Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stuff About Silent Hill

A thread to discuss Silent Hill.

I'm late to the party (coming in around 2007) but I love these games more than first person shooters or driving games.

I started with Silent Hill 2. The hospital level was one of my favourite parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2bQl5iDmnY

I then moved to Silent Hill 3. When you get to the subway, don't read the newspaper and the occult book on the staircase or this happens!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cIjh8pATnE

I went next to Silent Hill 4. Some controversy about this game. It wasn't intended to be a Silent Hill game when it started, but they soon found a way to incorporate it into the series. And if you've never seen it before, watch the intro film that plays when you don't press anything on the menu screen. Please watch it on full screen and with headphones!
    (Seriously, I was seeing floating white heads above my wardrobe after playing it for hours!) Enjoy 1.11! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfnTrAxTFfk

I recently made it to Homecoming. It wasn't developed by the original Japanese team. But it wasn't a bad playthrough. This was the best boss monster fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwzz1...eature=related

I never got round to Origins or Shattered Memories, but recently I did pick up the very first game for the Play Station (which thanks to the PS3, I was able to play) and also contains this wonderful opening video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eds1ivwq1oc

There's a new game "Downpour" coming out soon and Silent Hill 2 and 3 is being given the HD treatment and released again in one box for the PS3 later this year as well. (With redone voices to avoid paying royalties to the original artists...)

Or did you see the actual Silent Hill film and spend the whole time watching it scratching your head going ?
    Well there's ANOTHER film that's finished filming called "Silent Hill 2: Revelations" but for some reason, that film is being based around the third game.

If nobody on this site has ever played the games, then I hope this was a fun random thread for you. But for those who have played them... did this bring back memories? Or did you hate every second you spent playing them?
    You can't really call Silent Hill "overrated" as hardly anyone seems to have heard of it. So in a way, I hope they keep making Call Of Duty kill games as the money they generate gets spent on more esoteric games like this series.

Plus, if you end up in a fight with a Medal Of Honour/ Call Of Duty player, it's pretty much game over! But get into a fight with a Silent Hill fan and you can slip away whilst they open up a tin to get a lightbulb which they need to read a message about how to fish out a key to a lift from a shower drain etc... etc... well providing they aren't armed with a trusty steel pipe!

I played the first game and loved it. It's definitely the only game I ever played that actually scared me. I had the demo version that came with Metal Gear Solid and featured the origial "demon baby" monsters that were removed from the actual release due to some tragedy or other in the news (was it Dunblane?).

Silent Hill 2 was more of the same really, but I think it had a better story than the original, although it's never easy to really understand the Silent Hill stories.

I've started 3, 4 and Origins too, but never got very far with any of them.

I'd hazard a guess that the new film is based on the 3rd game because that followed on from the 1st game, whereas the 2nd was an unrelated story.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one here!
    And for those thinking "Yeah, but I've got an XBOX?" then your luck has changed!

Silent Hill: Downpour producer Tomm Hulett announced -- in video form -- during Konami's Gamescom press conference that the upcoming Silent Hill HD Collection would also be coming to Xbox 360. It was initially announced for PlayStation 3 only. According to Hulett, the HD Collection's Xbox 360 version is coming as a result of fan response to the originally announced exclusivity.

Without giving a solid release date (the game is currently pegged for "September/October") Hulett noted that Konami is "aiming" to release Silent Hill HD Collection on both consoles simultaneously.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/17/si...0-konami-aimi/

Good news! It looks like 2012 will be the year of Silent Hill after all!
    On top of the second film coming out, by March there'll be three new games out.

Konami has just announced the release date for all three upcoming Silent Hill titles: Silent Hill: Book of Memories, the Silent Hill HD Collection, and Silent Hill: Downpour.

The Silent Hill HD Collection will be releasing on January 24th; Silent Hill: Book of Memories will release a month later in February; Lastly, Silent Hill: Downpour the next entry in the series will release this March.
    http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-n...l-games-dated/

I've pre-ordered The Silent Hill HD Collection. (Which is the second and third games) I know it fits in as a late Christmas present, but I feel it's something I should get myself to make sure it's get done!

