Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Sorry this post is huge but look at it!

*shame" Well that's what I got for listening to a leaked album!
    I intend to get a ticket for Liverpool as it just so happens British Sea Power are another band I like so I'm at their support slots!
    And to further make ammends:

I think largely the Manics are a teensy bit past it nowadays but they were such an important band to me that I can't help but love them. And I didn't think their last album was bleak!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I think largely the Manics are a teensy bit past it nowadays but they were such an important band to me that I can't help but love them. And I didn't think their last album was bleak!
    I agree - there was definitely more than a touch of melancholy about it, but there was hardly anything (except perhaps Doors Closing Slowly) that was anywhere near as bleak as The Holy Bible.

Oh, and I also agree about them being a bit past it; and about still loving them. I've been a fan since I was 16, and now at more than double that, I still am. I'm looking forward to this, like I always am.

Good to see Duff McKagan playing on it - as adequate a bassist as Nicky himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Wells
    I love this band, irrespective of how much crap they've littered recent albums with. I'm a fan, I'll always be a fan
    ...said me in February 2007 - and that was in the dull haze in-between Lifeblood and Send Away The Tigers. We never did that Shepherd's Bush Empire gig, Paul...

I did get my ticket for 8th October Liverpool University after all!
    And two days after my 36th birthday! So far only Aberdeen has sold out, but the dates will fill up in time. I have a feeling the success of this record could mean you next see the band in stadiums? I'm seeing it as a "Last chance to see" event. And yes, it's weird how the band have been with me for as long as they have? Not to mention the dysfunctional relationship I have with them!

We never did that Shepherd's Bush Empire gig, Paul...
    No we never did. Maybe we should give it another try.

Was listening to Generation Terrorists again for the first time in a long time and it was great. However it does make me cringe seeing James now perform Stay Beautiful.
    I think they just need to realise the ridiculousness of what they've become and just enjoy playing old man rock and have a good time! Which they did on Send Away the Tigers and thats a decent enough album.

Quote Originally Posted by The Manics
    (It's Not War) - Just The End Of Love will be the Manics' new single and will be released on 13th September 2010. It's taken from their tenth studio album Postcards From A Young Man - a joyous, euphoric sounding blast of classic pop rock that'll be released the following week.

The band have also confirmed the track listing for the new record which features guest vocals from Ian McCulloch on Some Kind of Nothingness, John Cale on piano (Auto-Intoxication) and Duff McKagen playing bass (A Billion Balconies Facing The Sun). Nicky Wire sings lead vocals on The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever alongside Sean Moore on the trumpet.

Tracklisting

(It's Not War) - Just The End Of Love
    Postcards From A Young Man
    Some Kind Of Nothingness (feat. Ian McCulloch)
    The Descent – (Pages 1 & 2)
    Hazleton Avenue
    Auto-Intoxication
    Golden Platitudes
    I Think I've Found It
    A Billion Balconies Facing The Sun
    All We Make Is Entertainment
    The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever
    Don't Be Evil
    Oh dear. Some of these songtitles are not even funny bad.

Don't be Evil is a particularly poor title.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Don't be Evil is a particularly poor title.

Si xx
    That's the one that leaped to my eye in particular, Si - it's simply dreadful. However, a dishonourable mention must go to Golden Platitudes and The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever as well.

I hope the songs are better than their names.

:wayne http://www.the-fly.co.uk/words/featu.../-first-listen

Well that review has sold me over! Looks like this is the one where they try to be our friends? This could be the only Manic Street Preachers record anyone really needs to buy!
    Not bothering looking for or hearing a leak.
    If the idea is the last type of Classic Rock album then I may as well hear it on day of release like I did in the classic days...
    Be back to this thread in September then!

The Fly, eh? Does this mean I can finally abandon the wretched NME website for all my indie music news?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I enjoyed Send Away the Tigers and I loved Journal for Plague Lovers so I'm quite hopeful about this album, despite the txt speak titles.

But the Manics today are sort of like your dad. When you were young you thought he was a hero and could do everything. Now you're older you realise he's just a fallable old man, with limitations, peddling the same jokes he has for 40 years but you still love him.

That's a brilliant way of describing them Paul!

I haven't heard the last two albums, maybe I should. I sort of lost paitence with them after TIMTTMY.

Si xx

http://www.akirathedon.com/2010/07/l...e-end-of-love/

I wasn't listening to Radio 2 the other day.

For fans who entered gig competition we didn't know about, the Manics released a b-side from the upcoming first single as a thank you.
    I didn't enter it... but somebody on You Tube did!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Ojl5_clZk

Album is a top three smash.

I'm going to see them at the end of October!

Si.

I'm giving a cautious thumbs-up to Postcards From A Young Man; although nothing is quite as impressive as '(It's Not War) It's Just The End Of Love' (their best lead off single since A Design For Life), there's still a great deal of fun to be had - not least marvelling (i.e. chuckling) at some of Nicky's lyrics, which as ever, veer from the poetic to the pathetic. Often in the same verse. Thankfully, the music is almost uniformly superb: a Bradfield triumph. To sum up, it's better than anything they've done in the last decade (except Journal For Plague Lovers).

Top tunes include: Auto-Intoxication, Hazelton Avenue and All We Make Is Entertainment.

I downloaded the whole album for the princely sum of five bills and forty nine kerchings from Tune Tribe. I shall be listening today.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I downloaded the whole album for the princely sum of five bills and forty nine kerchings from Tune Tribe. I shall be listening today.

Si.
    Beware the Wire vocals!

Was it my hearing or do he and James share vocals on an early track?

I really like the first four or five tracks!

Si.

I'm really liking '(It's Not War) It's Just The End Of Love', which depsite its silly title is a great song.

Si xx

The title is either silly or Amazing.

Si.

That's a constant battle with the Manics.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Was it my hearing or do he and James share vocals on an early track?
    Si.
    If the song in question is track three, "Some Kind of Nothingness", then it isn't Nicky singing with James; it's Ian McCulloch of Echo and the Bunnymen. Nicky's vocal excitement doesn't arrive until later...