poor, stupid girl and what an awful, awful waste.

I hope she rests in peace. But would you?

Si.

I never liked her music, and found her musically overrated in the extreme. However, it's terrible that someone dies at that young an age.

She had an amazing voice. She seemed set on her path of self-destruction, and I guess there was no turning it around.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

@Si Nice post.

Terrible waste of life. I never really took an interest in her music and often dismissed her as a complete mess but it's quite shocking and sad. I believe that the people around her could and should have helped her more; seeing first hand what she was doing to herself. I met her once when she came into the bar for a drink with, I believe, Corrine Bailey Rae. She really loved a colleague of mine and always asked for him when she was in. "What time is my lovely boy in?"
    "He's in at 2"

My brush with a flawed talent?

I was not shocked or surprised when I saw this news this afternoon. The way she conducted herself and led her life this end was inevitable.

My sympathies go with her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    While it's tragic that anyone should die that young, I can't say that I'm overly surprised. Amy Winehouse's drink and drug problems have been well-publicised for years, and it was clear that she was never going to live to a ripe old age.

May she rest in peace

agreed, she was sadly one very messed up person and just like so many other people with drink and drug problems this was only ever going to end up one way.

I wonder if they're going to dig out a few studio recordings and string together a final album.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

What a great talent pissed away. sad but not unexpected.

I wonder if they're going to dig out a few studio recordings and string together a final album.
    Now there's an idea!

Si.

Her record sales are reportedly up, so it wouldn't surprise me. Not that I liked her as a performer, and not that I'm totally surprised either, but it's shocking that she's gone so soon. Saying that, I'm not entirely ready to make any assumptions about cause of death before the post mortem. Even so...

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    What a great talent pissed away. sad but not unexpected.
    along with Brian Jones , Jim Morrison and Jimmy Hendrix all of whom died at the age of 27.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    I was not shocked or surprised when I saw this news this afternoon. The way she conducted herself and led her life this end was inevitable.

My sympathies go with her family.
    What he said. I only hope they can somehow use her example as a deterrent to others to not live her lifestyle, as opposed to glamorizing it.

along with Brian Jones , Jim Morrison and Jimmy Hendrix all of whom died at the age of 27.
    And Kurt Kobain, Janis Joplin and Richey Edwards.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    What he said. I only hope they can somehow use her example as a deterrent to others to not live her lifestyle, as opposed to glamorizing it.

I think it's very easy to say that but sadly there are many people in this world who no matter how hard you try to help them they are on a one way street to self destruction. I'm not saying Amy, didn't want to be helped I just think she simply couldn't be helped. She was a very fragile person who surrounded her self with the wrong kind of person who did nothing to help her decline and if anything were just as resoncible for it. As I said she was a fragile person and probably the one thing she needed most and maybe craved was a husband who would love and take care of her properly.

Hmmm - just out of interest. I noticed on the news for this, they showed footage of the emergency services taking her body out on a stretcher in a body bag.

Considering what we've been going through in other news stories, and I don't know if it's just me, but I had to wonder "did we really need to see this". She was a troubled individual, and what happened to her seemed inevitable, but she deserved a bit of privacy in her death.

I don't know if it makes much difference. It's not like she'd have known. It seems commonplace now, I'm sure we saw Michael Jacksons body being wheeled out, we certainly saw it on the fully televised wake.

Someone yesterday (I forget who, one of the many that has commented) said something quite telling: "It's not that she didn't get the help. She just didn't want it."

One thing I have pondered on is if you CAN help someone if they refuse that help. It's been suggested that drug addicts should be physically sectioned like others.

One strange thing that's appearing is that she seemed by all accounts to have been on her way up when she died. Her family clean she'd been drug free for three years and had been off the booze for some months. She's said to have been happy and upbeat and in a new relationship, and no drug paraphanelia was found in the house.

It seems everyone has assumed that she overdosed, but I'm starting to wonder just how she died. Maybe she had a sudden relapse? It's interesting the post mortum was inconclusive. The only other thing I can think of is that her heart gave out after years of her body being abused.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    and had been off the booze for some months.
    Although many people who saw her recent gig (in Europe?) claimed she appeared too drunk to perform. Maybe she was on some prescribed drugs?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I don't know if it's just me but I find there is something deeply disturbing about the mentality of people who thought/think that it was a laugh or ok to leave bottles of vodka or cans of beer at the shrine that has built up out side Amy's home.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...e-dignity.html

just a couple of pictures from yesterdays Mail, it's quite sad and shocking to see that photo of her at 21 to see how she ended up.

This

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...e-dignity.html

Why couldn't someone have helped her?

She should have been sectioned for her own good.

Si.

How do you help someone who refuses to be helped? And in any case, what makes you think people were not trying? Lack of success does not equate to lack of effort.

And frankly, without wishing to sound like I'm speaking ill of the dead, why should she have been sectioned while other drug and booze addicts are left to wander the streets and piss their lives away? Just because she's rich and famous?

How do you help someone who refuses to be helped? And in any case, what makes you think people were not trying? Lack of success does not equate to lack of effort.
    I was speaking rhetorically, partly in desperation after feeling sad seeing those pictures. And I mentioned earlier that I had read people had tried to help her, and she didn't want the help. You should read my posts more carefully.

Si.