Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I pray for the Rills.

Si.

Mandrels!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Primords!

Old monsters. Sigh. Can we not move forward instead of looking back?

Can't we do both?

We'd fall over.

I think there's plenty of room for an old adversary in amongst a season of new monsters!

To be honest, there's an argument that you should see more returning monsters. The universe is only so big, and the number of species the Doctor has met only the once can't continue to expand forever, without him running into familiar faces every once in a while. So if there's a good enough story to bring them back in, just do it, I say.

And having said that, I think they've had the balance largely right over the last few years. I mean, there have been ten or eleven stories every year, in which we might have an average of two returning monsters. So it's not like there's overkill! Remember, in terms of the number of stories, we're currently getting approximately twice what we'd have had every year in the 1970s. And the Daleks managed an annual appearance for a good portion of that decade, too - that being Daleks in every fifth story...

I think what the show desperately needs is a great horrible recurring monster. Yes we've had Ood and Judoon, but not one irredeemably nasty race that the Doctor meets more than once. It'd be great of they did that.

It's official. Doctor Who has been moved to an Autumn broadcast.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/do...en-moffat.html

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I think what the show desperately needs is a great horrible recurring monster. Yes we've had Ood and Judoon, but not one irredeemably nasty race that the Doctor meets more than once. It'd be great of they did that.
    I agree, but the problem for the writers is thinking up something original, some race that has no resemblence to anything that has appeared before. Not as easy as it seems as the imagination draws on past experience.

Then again, I think there is room for the old monsters as well. But not often, no more than once or twice a season. I'd like to see the Ice Warriors make a return. Their society is complex enough that they could be enemies or allies in the same story.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    It's official. Doctor Who has been moved to an Autumn broadcast.
    It's hardly surprising, given that they haven't started filming yet!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

The UK transmission time of The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe has been announced as being 7pm on Christmas Day on BBC One (HD).

and could the Doctor Who team be off to film some of series 7 down under ?

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/11/...own-under.html

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    and could the Doctor Who team be off to film some of series 7 down under ?

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/11/...own-under.html
    I've had this confirmed (albeit second-hand). Apparently the offer was made - and tentatively accepted - immediately after the news broke that there would be American filming for the start of Series Six.

Here's something else I've heard, but I'm wrapping it in spoiler tags because it's pretty big news.

So seriously, don't look if you don't want to spoil something for yourself. Having said that, this news is bound to break before it ever gets to screen (if true), so I'm not sure it would ultimately count as a 'spoiler'.

The two 'returnees' that Marcus Wilson was talking about in DWM are...

the Ice Warriors and the Yeti. You'll want to know where this comes from: 6'8" actor/comedian Rhod Gilbert has spoken (during recording of his panel show; the sequence itself was excised from broadcast, but someone I know had the story repeated to him by a non-fan friend who was in the audience) of how he was offered a part in Doctor Who - a "Martian warrior king" - but turned it down due to a dislike of masks and prosthetics. And on the Fast Show podcast, Charlie Higson and Paul Whitehouse briefly mentioned that Higson is working on a Doctor Who script, at which point John Thompson can be heard mentioning the Yeti in the background. Okay, so either of those could be true, or could very well not be (and Thompson's comment could have been a joke), but that's what I've heard, and I thought I'd share.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Southall View Post
    Here's something else I've heard, but I'm wrapping it in spoiler tags because it's pretty big news.

So seriously, don't look if you don't want to spoil something for yourself. Having said that, this news is bound to break before it ever gets to screen (if true), so I'm not sure it would ultimately count as a 'spoiler'.

The two 'returnees' that Marcus Wilson was talking about in DWM are...

the Ice Warriors and the Yeti. You'll want to know where this comes from: 6'8" actor/comedian Rhod Gilbert has spoken (during recording of his panel show; the sequence itself was excised from broadcast, but someone I know had the story repeated to him by a non-fan friend who was in the audience) of how he was offered a part in Doctor Who - a "Martian warrior king" - but turned it down due to a dislike of masks and prosthetics. And on the Fast Show podcast, Charlie Higson and Paul Whitehouse briefly mentioned that Higson is working on a Doctor Who script, at which point John Thompson can be heard mentioning the Yeti in the background. Okay, so either of those could be true, or could very well not be (and Thompson's comment could have been a joke), but that's what I've heard, and I thought I'd share.

well from the comments made up thread about "here's what we can do with these monsters now" I'm inclined to believe there is some thing in those rumours. But as always untill I see some thing official in DWM, I tend to take all rumours with the preverbial pinch of salt. Filming dosen't start untill Febuary, so i'll be surprised if we start hearing any confirmed news about what is in series 7 untill then.

The prequel to The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardobe will be debuting online this very afternoon according the BBC Doctor Who official twitter account!

I've never watched any of the prequels

Blimey Si, as I navigated to that page your avatar was at the same photo as Richard's right above you. I thought the poor fellow was losing his colour till I realised it was you!

The prequels are well worth watching, by the way. They're like an extra scene at the top of the episode, perfectly in keeping with the tone and the production values, and better than a deleted scene, because you aren't watching them out of context (unless you watch them after you've seen the episode, that is...).

"Expect to cry your eyes out for about 20 minutes solidly " says the Moffff about the new Chrimbo Special.

I'm afraid my tears are exhausted already from what you've done to my beloved programme in series 6, mate
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    The prequel to The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardobe will be debuting online this very afternoon according the BBC Doctor Who official twitter account!
    Does anyone have a link to this for those who do not use Twitter?

Thanks Richard.

Funny thing about that website; the first thing I saw was the advent calender in the top right & the words "Suddenly, without warning, Madame Kovarian's hatchway opens wide" & I was immediately

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Thanks Richard.

Funny thing about that website; the first thing I saw was the advent calender in the top right & the words "Suddenly, without warning, Madame Kovarian's hatchway opens wide" & I was immediately
    Only just spotted this.
    I posted my own variant comment on Willy Phantom's illustration for yesterday on the festive pictures thread last night.

Slightly back on topic getting the distinct vibe that much as I very much expect to enjoy TDTWATW it's not as closely based on the C.S. Lewis novel it pays homage to as A Christmas Carol was to Dickens.