Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Series 7 - Remaining Questions

Let's Kill Hitler answered quite a few questions about River Song and all that was going on with her, but there are a great swathe of questions that still need answering!

Or indeed, they may already have been answered, but I missed it.

The fact remains, there are still many odd things still going on. If I was in the TARDIS right now I would probably be punching the Doctor repeatedly and saying 'WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON??!' Which is why I wouldn't be good companion material, probably. Though that kind of attitude worked for Tegan...

1) Who built the TARDIS in the Lodger? OK, we kind of know it was The Silence, but does that mean they have time-travel capability? How did the TARDIS end up where it was?

2) How did the TARDIS get taken off course and why did it nearly blow up in The Pandorica Opens? This was a pretty critical plot point, so what happened? Was it The Silence again? Who was the creepy-voiced guy who said 'Silence will fall' when the monitor cracked? Was it actually brainwashed River who blew up the TARDIS? Why was there concrete blocking her way out of the doors?

3) Who is in the spacesuit in The Impossible Astronaut? It could be Melody Pond, but then again maybe not. Who built the Spacesuit?

4) Why did The Silence invade Earth in Day of The Moon? Yes, they were creepy, but they didn't seem to be doing anything with the human race.

5) If The Silence is a religious order, then what were the memory-wipe grey aliens called?

6) Why did it all go quiet at the end of Vampires Of Venice?

7) What has the Doctor done to upset everyone in 'A Good Man Goes To War'? Is it just that he keeps defeating the bad guys, or is there something more specific?

8) What's Madame Kovarian's problem?

9) What's happened to the Super Friends Club that we saw in The Pandorica Opens? Are they going to try to capture the Doctor a third time?*

I think those are my main Doctor Who plot-related questions for this year. What are yours?

*See - The Doctor Who Experience, Earl's Court for their second attempt!
    Last edited by Richard Brinck-Johnsen; 3rd Sep 2012 at 11:23 AM.

I'm also still none the wiser on:

1. What happened between the end of The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon? What were they doing for 3 months? Why was the Doctor (pretending to be) locked up?

2. How did the Doctor work out Amy wasn't Amy in the first half of the season?

3. What has he been doing "all Summer" while looking for Melody Pond?

4. How did Mels get to Leadworth circa the mid-90s to be at school with Amy?

5. Why does Rory sort of remember being a Roman - wasn't that actually a semi-Auton rather than 'the real' him?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I'm also still none the wiser on:

1. What happened between the end of The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon? What were they doing for 3 months? Why was the Doctor (pretending to be) locked up?
    I think there's really nothing more to that other than what was said in the script, plus the three months give Amy's pregnancy a fairly believable time period.

2. How did the Doctor work out Amy wasn't Amy in the first half of the season?
    From the Tardis scanner showing her pregnant/not pregnant, every week.

3. What has he been doing "all Summer" while looking for Melody Pond?
    That we will surely find out later.

4. How did Mels get to Leadworth circa the mid-90s to be at school with Amy?
    Not too much of a stretch I don't think to imagine EyePatchLady & her friends had something to do with that?

5. Why does Rory sort of remember being a Roman - wasn't that actually a semi-Auton rather than 'the real' him?
    Tricky one, not sure we're going to get an answer to that one. I guess as he was 'at the heart' of the Universe reboot, it's hard to wipe out 2000 years of memory.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I'm sure the Rory question was tackled in the first half of the season. And he said that it was weird that he remembered being an Auton/Roman.

Also we last saw Melody mid-Twentieth Century America, so I don't think it was too hard for her to get to the UK in time to hook up with her parents and retroactively name herself. And cause her own birth.

Actually, if there's one thing that's really scary about River Song, it's the idea that she caused her own existence.

he said that it was weird that he remembered being an Auton/Roman.
    Funny how clever writing can iron over those holes in the plot!

Si.

Also we last saw Melody mid-Twentieth Century America, so I don't think it was too hard for her to get to the UK in time to hook up with her parents and retroactively name herself. And cause her own birth.
    Not sure that stacks up does it? Day of the Moon is set in 1969 - assuming Amy & Rory are, what, mid-20s then we're talking about them being at school in the 90s/00s.

Ah! It suddenly occurs to me - unless you/we are assuming that as a timelordish person, Mels doesn't really age, so has looked like she looked on Saturday ever since she arrived after the regeneration in 1969?