Silent Hill: Book Of Memories sounds like an odd game. It's for the new console "Vita" and it's basically a multi-player (In a game series that's mainly about people being on their own!) three player game which sees you fighting what looks like a "Greatest Hits" of monsters seen in the past few games. If I played it, I'd probably enjoy it. But I'm not prepared to get a new console just for that!

Much more interesting is Downpour. Finally! A brand new game with no old monsters! Interesting release schedule. I would of prefered Downpour coming out first, but there you go.

I played the first game back when it was new. I really liked it, though of the several endings the game had I got one of the mediocre ones. Never had a PS2 though, so I didn't continue playing the series. I was interested in Shattered Memories for Wii, but there are so many games I am more interested in, it's unlikely I'll ever get around to that one, plus I know some of the hardcore SH fans aren't very keen on it at all.

I did see the first movie a few years ago, I don't know enough about the new one to tell if I will be interested though. Does it have the same characters with the same actors reprising the role? I actually liked the film... to me it was similar enough to the first game that it felt like SH to me, or what I remembered of it. Didn't care too much for the ending though.
    Last edited by Jeff; 6th Jan 2012 at 2:54 PM.

The film has characters and a basic plot* from the third game (Spoiler) Heather Mason is the baby Harry takes at the end of the first game, she just changed her name.
    But yeah, the people from the first film will be in the second film. No idea how they are going to work them in.

But they clearly are being working in! Heather's the one in the red hood.
    The film might have a different explanation, but that's what films do. And yeah, it was a pretty good video game adaptation.

*=That will be added to and expanded and taken in a different direction etc

The only thing that bothers me is both the new game "Downpour" and the HD PS3 versions of Silent Hill 2 and 3 are said to be released on top of each other in March. Would of thought it was best to pace them. But that's why I don't work for Konami!

I had to look just now to see if Sean Bean would be reprising his role, and it looks like he. I'm almost surprised, but definitely happy about that. I'll be watching this one at some point then.. probably when it comes out on disk.

http://uk.games.konami-europe.com/game.do?idGame=306

European release for the HD Silent Hill 2/ Silent Hill 3 March 16th.

Downpour might be hot on it's heels in March. If I had to choose between the two, I'd be going for Downpour as it's new.

The date for these games have been put back AGAIN!!
    America gets them in 7 days time, while the rest of the world is looking at 29TH March. Although Downpour is being released the same day as the HD collection!
    Imagine Season 26 being broadcast with classic Doctor Who episodes on the same time on BBC 2. That's what Konami have done with these games.
    So I'll be voting with my feet for Downpour.

Season 26 IS classic Doctor Who! I particularly like Battlefield (no really I do)

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    Season 26 IS classic Doctor Who! I particularly like Battlefield (no really I do)
    No, it is. Sorry, got it wrong. Releasing these two games on the same day is like Wednesday Season 26 up against Coronation Street and repeats on BBC 2 of Tom Baker's Doctor Who episodes. (And I'm still voting Downpour... onwards and upwards always!)

And yeah, I have a soft spot for Battlefield too.

The games are out in America. But reports from fans saying there are glitches in the games on the PS3 versions.
    A patch (No, I don't know how they work...) has been made for them. But they promise the problems aren't on the European releases for some reason. The PS3 seems to be the one some say have problems with freezing and framerates. But the Xbox is said to work with no problems at all.
    Bit of a bugger for a PS3 owner like me, but they say it'll be all fixed by the end of the month's European release.

I also believe the game is getting mixed reviews... Not downright bad like Ninja Gaiden 3 (What did they do to F* that game up so bad?!) except for IGN which outright trashed it.. the metacritic is 64/100 for PS3 and 69/100 for 360, though IGN's 35/100 score is probably bringing both of those down a bit. It's what they usually recommend to "fans of the series" but not so much to others.

I'm currently stuck at St. Maria's orphanage and hitting brick walls of frustration in not being able to go any further. And no online guides to help.
    Despite that, "Downpour" is the greatest Silent Hill game in existence.
    That is all.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/open...revelation-3d/

Stuff about the new film!!!

Open Road Films has acquired all U.S. distribution rights to SILENT HILL: REVELATION 3D, the highly anticipated sequel to 2006’s film SILENT HILL, released by TriStar Pictures. SILENT HILL: REVELATION 3D will be released wide October 26, 2012 in time for Halloween. The announcement was made today by Tom Ortenberg, CEO of Open Road Films and producers Samuel Hadida and Don Carmody.

