View Poll Results: What was your favourite travelling arrangement for the Doctor?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sarah Jane Smith

3 23.08%
  • No companion (ala The Deadly Assassin)

0 0%
  • Leela

10 76.92%

Default Favourite companion

Well, it's a simple enough question - what travelling arrangement did you prefer for the Doctor in Season 14!?

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

No disrespect to Liz, but season 14 wasn't really 'her' year was it - she's fine, in both Masque and Hand, but doesn't really make as much of an impression as in previous years. 'No Companion' is a nice thought, but in reality it forced the script (for TDA) to either have the Doctor talking to himself (which, perhaps unexpectedly, Tom doesn't do very well) or give him guest companions to talk & explain to, with Engin and Spandrell.

On the other hand, Leela is a revelation, making a striking impression both visually (of course!) but also as a character. She has an almost religious faith in the Doctor's goodness and intelligence, but is still questioning of things - Louise Jameson is just superb, making Leela's innocence touching rather than annoying, but also giving her dignity and her own identity. I love, for example, the opening TARDIS scene in Robots, where the Doctor explains the TARDIS to her.

I can't explain myself any better than Andrew already has, so I completely agree with him.
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    I can't explain myself any better than Andrew already has, so I completely agree with him.
    Likewise

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Still a big Sarah Jane fan and always will be even though she only appeared in two stories of this season. I liked Leela very much in Robots and Talons but for me it's still the late, great Elizabeth Sladen.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Leela! She's incredibly well served by the scripts this season, with Chris Boucher writing for the character he created twice and Robert Holmes, of course, giving her some wonderful material in Talons. Louise Jameson is wonderful here, never giving anything less than her all, despite battling glandular fever and a lead actor who didn't really want her there.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    No disrespect to Liz, but season 14 wasn't really 'her' year was it - she's fine, in both Masque and Hand, but doesn't really make as much of an impression as in previous years. 'No Companion' is a nice thought, but in reality it forced the script (for TDA) to either have the Doctor talking to himself (which, perhaps unexpectedly, Tom doesn't do very well) or give him guest companions to talk & explain to, with Engin and Spandrell.

On the other hand, Leela is a revelation, making a striking impression both visually (of course!) but also as a character. She has an almost religious faith in the Doctor's goodness and intelligence, but is still questioning of things - Louise Jameson is just superb, making Leela's innocence touching rather than annoying, but also giving her dignity and her own identity. I love, for example, the opening TARDIS scene in Robots, where the Doctor explains the TARDIS to her.

despite my love for Liz, have to agree with what Andrew says.