Default The Story of the Weak Woman

Mention of the reduced prison space on the other thread, reminds me of a real life story of crime that touched our family recently. It's one I thought I'd share with you to see if you think this is just or not.

My Nan has a cleaner called Eileen. I've never met her, but I hear tales about her and she's annoyed me for ages because she's such a weak woman - the sort of person I despise. She puts up with her two deliquent sons who treat her house like a hotel. They're in and out of trouble with the law but still she treats them like little angels. She's only a so-so cleaner as well but my Nan's too nice to get rid of her. Recently I picked Nan up a new vacuum cleaner and her main concern was that Eileen would be able to use it and wouldn't break it. You're paying her to be a cleaner, for goodness sake!

Anyway, it's just come out that Eileen has been prosecuted for Benefit Fraud. She'd been claiming for her ex-husbands mother (who lives in Australia!) and had stolen 11,000 off the taxpayer. The irony is, she's not poor. She was left a house in a will which she is attempting to sell and has had offers on (but she was holding out for more cash). It looks like it was just greed.

Mum feels bad because she has recommended Eileen to clean for friends' elderly parents, not to mention the fact that she cleans for Nan. She's never stolen from Nan (as far as we know) but if she's got a conviction for fraud, I guess you can't rule it out. And now she has 11,000 to pay back.

Anyway, apparently she's escaped a prison sentence because of the new recommendations due to overcrowding. She's got to pay the money back, but with this added to her reputation we don't see how she'll ever be able to, and then what can they do to make her if they can't lock her up? So she's effectively free. And Nan still hasn't definately decided not to employ her any more. I think she's worried about offending her.

Si.

Definately not just. Over here, someone like that would probably get weekend detention (go in Friday night, come out Monday morning).

While not perfect, it's better than letting her off scot free!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Wayne Guest

I'm not too sure what to think of all that, Si. Except to say that your nan sounds really sweet, & might possibly be a bit too nice for her own good.
    Or maybe that sounds horribly cynical.