Based on the groundbreaking video game franchise, SILENT HILL: REVELATION 3D is the sequel to the hit film SILENT HILL, which opened to number one at the U.S. box office and took in nearly $100 million at the worldwide box office. Featuring an unparalleled horror experience, Konami’s Silent Hill franchise has captivated fans for more than a decade and has spawned a hit comic book series, graphic novels, collectibleaction figures and numerous soundtracks from rock bands.

Directed by Michael J. Bassett (Solomon Kane, Deathwatch), original cast members Sean Bean (HBO’s Game Of Thrones, Lord Of The Rings), Deborah Kara Unger (The Game, 88 minutes, The Samaritan) and Radha Mitchell (Man On Fire, The Crazies, upcoming The Frozen Ground) return in SILENT HILL: REVELATION 3D, starring along with rising stars Adelaide Clemens (X-Men Origins, upcoming The Great Gatsby, No One Lives) and Kit Harington (HBO’s Game Of Thrones) as well as Carrie-Anne Moss (The Matrix, Disturbia, NBC’s Chuck) and Malcolm McDowell (A Clockwork Orange, The Artist).

In SILENT HILL: REVELATION 3D, Heather Mason (Clemens) and her father (Bean) have been on the run, always one step ahead of dangerous forces that she doesn’t fully understand. On the eve of her 18th birthday, plagued by horrificnightmares and the disappearance of her father, Heather discovers she’s not who she thinks she is. The revelation leads her deeper into a demonic world that threatens to trap her forever.

Ortenberg stated, “Silent Hill has proven to be a powerhouse franchise. The fans have greeted each incarnation, including the original SILENT HILL film, with great enthusiasm and we are confident that this latest project will be a strong addition to Open Road’s 2012 slate.”

Producer Samuel Hadida added, “The film is a thrill ride that improves on the original in many ways. We take all audiences, new and old, deep into the world of psychological horror that is Silent Hill, and advance thestory for those familiar with the franchise. We are thrilled to have Tom and his terrific team at Open Road presenting our film to U.S. audiences.”

The deal was negotiated on behalf of Open Road Films by Ortenberg, General Counsel and Executive Vice President of Operations and Business Affairs, Elliott Kleinberg, and Senior Vice President of Acquisitions, Ben Cotner. International sales for SILENT HILL: REVELATION 3D are being handled by Lionsgate. In addition to Samuel Hadida, the film was produced by Hadida’s Davis films as well as Don Carmody.
    Now I have more things to look forward to this October!

Finished Downpour and this is the best Silent Hill game for over ten years, if not ever!
    I'll spoiler in my times and achievements even though they will look meaningless to someone who hasn't played the game. I think you can only get this online and Konami's initial limited release seems to have sold out. I think more people are wanting to play the game and wish they had a copy, than there are ones who think it's an amazing game.

Began 05/04/12 Finished 23/04/12 Normal Level. Easy Puzzles. Flashing Objects.

(First Play)
    Side Quest 2
    Total Time Spent In Game 15:05:34
    Real World 11:22:58
    Otherworld 02:30:00
    Journal 00:51:54
    Inventory 00:17:50
    Books 00:02:50
    Total Distance Covered 83.2km
    Walking 20.9km
    Running 61.6km
    Falling 84.2m
    Sliding 667.4m
    Puzzles Solved 4
    Items Collected 311
    Mysteries 42 (HAHAHAHAHA!!!)
    Objects 62
    Gadgets 12
    Maps 10
    First Aid Kit 43
    Weapon 128
    Ammo 14 (?)
    Items Used 91
    Time Spent Using Gadgets 10:01:43
    Lighter 00:00:48
    Flashlight 02:13:42
    UV Light 07:17:12
    Weapons Destroyed 8
    Enemies Killed 57
    Enemies Killed By Firearms 9
    Enemies Killed By Melee Attacks 48

Achievements

"Now You're Cooking"
    "Out Of The Frying Pan"
    "Going Off The Rails"
    "Found A Friend!"
    "Whatever Doesn't Kill You"
    "Ashes, Ashes"
    "Broken Cycle"
    "No Turning Back"
    "Spot The Difference"
    "Birdman"
    "Silence Is Golden"
    "Shadow Boxer"
    "Lockdown"
    "The Bigger They Are"
    "Fight Or Flight!"
    "Hypochondriac"
    Last edited by Dino; 24th Apr 2012 at 12:03 AM.