I think there's really nothing more to that other than what was said in the script, plus the three months give Amy's pregnancy a fairly believable time period.
    Fair enough - except re the Doctor being locked up, I still don't get that.

Not sure that stacks up does it? Day of the Moon is set in 1969 - assuming Amy & Rory are, what, mid-20s then we're talking about them being at school in the 90s/00s.

Ah! It suddenly occurs to me - unless you/we are assuming that as a timelordish person, Mels doesn't really age, so has looked like she looked on Saturday ever since she arrived after the regeneration in 1969?
    I wasn't assuming that, but it is a possibility, how old was Hartnell's 1st Doctor supposed to be?

What I meant was, EPL & Chums must have time travel capabilities, as they got Melody to 1969 in the first place from the future....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Did the Doctor really fall so far at Demon's Run? It certainly didn't feel like he did.

Not too much of a stretch I don't think to imagine EyePatchLady & her friends had something to do with that?
    This isn't really a criticism, it's more a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment, but.... kidnapping a pregnant woman & replacing her, so as to use her timey-wimey baby, by taking her back in time to become friends with her parents as a child, so that 15 or so years later she can force an introduction to the Doctor, and then fudge the obvious opportunities to kill him, in order for him to be smug enough to let you get close enough to kiss him with some poisonous lipstick (which one would imagine is quite a dangerous thing to have on one's own lips, given there's no known cure anywhere in time and space).....

Well, it's quite an elaborate plan isn't it. Over-complicated, even...

Don't forget we saw her as a little kid at the same time as Amy and Rory were little too.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Did the Doctor really fall so far at Demon's Run? It certainly didn't feel like he did.
    He fell down a manhole just before dressing up as one of those monks. It was very embarrassing and it's unlikely he'll ever get over it.

Well, it's quite an elaborate plan isn't it. Over-complicated, even...
    It was done by committee at a brainstorming session, after a particularly productive team-bonding weekend.

It was probably one of those desperate, 5:45, everybody just wants to get home, "We've got to come up with something" sort of ideas...

Perhaps the Master is behind it after all.

This isn't really a criticism, it's more a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment, but.... kidnapping a pregnant woman & replacing her, so as to use her timey-wimey baby
    I think this was as far as their plan went. It wasn't that complicated to kidnap a baby and brainwash it. Then they send her out into time and space where she'll inevitably run into Matt Smith's Doctor in generally reverse order and....

ARGH!

And who's running the Storm Cage that she keeps escaping from? Is it actually Colditz? Or is a bit of rainy weather really supposed to stop her running away?

On an admittedly extremely pedantic note, Melody's regeneration in New York is stated to be six months after July 1969, so that would be in January 1970.

Alas, I am very sceptical that we will ever get answers to all these questions! If we're lucky, most of them will be answered... but I doubt that all of them will be.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Cynic!

Though you may be right, I'm quite looking forward to at least having some of them answered.

Lest we forget that weird figure running around in Amy's house when she was waiting for The Doctor,

And who was chasing down everyone for three months in the Astronaut two-parter,

And why Amy doesn't remember seeing the photographs of her with the kid in the Astronaut two-parter,

What the Silence were doing to Amy and what for,

Who made the Spacesuit,

And, most importantly, did Jeff ever delete his internet history? Furthermore, did Hitler get out of the cupboard at last? Or will there be a followup next season?

"Let's Get Hitler... Outta the Cupboard"

Note: I stand by my original answer for the first point that the figure is, in fact, The Doctor and that the second point will never be answered and is just a product of lazy writing to get the characters from point A to point B.

You could assume the figure was the Doctor while he was nipping about her timestream in "The Big Bang". Whatever the hell that was all about.

Si.

Basically it seemed to be that everyone lived because Amy remembered them but no it didn't make much sense. I wonder if a fuller explanation will be given?

Pah! Answers are for crosswords.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Wells View Post
    Pah! Answers are for crosswords.
    I bet that's what RTD used to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    I bet that's what RTD used to say.
    Seems to be what Moffat says, too

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBeastie View Post
    And who was chasing down everyone for three months in the Astronaut two-parter,
    Well... that FBI bloke was chasing everyone down. Or do you mean something else?