Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Football 2011-2012

The annual football thread is conspicuous by it's absence, so as the season is now a day old, I thought it was time we got one started.

Starting off, I thought I'd give my predictions for the season.

1. Man Utd
    2. Man City
    3. Chelsea
    4. Liverpool
    5. Arsenal
    6. Tottenham
    7. Sunderland
    8. Everton
    9. Aston Villa
    10. Stoke
    11. Bolton
    12. Fulham
    13. Newcastle
    14. Wolves
    15. Blackburn
    16. West Brom
    17. Norwich
    18. Wigan
    19. QPR
    20. Swansea

League Cup - Sunderland
    FA Cup - Man City

I think this is the weakest Premier League we've had in a long time, with the teams I'm predicting from 13th downwards looking like potential relegation candidates.

Arsenal - Looking destabilised by the likely departures of Nasri and Fabregas, and with little movement of players coming into the club, Arsenal are looking increasingly unlikely to remain in the top four positions in the League. If they want to continue to compete, Wenger will need to buy a few players, including a top quality centre back.
    Key Players: Robin Van Persie, Jack Wilshere

Aston Villa - With Downing and Young gone, Villa look far weaker on paper than they did last season. However, they still have some good players in Bent and the recently signed N'Zogbia and will push for a Europa League spot.
    Key Players: Darren Bent, Charles N'Zogbia

Blackburn - They just managed to stay up this season and have lost Phil Jones, with Samba also looking like a potential departure. If they do stay up, it will be because their are a lot of poor teams around them. They need a striker to boost the number of goals they score.
    Key Players: Morten Gamst Pedersen, Ryan Nelsen

Bolton - Mid table beckons for Bolton this season, with a couple of astute signings in Reo-Coker and Eagles. Having lost a striker in the close season, that is still one of the areas they need to improve on.
    Key Players: Kevin Davies, Gary Cahill
    Last edited by Paul Clement; 14th Aug 2011 at 3:05 PM.

Chelsea - Chelsea have been surprisingly quiet in the transfer market, and they look a little bit weaker than they did at the start of last season. They will hope that Torres can produce the form that made them sign him in the first place, however they do need to inject some fresh blood into their midfield. Without it, the title will be out of their reach.
    Key Players: Fernando Torres, Frank Lampard

Everton - Another club who have had a quiet summer, however, they have the quality in their side to push for a Europa Cup place come the seasons end. The team are solid but could use some more cover in midfield and up front as they have a history of injury problems within their squad.
    Key Players: Mikael Arteta, Tim Cahill

Fulham - Martin Jol will be keen to make his mark on the team, having taken over as manager. There has only been a minimal amount of movement in the transfer market so far, and the squad could be stretched if they advance in the Europa League.
    Key Players: Zamora, Sidwell

Liverpool - Dalglish is rebuilding the Liverpool team as he looks to bring success back to the club. With five new summer signings, all of whom will push for first team action, Liverpool have their strongest squad for many a year. They also have, in Suarez, a leading contender for most goals in a season
    Key Players: Luis Suarez, Stewart Downing, Steven Gerrard

Man City - Man City have only bought a few players this summer, with the potential signing of Samir Nasri still to come. This may be a big bonus for the club, as there will be less players who need to settle in. In Sergio Aguero, they have signed one of the top strikers in the world, and if they get Nasri, they will get an exceptional midfielder. I expect them to challenge Man Utd all the way this season.
    Key Players: Sergio Aguero, Yaya Toure, Vincent Kompany

Man Utd - United have brought in three players who will improve on their already strong Championship winning squad. Ashley Young will provide a lot of competition to the wings, and is likely to be the natural replacement to Ryan Giggs, while Phil Jones is considered to be one of the outstanding young central defenders in the country. I expect them to win the title again.
    Key Players: Wayne Rooney, Nani, Ashley Young, Nemanja Vidic

Newcastle - Newcastle are a team who have been majorly weakened over the summer. Nolan was allowed to leave (to a lower league club of all things) while Barton is likely to leave within the next few weeks. Enrique has gone to Liverpool and the majority of the new players brought in are untried and untested in the Premiership. I expect them to escape relegation, but not until near to the end of the season.
    Key Players: Shola Ameobi, Hatem Ben Arfa

Norwich - Premiership new arrivals Norwich have had two successive promotions, but their team is still full of players who were with them in League 1. They have brought in a number of new players, but none of them are players that stand out as being much better than what they already had. I expect them to play good football, but ultimately spend the season around the relegation zone. They are the one promoted side I can see staying up though.
    Key Players: Grant Holt, Wes Hoolahan, Andrew Crofts (because he was the Gillingham captain)

QPR - QPR were promoted as the form team of the Championship, but money has been tight for them with their new signings coming on free transfers. They will be looking to their best player Adel Taraabt to get and create goals for the team, but he will be closely watched by the opposition. It's going to be a long season for QPR, and I expect relegation at the end of it.
    Key Player: Adel Taraabt

Stoke - Stoke are the best example of a team who managed to make the transition from Championship to Premier League football, and are now an established top flight side. Very difficult to beat, Stoke will be looking to break into the top 10 this season, and have brought in Upson and Woodgate to bolster their central defence. With the club apparently looking to bring in 6 more players, including England International Peter Crouch, I expect Stoke to push for a European place this season, but ultimately fall a little short.
    Key Players: Ryan Shawcross, Matthew Etherington

Sunderland - Steve Bruce has brought in a lot of good players with Premiership experience over the summer. Wes Brown and John O'Shea have come in from Man Utd and have plenty of experience on the big stage. They have improved their squad by selling a couple of individuals at high prices and will push the likes of Spurs and Everton for European football for next season.
    Key Players: John O'Shea, Wes Brown, Asamoah Gyan