A friend of mine got given a bundle of PS3 games from his Son. He isn't a member of this forum, and he wouldn't be interested, but it's through this internet connection friendship, he posted off the extra copy of the HD games, with advice to get my PS3 connected to the net to get it's patch.

So basically, by the end of the week, I hope to be playing 1999 Silent Hill, the HD 2 and 3, Homecoming and Downpour.

I plan to not use any of the save points, or take any health drinks of Medikits.
    I plan it to be a simulation scale model of how long I would actually survive in the games.
    I shall also be setting the difficulty to "Hard" and puzzles (if I ever survive to reach them!) on "Easy".

So... that's what I wanted to share in this thread, when I could have said so in the game thread.

That said, it looks like I'll be writing stuff about it. I'll have to exclude the excellent Silent Hill 4 and Origins as they are PS2 only. And I never got around to playing "Shattered Memories".

It was a holiday! It was raining! I wasn't interested in watching the boating!

So that's sounds like it's time for a...

5-A-SIDE SILENT HILL PLAYOFF!

RULES: I play each game from the start. Use no save points and using Medikits/health drinks is BANNED.
    All game settings on "HARD" with "EASY" puzzles. This is the closest I'll get to having a "If I ended up in Silent Hill" simulator with only one chance at life.

Games used are "Silent Hill", "Silent Hill 2 HD (Both male/female chapters)", "Silent Hill 3 HD", "Homecoming" and "Downpour".

4: The Room" and "Origins" disqualified for being PS2 only. "Shattered Memories" disqualified for not having a copy on PS3 or even being played on the PS2.
    The list would look completely different if these two games were included. "The Arcade" I've never played.

I move onto next game the minute I got killed, until all games played for at least an hour.

RANKINGS:

BEST FOR CHARACTER DEATH:
    Murphy Pendeleton (Silent Hill Downpour)
    Heather Mason (Silent Hill 3. Was lucky to get her dead body dragged away)
    Alex Shepherd (Homecoming. Gets bronze for his blood spurting from throat)
    Maria (Silent Hill 2 "Born From A Wish")
    James Sunderland (Silent Hill 2 "Letter From Silent Heaven")
    Harry Mason (Silent Hill)

(Henry Townshend from Silent Hill 4: The Room would be just behind Alex Shepherd. Travis from Origins would have been after Henry.)

GRAPHICS:
    Downpour
    Homecoming
    Silent Hill 3
    Silent Hill 2
    Silent Hill

(Silent Hill 4: The Room would have been second on that list. Origins would be just behind Silent Hill 3)

CONTROLLING ACTIVITY:
    Downpour
    Homecoming
    Silent Hill 2
    Silent Hill 3
    Silent Hill

(Origins would have been behind Downpour for Travis's ability to punch. And 4: The Room would be after Silent Hill 3)

STORY:
    Silent Hill 2
    Downpour
    Silent Hill
    Silent Hill 3
    Homecoming

(4: The Room would have been behind Downpour and Origins would have come fifth.)

BEST MONSTERS:
    Silent Hill 3
    Homecoming
    Silent Hill 2
    Silent Hill
    Downpour

(4: The Room would come before Homecoming and Origins would have come before Silent Hill 2)

DIFFICULTY: (In terms of how long I survived)

00:08:07 Silent Hill Homecoming
    00:09:38 Silent Hill
    00:20:04 Silent Hill 2 "Letter From Silent Haven"
    00:21:18 Silent Hill 3
    00:31:51 Silent Hill 2 "Born From A Wish"
    00:31:59 Silent Hill Downpour

BEST TITLE SEQUENCE

Silent Hill
    Downpour
    Silent Hill 3
    Silent Hill 2
    Silent Hill Homecoming

(4: The Room would have come second and Origins didn't have a title sequence I could remember...)

BEST THEME TUNE

Silent Hill 2
    Silent Hill
    Silent Hill 3
    Downpour
    Homecoming

(Origins would be at the top, as I whenever I think of playing a PS3 Silent Hill game, I hear the guitar from Origins above Theme Of Laura. Also 4: The Room would have come between Downpour and Homecoming.)

