Default First look at Marvel's The Avengers

Marvel have released charcter posters for next years Avengers movie, seen here at DoG. They look good, I particularly like the Hulk one...

The Avengers posters

Now this is something I'm really looking forward to - not just because of the characters / actors involved, and with so many cool heroes on show it should be pretty crazily action packed - but also as it's Joss Whedon writing and directing it. I know he's a big comics' fan and his run on X-Men was superb stuff, filled with great plots, a lot of amazing set pieces, but with realistic and often touching dialogue as well. Word is good from the set too, with Robert Downey Jnr recently saying this:

Well, I hate everybody. [Audience laughs] I’m not talking about the cast, I’m not talking about Joss. What I mean is I tend to look at a scene and say ‘This is absolutely impossible, we can’t shoot this, it’s horrible. I can tell you 10 other movies its been in, I refuse.’ I usually start off the morning by refusing to do what I’ve signed on to do. So I brought that attitude, happily. I just thought ‘How are you gonna put all of us clowns together? He’s wearing a suit, he’s all jacked up, he’s so and so and poor Mark Ruffalo, he’s gonna out do us’. And we’re about six weeks in and I have to say Joss Whedon is nailing it. He’s so smart and so good. And it’s gonna be great. I can’t believe I just said it, I never could’ve believed this but it’s gonna be great.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I can't believe that they're doing this! Even though I've seen the poster. Eight stars from different movies all appearing together in one movie with a shedload of CGI?

And who's the villain? Doctor Doom? Alan Moore?

They could spend at least an hour and a half just getting everyone together!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    And who's the villain? Doctor Doom? Alan Moore?
    Ebenezer Wallis knows nothing. Neither do The Lads.

I sort-of got the idea from Thor that it might be Loki. It'd probably need to be someone powerful. Which reminds me, the end of Rise Of The Silver Surfer suggests that Galactus is still out there.

Perhaps they could all their origin stories. That would fill the running time!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    Ebenezer Wallis knows nothing. Neither do The Lads.

I sort-of got the idea from Thor that it might be Loki. It'd probably need to be someone powerful. Which reminds me, the end of Rise Of The Silver Surfer suggests that Galactus is still out there.
    Loki is definitely in the movie, he's listed on the IMDB page, but I agree they'll need someone more powerful than that. I'm not sure who though...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Loki is definitely in the movie, he's listed on the IMDB page, but I agree they'll need someone more powerful than that. I'm not sure who though...
    Would they actually be able to use Galactus though? I'm not sure how film rights etc work, who would have the rights to the character now? Of course, as the version of Galactus used in the FF movie was totally different to what has always appeared in comics there could possibly be a way to work round any potential problems. At the end of the day the character belongs to Marvel, though regardless of what has happened before.

I'm unfamiliar with most of these, Wikipedia suggsests some of the following oddball-sounding villains:
    the mysterious Proctor
    the Shi'ar warrior Deathcry
    the Grim Reaper
    Ultron
    Count Nefaria
    Kang the Conqueror
    Hawkeye
    the Scarlet Witch
    Quicksilver
    the Super Adaptoid
    Zeus
    Nebula
    Doctor Doom, Magneto, Kingpin, Mandarin, Wizard, and Red Skull (Team up!)
    And of course, Egghead. (Wasn't he a Batman villain?)

So there's no real shortage of villains. The Avengers appear to have yanked the chain of everyone in the Universe!

What I'd really like to see though are The Avengers going up against either Batman and Superman (does that make me a fanboy?), or at a push, Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman.

From that list, Kang is the most obvious. It's a long time since I read any of these stories, so the fine detail may be wrong; but in a nutshell, he's a tyrant, a dictator...the ruler of the Earth at some time in the future (30th or 40th Century or something like that) who has discovered the secret of time-travel. Not content with ruling Earth in his own time period, his goal is to re-write history and become ruler of the Earth through all time.

I'm unfamiliar with most of these, Wikipedia suggsests some of the following oddball-sounding villains:
    the mysterious Proctor
    the Shi'ar warrior Deathcry
    the Grim Reaper
    Ultron
    Count Nefaria
    Kang the Conqueror
    Hawkeye
    the Scarlet Witch
    Quicksilver
    the Super Adaptoid
    Zeus
    Nebula
    Doctor Doom, Magneto, Kingpin, Mandarin, Wizard, and Red Skull (Team up!)
    And of course, Egghead. (Wasn't he a Batman villain?)

So there's no real shortage of villains. The Avengers appear to have yanked the chain of everyone in the Universe!

Well Hawkeye is in the film as an Avenger; Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch have been members in the comics; and Batman did fight Egghead in the TV series - passing resemblance to Vincent Price as I recall...

What I'd really like to see though are The Avengers going up against either Batman and Superman (does that make me a fanboy?)
    Yes. Get off this site!