Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did you keep your videos?

Now that VHS has all but gone the way of the dinosaurs, I was wondering... did you keep your old videos, or have you thrown them out?

Personally, I've been throwing them out as they've been released on DVD. I'm slightly OCD, and I didn't want gaps in my collection. Up until I moved to the USA, I was still able to play them. Sadly, my old VHS player didn't work with a US tv, but I've still kept the videos, only to replace them when the DVD comes out (I know, force of habit, I'm afraid!)

So, what did you do?

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I'm a hoarder, I kept the lot. Even different versions, e.g Five Doctors.

You took your VCR to USA?!

They've been slowly moving to the loft. Between us, it took around 16 years to collect all the BBC Videos so they're slightly hard to part with. Although they are huge and take up loads of room.

Someone suggested chucking out the videos but keeping the covers in a ring binder. Could be a good idea!

Someone suggested chucking out the videos but keeping the covers in a ring binder. Could be a good idea!
    That someone was a clever man...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Between us, it took around 16 years to collect all the BBC Videos so they're slightly hard to part with.
    I know exactly what you mean. It was my first year in 'work' when I had the money to spend on them, 1988/89. It's a huge chunk of my life invested in them.
    I collected them every release until they stopped. I'm not quite so rigid, (steady on there Stuart ), about getting the DVD's. I guess it's because I have the stories to watch when ever I want on VHS so I get the DVD's when they are cheaper unless they are special releases, i.e recovered episodes or the animated episodes like Invasion.

I've sold most of the ones that aren't / weren't available on DVD and given the rest to charity shops. I spent many years getting a complete collection on VHS only to start getting rid of them almost immediately. I've easily made more selling than I spent buying though so it's been decades well spent.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Nope, they've all gone. In hindsight they looked hideous to start with, now they're just useless garishly coloured bricks. Off to the charity shop with you!

Well, apart from "The Five Doctors"... you know... for nostalgia's sake...

Si.

You took your VCR to USA?!
    Well, it was a VCR/DVD player combo. I was primarily hoping to use it to play all my DVDs, them being R2 and all... only to find that it wouldn't work with the tvs over here.

So, we got rid of it, and bought a multi-region blu ray player that connects to the internet and streams stuff. It was all rather exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    I've sold most of the ones that aren't / weren't available on DVD and given the rest to charity shops.
    I was giving them to charity shops as they came out on DVD when I was in the UK. But, given that they're PAL, no charity shop here will take them. So, in the bin they go!

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Until recently mine were all hidden from sight but thanks to a recent furniture shift at home I think I may have to make a ruthless decision soon. All the charity shops local to me have stopped taking VHS tapes so it will have to be a very ruthless decision although at least then I can justify keeping some of the nicer covers and just get rid of the tapes themselves!
    Last edited by Richard Brinck-Johnsen; 27th Sep 2011 at 4:32 PM. Reason: extraneous word

Still got them all. As I only own about 11 of the DVDs, I don't see them going anywhere any time soon.

...it took around 16 years to collect all the BBC Videos so they're slightly hard to part with. Although they are huge and take up loads of room.

I know what you mean there too. It took a huge chunk of my life collecting them, and no less money either.
    Up until around eight weeks ago those that are on DVD were piled up untidily on top of my shelving, I decided to take the plunge and take them over the charity shop. Previously I had sold some on E Bay, but they are virtually worthless there these days so I no longer bother there.
    Some of the covers I have kept, those that were signed, they were double covers anyway (courtesy of Tenth Planet). I intend keeping those in polly pockets. Some videos I have also kept, some of the boxsets and the tins, those I won't get rid of, they've been consigned to the retirement shelf and there they'll stay.
    I think I watched my last Who VHS back in May with The Daemons in my Pertwee run, by the time I come to any others in a retrospective they'll be on shiny disc.

I've given the videos to my son, Kieran as I replace them with the dvd.

They're all safe in the hermetically sealed containers in the loft.

Come the zombie revolution, when all DVD players are sequestered to build personal laser weapons, they'll be the only way of watching old Who !
    Bazinga !

@ Jon.

I've still got a very few (not that I ever had quite the whole lot) - The Daleks, which I got when I was 18, and some of the very early "feature length space adventure" ones, plus a signed Timelash. The rest have long since gone, mainly during the early noughties when eBay was a good way of shifting them - I think I got, for example, £20 for The Web Planet, which is more than I paid for it, and more than you need to pay for it on DVD today.

Oh yes I've got them all still. I've only bought a fraction of the DVDs and have a Sony video I picked up from the British Heart Foundation shop for £25.

Got rid of them, but still occasionally pine for The Dominators.

I think I'll get over it though ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I still have them all but then again I have only bought a handful of the DVD's. I do have a device that I can link up the VHS recorder to our PC and convert them. But, the kids complained that I was hogging the computer and I actually only ever transferred about three videos onto DVD.

Even though I never watch the classic episodes anymore, I don't think I would want to part with them as they took a lot of time, effort and money to collect them all in the first place. So, they remain in neat Doctor order piles on the top of our bedroom wardrobes.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    Personally, I've been throwing them out as they've been released on DVD.

that's how I started doing things , and when I first started to get the DVD's around 2005, I even bought my self a combined Video/DVD player but in the end I just made the decision to get rid of all my videos simply because of lack of storage space. I just piled them all into a couple of bin bags and took them to the local rubbish dump . I did this around 5 years ago when the dvd releases were still a long way from being released and if i'm honest I can't say I regretted my decision to bin the videos..

Ant, most dvd players have a setting you can change so they work with NTSC tv's. Have you tried doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Ant, most dvd players have a setting you can change so they work with NTSC tv's. Have you tried doing that?
    It's okay... as I said, we have a multi-region blu ray player now, so we can play R2 DVDs

----

I've still got a VHS copy of Day of Armageddon with the lovely Si Hart sent me way back when. Used it to stage its Brisbane premiere! Never going to part with that even though I've had no means to play it for years.

All the rest are at my Dad's house, where they will remain until the end of time - he bought a shipping container just to store all his old guff in.

Probably my favourite of the whole collection is THE DALEKS - Tape 1. Dad somehow managed to get it on its own, back in the dark days where there were no options at all to find the rest. I did manage to SEE the end, but I steadfastly refused to buy the remastered VHS or the DVD (that would be CHEATING). And so it remained, a lonely little half-story. I did find Tape 2 in a charity shop some 13 years later, so now I have both. One's with me, one's with Dad, 1000 kilometres away. It seemed fitting.

I've still got a VHS copy of Day of Armageddon with the lovely Si Hart sent me way back when. Used it to stage its Brisbane premiere! Never going to part with that even though I've had no means to play it for years.
    Aww!

Most of the VHS I have left are sitting in a pile in a corner waiting to go to a charity shop. There aren't any charity shops near me though!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I saw a charity shop at the weekend that was giving away videos, so perhaps their day has finally come.