Default The "Britain Is RUBBISH" Thread

I know we all love Doctor Who and all the weird little eccentric quirks that make up our nation but....

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/194314.html

A British man will appear before a magistrate court next month after police tracked down plans for a Colcestor water fight being propagated on social networking sites.

The 20-year-old was arrested Friday after Essex police discovered the plans circulating on the BlackBerry Messenger service and Facebook, British media reported.

The arrest came as the country is handling a huge influx of prisoners and court cases after the unprecedented unrest that rocked Britain.

The government was assigned by the Prime Minister David Cameron last week to investigate whether social networking sites played a role to instigate the public to engage in criminal activities.

The unnamed man has been charged with "encouraging or assisting in the commission of an offence" under the 2007 Serious Crime Act, police said.

He was arrested with another 20-year-old man the day the water fight was allegedly due to take place, and has been bailed to appear before Colchester magistrates on September 1st. The second man was released without charge.

An event with the same agenda was held in Iran last week during which security forces arrested several boys and girls over a water fight at a seaside park in the southern parts of the country.

Western media outlets, including the British newspapers and their websites gave a vast coverage to the event in Iran with the aim of questioning the country's dealing with youths and the so-called human rights issues which they have always used as a tool.

Now, a fortnight later, in Britain, police have charged a man with conspiring a water fight gathering on his Facebook page and through text messages. This is democracy, British style.
    If this isn't proof that Britain is crap, then I don't know what is!
    Even if they can't spell Colchester.
    Have you come across any other news stories about how much of a joke this country is? If you don't live here any more, well done you! But please, never come back... it's not your country now.

If you want to make a "Britain is GREAT!" thread to counter this, you can do.
    This thread is for those moments and stories that make you think "Britain is RUBBISH!!!"

I'm sorry, "Britain Is RUBBISH" is a registered trademark and mission statement of the Daily Mail Newspaper!

I'll be posting to this thread every time Cameron opens his mouth!

It's Stuart on here who threatens to "send the lads round" isn't it?
    If these laws are taken up... then he could be prosecuted for making threats!
    Madness! Cameron etc have all gone back on holiday leaving the police and judges to make sense of these "laws". And it's the judges who are even more detached from reality than Cameron!

I have a leasehold property which means that the leaseholder buys the buildings insurance. I wrote to the management company to ask for a copy of the insurance certificate and they're charging me £240 to provide it.

Rip-off Britain!

Si.

Bah - I got so sick of the country, I left. Unlike other members of this community who left "for lurve" lol!
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Gunmen have stormed the British Council office in the Afghan capital, Kabul, killing at least nine people and taking over the compound for hours.

A suicide car bomb destroyed the compound wall and a number of heavily armed men forced their way inside.

UK Prime Minister David Cameron condemned the "cowardly attack"
    There's many words you could used to describe someone who's prepared to drive a car laden with explosives into the brick wall of a well-defended enemy compound.

Yet the leader of our country decides that "cowardly" is the best one?!?!??! Vicious, yes. Deplorable, yes. Not cowardly!

Cowards use mortars, missiles and tactical aerial strikes.

I don't want to comment on the actual attack in Kabul specifically, but Cameron has an amazing ability to say exactly the wrong thing.

I thought that. He's a useless politician through and through, just saying empty words to make himself look good in any situation.

My first thought when I read that was General Melchit from Blackadder.

Darling: "One of the enemy spies.."
    Melchit: "Filthy hun weasels fighting their underhand war!"
    Darling: "... was thwarted by one of our spies..."
    Melchit: "Brave heroes!"

I'm very aware that our news tells us exactly what the authories think we need to know. When one of our soliders kills someone, he's a brave hero fighting for justice. When one of our soldiers gets killed, it's because of evil murdering insurgents. Or "friendly fire".

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I'll be posting to this thread every time Cameron opens his mouth!
    We'll never get you off this thread til he's voted out then! He's gone to watch the Test match today though, so that's all right.

I bump with official news!

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/93...Europe/?ref=mc

THE UK is the worst place to live in Europe for quality of life, according to a survey.

Research by uSwitch.com revealed almost half of people in the south east, including Kent, are likely to leave the country - with 46 per cent thinking about emigrating and 11 per cent seriously considering it.

The “broken society” is the biggest concern for those in the region but crime and violence and the cost petrol are also in their top five concerns.

Spain is the country of choice for those in the south east as 15 per cent would chose to move there if they could.

Director of Consumer Policy at uSwitch.com, Ann Robinson, said: “The UK has the worst quality of life in Europe.

Those in the south east are worried about the broken society and crime and violence, but these concerns are just the tip of the iceberg.

