Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Let's just remind ourselves that when Rory properly died in season 5 he was also wiped out of existence by the sinister smile (crack in time) and yet he still came back. Nothing is impossible for Moff.

Am I just a daft old romantic, who longs for the days when a companion could be just a normal person off the street who gets swept up on a grand adventure? It's easier to imagine it could happen to you, if you don't feel you need to be some kind of weird time-channelling or universe-creating or death-defying or... or a Dalek!!

There seems to be just a few of us left, Andrew...

Actually, I suspect that's a rather popular wish - it's just that Steven Moffat is currently in charge of the show, and after Coupling and Jekyll and The Girl in the Fireplace and Silence in the Library, we really shouldn't be surprised with the companion introductions he's giving us. He just doesn't like to do things the "normal" way... and no doubt things will be back to normal once he's gone, so for now I'm enjoying the Moffat madness.

How about a really disinterested companion who's always moaning about not being able to get a signal on her i-Phone and thinks every single male character the Doctor comes across is "well fit". And rather than being tied to the tracks, she sits on them instead and sulks until the Doctor saves her.
    The Doctor is always on about taking the "best". Why can't we see the Doctor take "the worst" instead? Rather than making a thread, just for laughs, what would be the worst, most disinterested companion the Doctor could have? And more importantly, what could be the reason for the Doctor to keep her on board the TARDIS? A really unhappy relationship.
    When the Doctor is carefully working out a peace plan between two worlds, she will be the one who comes in and goes "Ugh! That's minging!" and condems those world to another thousand years of war.
    An anti-companion like this couldn't possibly last. And for the final episode in the series, rather than a tearful goodbye with the Doctor, we see the TARDIS landing on a desolate planet, the doors open, and we see the Doctor dragging out her body wrapped up in a carpet and digs a shallow grave for her.

Oh well, I thought it was funny.

I think the character you're describing there would be Vicky Pollard of Little Britain fame.

What an excellent reason for bringing the fourth Doctor back! Welcome to Little Skaro

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    what would be the worst, most disinterested companion the Doctor could have?
    Tegan...?

I must admit that I too am cynical about about the new series' notion of the Doctor only taking 'the best'. The companions since 2005 have bordered on the super-human at times, and not always identifiable for us mere mortals, despite, arguably, often being better written. Companions in the old series were often more fallible, and for that reason a little more 'real': Jo, for instance, may have been a UNIT agent and an espionage expert but she made mistakes, and this made her more endearing.

However (and I know this is another debate entirely) the old adage 'To err is human' appears to be frowned upon these days and we seem to live in a society were mistakes are unacceptable, which I think is a sad state of affairs.

Isn't it about time:

(a) He lost control of the TARDIS again (or would that be too much work for those poor writers?) and
    (b) He got lumbered with someone that WASN'T perfect just for the hell of it. A great old woman, for example.

Now he's saying to Amy "I'd leave all the rest... but not you" as he did on Saturday, it's starting to look a bit two-faced. As that's exactly what he told Rose.

Si.

Harry's one of my favourite companions, largely because he did bumble through things.