Swansea - Premiership new boys, Swansea have spent 9 million on improving their side, but on players with little Premiership experience. They play neat football, but I expect them to be weak at the back, conceding far too many goals and will eventually be relegated.
    Key Players: Wayne Routledge, Danny Graham

Tottenham - The main talking point of the summer at White Hart Lane was whether Modric would start the season as a Spurs player. He's still there at the moment, but is unlikely to remain unless Spurs can show they match his ambition. So far, Spurs have been very quiet on the transfer front, having only signed ageing keeper, Brad Friedel. Talk coming from the club suggests that some fringe players will have to be sold before new signings can come in, however, there hasn't been much movement out of the club either. Last season was great for Spurs with Champions League football for the first time, but they are falling further behind their rivals rather than closing the gap. Europa League is all that's looking likely for this season.
    Key Players: Luka Modric, Gareth Bale, Rafael Van Der Vaart

West Brom - The club have brought in a handful of new players, but still lack the strength in depth to pull away from relegation worries. It will be a long season for them but the goals of Odemwingie should see them stay up. Ben Foster has joined, meaning they have a top class keeper between the sticks.
    Key Players: Ben Foster, Peter Odemwingie, Chris Brunt

Wigan - Wigan are still looking for a couple of players and will need to get them fast. Having lost N'Zogbia and with Cleverley's loan ending, their team is weaker than last season, and they only just managed to stay up then. Rodallega is being tracked by a few bigger clubs, and if he were to go, it would be unlikely that Wigan would get an adequate replacement. This could be the year Wigan go down.
    Key Players: Hugo Rodallega, James McCarthy

Wolves - Having bought O'Hara and Johnson, Wolves look better than last season. Matt Jarvis (another ex Gills player) made the breakthrough into the England squad last season and will be a major part of any success Wolves achieve this season. Although I never expect them to pull easily clear of danger, i think their side will be one of the better teams down the bottom end of the table and will stay up.
    Key Players: Matt Jarvis, Roger Johnson, Kevin Doyle

Can't argue with that, Paul - it's difficult to see anyone other than Man Utd winning the title, and I'd also agree that the top four will be altered slightly/ Just a shame that Liverpool are undoubtedly on the rise...

In addition, I too think the newly promoted teams will struggle, QPR and Swansea in particular just not possessing the quality to survive in the Premiership.

As for the cups, I'm predicting a North London double - after all the fuss made of them not winning anything for several years, I think Arsenal will win the FA Cup and Spurs will nab the League Cup. But yes, I think it's going to be a season with few surprises.

QPR have a new owner as of today, and Scott Parker has been targeted as their first signing. If they get him, and indicates the direction they are looking to move in, then they may just about survive.

I know very little about football (being a Leeds fan, ba'dum tish), but I always enjoy reading Paul's thoughts on the Premiership at the start of the season. Well done, sir
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    Just a shame that Liverpool are undoubtedly on the rise...
    "Do do do do do do do, do do do do do do do, do do do do do do do, Luis Suarez..."

I come back from Turkey and Charlton lose their 100% start at home to Scunthorpe with a 2-2 draw after being 2-0 up! And it was all going so well.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Gillingham have 10 points from four games and are level at the top of League 2 with Rotherham and Crawley.

It would be good to see Gillingham come up. They're not exactly local, but i do like going to the away matches when Charlton play them
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Everton have got off to a typically good start, I see........

Results for the weekend games:

Aston Villa 0 - 0 Wolves
    Wigan 2 - 0 QPR
    Blackburn 0 - 1 Everton
    Chelsea 3 - 1 Norwich
    Swansea 0 - 0 Sunderland
    Liverpool 3 - 1 Bolton
    Newcastle 2 - 1 Fulham
    Tottenham 1 - 5 Man City
    West Brom 0 - 1 Stoke City
    Man Utd 8 - 2 Arsenal

Massive defeats for Arsenal and Spurs, with Spurs now bottom of the table following successive defeats against the two Manchester clubs. However, it is Arsenal and manager Arsene Wenger who looks to be in real trouble. With Nasri and Fabregas now both gone, Wenger has to start spending money on some replacements. His squad is already decimated by injuries, and their team today was made up of a small number of experienced players and untried and untested youngsters bulking out the side. If Wenger doesn't act soon, he will be sacked, which would be a huge shame considering what he's done in the Premiership over the last dozen years.

I'd eight two be an Arsenal fan right now!

On a better note that's three away wins in the league for Charlton so far but the curse of Sky looms next Monday night!

A good win for Charlton today, Duncan. Thankfully a point for Gillingham after two successive defeats and a first win of the season for Spurs.

Yes and it could have been so different. From my point of view in the ground it looked as though Exeter had scored with our keeper seemingly dragging the ball back from behind the line. I Sky + The Football Lague show it sort of confirmed what I thought. Exeter had a man sent off for protesting to much but it seems he had a point.

Anyway, a good 2-0 win in the end and thankfully MK Dons got beat and we went joint top.

Disappointing result in the Premiership for the Gunners this weekend - 1-0 against Swansea!? C'mon lads, you can do better than that!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Transferred both my fantasy football strikers last week and got a massive 51 points over the weekend. I always knew Rooney had to be good for something

Which fantasy football are you doing, Richard? I'm doing the Fantasy Premier League and the Sun Dream Team.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Which fantasy football are you doing, Richard? I'm doing the Fantasy Premier League and the Sun Dream Team.
    The Sun Dream Team - although only the free version for a laugh with some work mates.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    What's your team name, Paul? I'm having the best Fantasy Premier League season ever - in fact, it's my best fantasy season in *any* league - ... mostly thanks to Rooney and Aguero.

Wish I'd had Rooney from the start of the season. Still better late than never!