So it’s hardly surprising that nearly half have thought about emigrating."
    The SOUTH EAST of Britain is RUBBISH!!! Although if they think moving to Spain will sort their problems...

WARNING: You might need a strong stomach to read the comments on this page though! In fact, I've copy and pasted the worthwhile bits of that webpage... so you don't have to! Unless you want to read a whole barrel of racists moaning about immigration.

DINO'S THOUGHTS: Or... are uSwitch customers surveyed just joyless losers who believe everything they read in the papers? But come on! "Oh the south west of Britain is so bad... I'll move to (22.6% unemployment rate*) Spain instead of living in (8.1% unemployment rate*) Britain!"
    Seriously, is the thought of moving to the North West** worse than moving to Spain?

*=Seasonally adjusted figures http://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/e...mployment+rate

**= Come to the North West! We don't have your problems! (And even if we did, we have a better sense of humour about them. )

Ha - great post Dino.

You're right, most people talk "I'm sick of living in Britain (which usually means "outside London") ... I should move to Spain / Greece". Erm, both places having huge issues at the moment with money.

I know when I was last in Spain in 2007, someone we saw had moved out there a few years before and said although it was a really cheap place to move to back in the 80s/90s, it was now getting to the point of being as expensive as the UK.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I live in the area that you are talking about and indeed we get the News Shopper delivered through our door each week.

Yes, we don't like it where we are but we chose to live there and we have to put up with it. Crime is a problem wherever you go these days but we are not looking at running off to Spain. Canada, maybe but not Spain.

realistically, I would prefer to move further out into Kent such as Medway Towns, Gillingham, Meopham, that sort of area but we can't afford to move at the moment.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I don't see how "X people want to leave" translates as Britain being "the worst place in Europe to live for quality of life". Everyone wants to leave as they think that if the sun shines every day they will be happy (hence Spain). A short sighted and rather shallow view.

We may have tough times in the UK, prices and inflation may be high and jobs few, but a surprisingly large amount of people scrape the cash together to smoke, to buy beer, to play the Lottery every week, to own Sky or have an X-box. Most people have a high speed internet connection, and almost everyone has a Smart Phone.

Perhaps some of the people surveyed should be made to experience real poverty - i.e have their iPads conviscated for a week.

Ungrateful lot.

Si.

What it doesn't say is how many people they asked. What it should say is that half the people they surveyed think SE England is rubbish.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's not Britain that's rubbish. It's the British.

The trouble with surveys like this is that they don't account for the rather skewed views we have of other countries. When you hear Spain you think of sunny places with big white villas near the beach. Hear Italy and things like Venice pop into your head. France is Paris, the Eiffel Tower, or the vineyards of the south. These are the holiday views, portrayals and experiences most of us have with these other countries. Most people who say they want to move out to these places are probably basing that thought on their holidays where they had a really nice time. Of course they had a nice time. They didn't have to earn a wage, pay the regular bills, do all the normal stuff like grocery shopping, paying mortgages, getting a job, take any ind of interest in local politics and so on.

The south east of England is not rubbish. It's just like anywhere else. Moving to another coutnry will just switch one set of problems for another similar set in a different location.

It's only rubbish because of the immigrants. Immigrants ruin any country. It's enough to make you want to move abroad!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's also very crowded down here. Just for example, my town has seen significant housing developments springing up and in my quiet street alone, which used to be a cul-de-sac, we saw over 200 flats/apartments open up 3 years ago. But there has been no increase in public transport services, no increase in schools, we still have just the one major supermarket and we spend most of the time in queues for anything we want to do.

I'm not saying that this is isolated to our area as I'm sure some of you will say the same thing about where you live but it is getting really frustrating especially as the bus I need to go to my local DLR station is full up after just 3 stops from where it started.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I think that it's amazing that so many people apparently want to leave the UK.

I did leave, but I didn't want to - but it was the only way that I could be with my wife. Our eventual goal is to move back to the UK!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Is it wrong of me to wish that the 46% who are thinking of leaving actually did so and pi$$ed off ?

It would certainly solve the housing and jobs problems, and make my trip to work in the morning probably a lot quicker.
    Bazinga !

Jon must be the only person in the UK who thinks there arn't enough supermarkets!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Jon must be the only person in the UK who thinks there arn't enough supermarkets!

Si.
    I Sainsbury's and their lovely Nectar points
    Bazinga !

He gets 500 of them just for saying that, folks!

I suspect my post in the thread about Super Salaries would probably sit better here. The increased cost of living is frightening.

The Lads are busily considering whether it's cheaper to make their getaways in the van or on the train, such are the cost of fuel and train tickets at the moment, or simply to walk. It's probably quicker too...