Thanks for reading.

Results from today's play of the 3 Day 5 A Side Silent Hill Match:

TACTIC: AVOID COMBAT

HOMECOMING 00:09:27 (UP FROM 00:08:07)
    SILENT HILL 00:10:08 (UP 00:09:38)
    SILENT HILL DOWNPOUR 00:22:15* (FROM 00:31:59 *=SEE DISPUTES)
    SILENT HILL 2 "BORN FROM A WISH" 00:22:56 (DOWN FROM 00:31:51)
    SILENT HILL 2 "LETTER FROM SILENT HEAVEN" 00:36:43 (UP FROM 00:20:04)

DISPUTES: All new games. Same with Downpour, rather than use the Autosave feature. I got control of Murphy around 00:12:19.
    Also, I forgot to start stopwatch at the 00:14:39 tree, so there's a small gap between that and starting watch in time to enter Diner.

There was fresh air, sunlight and many smoke and a tea breaks between each game.
    Join us for the final of the 3 Day 5 A Side Silent Hill match, where they will all be played... standing up! Top that Sebastian Coe!

If you live in the UK, you can plan your Halloween Cinema parties before the Summer! Here are Silent Hill 2: Revelation's Worldwide release dates have been updated on IMDb

Hong Kong 25 October 2012
    Brazil 26 October 2012
    United States 26 October 2012
    Belguim 31 October 2012
    Ireland 1 October 2012
    United kingdom 31 October 2012
    Cambodia 1 November 2012
    HUNGARY 1 November 2012
    Greece 6 December 2012
    Netherlands 3 January 2013
    Turkey 11 January 2013

For those of you who haven't ever seen the first film, and those who have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElvX2...layer_embedded

There's some daft comments like she's too old to play Heather, but woah! I'm impressed!

Please watch in full screen possibly the greatest film adaptation of a Video Game of all time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UReF4...&feature=share

Having only played the first game and watched the first movie, I find myself perplexed as to who Heather is and how this ties in to (first movie spoilers) Rose and Sharon being out of Silent Hill but in a different reality at the end of the first movie.

I suppose it might be explained in the movie, but will it be a good explanation..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Having only played the first game and watched the first movie, I find myself perplexed as to who Heather is and how this ties in to (first movie spoilers)
    I suppose it might be explained in the movie, but will it be a good explanation..
    Well... Silent Hill 3 is based around Heather Mason, who was the baby Harry got at the end of the first game. (Well if you got the "Good Ending" and didn't end up slumped over your steering wheel, dead!) In the game she has the detective Douglas (The man in the mac and hat) track her down on the orders of Claudia, a member of the order who want Heather to remember who she is and return to Silent Hill to give birth to the God foetus. This is why in the Silent Hill 3 game there is lots of abortion imagery. The blood red walls of Heather's Otherworld and the coat hanger* which is used in one of the puzzles.

*=ewww!

How much of the game's plot makes it into the film, I've no idea. Probably very little. But tt's worth picking up the HD collection (If you are on Xbox your version won't need a patch like the PS3 did. There's Konami's console loyalty for you! ) as Silent Hill 3 has been described by others as closer to the first game. I played Silent Hill 3 first and having finally got the original last year, yeah. I see what they mean.

So it probably won't be a shot for shot remake of the game in the film. But the consensus from other Silent Hill fans (And you thought JNT got a hard time? There's a tiny and growing minority that is either bitching about Downpour, which I think is wrong as I thought that was brilliant. Moaning about the games not being made by the Japanese, or saying the Vita Book Of Memories is killing Silent Hill because... the individual players can upload their own profiles!!! ....conveniently forgetting that Book Of Memories is intended as a spin off) is that the trailer shows they are getting more things right than wrong.
    And what's wrong with Fanservice? I see it as more of a wink.

Aside from that though!

This is the TV spot for the film. It was first put up on Facebook a few days ago, but some don't have that, so I had to wait for the You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4cmblvsrcw

I still think Silent Hill Revelation will be a great film to watch on Halloween. And yes, there is some visual Silent Hill fanservice. One person I know thinks the film will be cheesy attempts at fanservice, I'm just looking for an even better version of the first film. Which even then I loved!