Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I can still remember the shock of seeing that 1970s pic of Tom with fag and beer glass in hand - was it in one of the DWM specials a few years ago? It was like finding out there's no Santa Claus.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I can still remember the shock of seeing that 1970s pic of Tom with fag and beer glass in hand - was it in one of the DWM specials a few years ago? It was like finding out there's no Santa Claus.
    I wouldn't want to be Zel when she has to explain that one...

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I'd like to see that!

I've got too many mixed opinions to contribute properly, but i met Tom when i was 13, & he really made my day, he was so nice to me & my friends.

Tell us about that; I've never heard that story before, Wayne!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Tell us about that; I've never heard that story before, Wayne!
    You have, but you will've forgotten, because it was one of my very first posts on the old beeb boards, & you, & Pam & Jonno (& probably more!) definitely replied. But anyway, it's worth telling again after 5yrs.
    It was only a very brief meeting when he opened a shop in Mansfield on a Saturday morning, & was signing autographs. It was advertised in the local rag as 10.00am, so me & 2 friends went down about 8.00 in the morning & we were the first ones there.
    There was a long queue by 10.00 but he still spent a few minutes talking to us, whilst he signed our Target books. It was 1976 & he was in full Season 14 costume, & 'Masue of Mandragora' was being broadcast at the time. I can't remember everything he said, i think i was so excited about him just being there that a lot of it went in one ear & out the other!
    But i do remember thinking that i would be a smart arse (not much has changed then) & i decided to ask him when he was going to get around to fixing the Chamelion Circuit in the Tardis. Looking back on it, It's highly likely that Tom wouldnt've had a clue what the Chamelion Circuit was, but he knew that i was asking him as The Doctor, & not Tom Baker, if you see what i mean.
    Anyway, i specifically remember that he looked at me full on with his famous, wide goggle eyed stare, & he said: "Well as a matter of fact, I've got something more crucial on my mind at the moment...... Because i'm a little bit worried about how i'm going to get out of having my head chopped off tonight! I'm not sure what i'm going to do about it!" (referring to the episode of 'Masque of Mandragora' that would be showing that evening, & how he was going get out of the previous week's cliffhanger)
    He looked at me with that stare as if expecting me to come up with a solution, But of course smarty pants Wayne was absolutely stumped by his answer to my question, & i couldn't think of anything to say! Tom of course stepped in & saved me by saying something like "Not to worry, i've got a few hours yet to think of something, haven't i!" Then we were being ushered along for the next people in the queue, & Tom said: "Well it's been terribly nice to meet you all, & well done for being here first!" Then he actually thanked us for coming & told us to keep watching the programme. As we were leaving, he looked at me with his classic, big toothy grin & said: "And don't you worry - i thnk i've got something up my sleeve for tonight', then he winked & tapped his nose in that 'knowing look' gesture that people make, as if to say: "you'll see". Then he turned back to welcome the next people.
    The treatment he gave us was probably no more special than he gave all the other kids that had turned up, But he gave off such an air of kindness & made us all feel really good. We were so excited as we ran virtually all the way home to show our Mum & Dad's & friends the autographs. I couldn't stop talking or thinking about it all day, & when i watched Dr.Who that night i was really happy.
    Funniy enough, i don't like 'Masque of Mandragora' much, but there you go!
    Last edited by Wayne; 11th Feb 2007 at 5:05 PM.

Wayne Guest

FWIW, i do think Tom across as a right tosser on that Logopolis film footage, but i also agree with what Carol says about Bidmead.
    Besides, i'd rather even have Cartmel's confusion than Bidmead's boredom. At least they make for better viewing, IMO.
    Last edited by Wayne; 11th Feb 2007 at 2:21 PM.

Wayne - Loved that story when you met Tom

I can just imagine the buzz that must have been - it's great to share second hand!

Last edited by Ralph; 11th Feb 2007 at 4:14 PM.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Wayne - Loved that story when you met Tom

I can just imagine the buzz that must have been - it's great to share second hand!

Thanks Ralph!

Looking back on it, It's highly likely that Tom wouldnt've had a clue what the Chamelion Circuit was
    I didn't think it was even called that until Logopolis?

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    I didn't think it was even called that until Logopolis?
    Well, i knew about it when i was a kid, so it must've been referred to somewhere long before 'Logopolis'.

Wasn't it mentioned in "The deadly assassin"? But I'd think it was refered to long before then?

Captain Tancredi Guest

One of the odds and ends that I've picked up from the Target reviews is that the phrase seems to have been originated by Terrance Dicks in his novelisation of 'Terror of the Autons'.