Thread: Getting scared?

Default Getting scared?

This is the thread for discussing scary games like Doom, Quake & such like.

I've just started on Doom3 today, lots of fun but I wish the cheats were easier to get to work. I can't get it to work.

I find it scary hw mucg time people spend playing these games!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Doom 3 wasn't that scary at first, but after I'd been playing for 3-4 hours straight, my nerves were absolutely shredded and as the Baby-flies (Fly-babys?) attacked, I was pretty much terrified!

Why are you using the cheats though? If you play it on 'Easy' surely that's enough?

Not a patch on System Shock or System Shock 2 for terror though. With sinister robots and mutant psychic monkeys mumbling indecipherable curses just out of site, these were brutally scary! There's some good moments in F.E.A.R as well, most of which are the 'shock' moments.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I like to play on the hardest setting that allows cheats & then I only use the "God" mode. It takes away the frustration of having to start again & allows me to enjoy the game.

I'll look in to getting System Shock/2 or F.E.A.R, are they really good? I'm quite a fan of Doom, Quake & Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

I've not played them myself, but I know the Half Life series has a super reputation and is often listed among the best games ever made.
    Last edited by Jeff; 8th Feb 2007 at 8:40 PM.

I can only talk for the first Half Life, but I always enjoyed it...

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

My PC is too old to play HL2, but I do plan on getting the first Half Life one day.

Silent Hill is the scariest game ever! These other games are wusses.

Funnily enough, I find I'm somewhat desensitised to the particularly violent and/or horror-based games... for example, Doom 3 never freaked me out at all (though that may have been to do with being on my old PC and getting frameskip issues whenever anything tried to battle me, so felt more frustrating than scary). However, F.E.A.R. is doing a good job of making me jump... been giving it a second playthrough recently, and the creepy bits between combat do a very nice job. If you like FPS shooters,and want something to creep you out a bit, it's certainly worth snatching - especially as I think it's now under the 20 mark (if not in the "2 for 20" range).

The Resi games never did much for me in the horror front... I recall first playing Resident Evil 3, where Nemesis was supposed to leave you in a constant cold sweat when the "he's nearby..." music played, and leave you wetting your pants with fright and flight when you ran into him, but instead he just annoyed me. "Oh great, HIM again. Boy, is this getting old..."

Silent Hill does a better job of creeping me out, but then it's MO is more about the freaky and macabre aspects of the town and it's "residents" rather than the combat.

As for Half-Life... well, I never felt the horror aspect was particularly prominent, and the games were more combat- and puzzle-heavy. Though that said, the endings to HL1, HL2 and the Opposing Force mod have a very creepy feel to them... Either way, it's still a fantastic game series... as I was advised by a friend when I revealed to him that I hadn't played them before, "go and play them. NOW."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    With sinister robots and mutant psychic monkeys mumbling indecipherable curses just out of site, these were brutally scary!
    I want to play this game.
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

Has anyone played Bioshock? I found it super creepy, stoll can't play it on my own in the dark.
    "All we found in his pockets were knives and lint"

It's on my long list of games I want to play that I'll never quite get around too.

I have Crysis which I played a whole 5 minutes of just to test it out (would like to finish Age of Empires 3 before I start it properly, but I haven't played that in almost 2 months now). Crysis looks like it might have a few thrills and spooky moments.. maybe.

The Sims can be quite scary...

Especially when Dee plays it...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Or when you build a nice and fancy house, inadvertently put a firework in the childrens' room, then watch in horror as one of the parents sets it off and then burns the entire room, a chunk of the house and themself in the ensuing blaze...

...actually, and I feel guilty saying this, that was more side-splittingly funny than scary...

Quote Originally Posted by cullsoft View Post
    Or when you build a nice and fancy house, inadvertently put a firework in the childrens' room, then watch in horror as one of the parents sets it off and then burns the entire room, a chunk of the house and themself in the ensuing blaze...

...actually, and I feel guilty saying this, that was more side-splittingly funny than scary...
    Is this disregarding the bit where the other parent is downstairs and rather than call the fire brigade sits down and makes himself a sandwich?

Or the other people in the room who are dancing around shouting 'Fire!' rather than trying to do anything about it
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Culley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cullsoft View Post

Is this disregarding the bit where the other parent is downstairs and rather than call the fire brigade sits down and makes himself a sandwich?

Or the other people in the room who are dancing around shouting 'Fire!' rather than trying to do anything about it
    I'd forgotten about those - though they did nothing for the scare/shock and were entirely surreal humour...

I think they were still dancing/eating when the Grim Reaper knocked on the door...