Default DVD of the year 2011

Well, all the Classic Who DVDs for 2011 are out now, so what's been the highlight of the year for you from the range? What's been the best documentary? Anything stood out from the rest? Has 2011 been a good DW DVD year?

And how far behind are you?

I have all of them (in Region 2, of course!), but thanks to the marathon that me and the wife are doing, the only one I've actually seen so far is The Gunfighters. So I'm going to have to go with that as the best release of the year!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I can't remember! How about a list of all this years releases someone?

Si.

Meglos
    The Mutants
    The Ark
    Mannequin Mania
    Planet of the Spiders
    Paradise Towers
    Frontios
    The Sun Makers
    Earth Story
    Day of the Daleks
    Colony in Space
    Last edited by SiHart; 6th Oct 2011 at 2:56 PM. Reason: I forgot The Sun Makers. odd that.

Thanks Si. We've actually had some really good stories this year, and my favourites have been "Terror of the Autons", "Planet of the Spiders", "Paradise Towers" and "Day of the Daleks". Thanks to the rather weird selection policy at 2-entertain there were a few years when we hardly had any Pertwee, now this year we got six stories! But it's nice to finally see and enjoy them.

Si.

Oh, I'd forgotten that The Ark came out this year, too! I guess that that's another contendor for me - I think that that might actually top The Gunfighters from Earth Story

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Meglos
    The Mutants
    The Ark
    Mannequin Mania
    Planet of the Spiders
    Paradise Towers
    Frontios
    Earth Story
    Day of the Daleks
    Colony in Space
    Blimey I haven't bought any of these yet! And there was me thinking I wasn't saving enough money!

Btw are we not including Revisitations 2 (which I've just spotted has come down a little so might buy now to tide me over!) ?

It's Day of The Daleks. Absolutely superb release, loads of love and attention lavished on it and some interesting new interviewees. Plus it's a favourite story of mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    It's Day of The Daleks. Absolutely superb release, loads of love and attention lavished on it and some interesting new interviewees. Plus it's a favourite story of mine!
    Day of the Daleks was one of the few VHS releases my Dad actually bought yonks ago so I have very fond memories of watching it with my siblings as a kid. I think this endows it with a magical quality for me so I've decided I want it to be a Christmas present this year.

Even though I've still never seen The Gunfighters or The Mutants based on their reputations I'm going to stick my neck and out and name Day as my favourite from the list of new releases.

'Planet of the Spiders' for me, as it's the only one I've bought this year!

It is, though, a very good package, to be fair.

Very. I haven't bought a classic Who DVD for years now. I think I have about eight at home.

After spending a lot of time and money collecting the videos, I just didn't really want to start again buying them all on DVD. I have transferred a few from VHS on to my PC and then put them on to discs but everyone at home started complaining about me hogging the PC as it all gets recorded in real time and burning the DVD isn't a quick process either.

To be honest, I haven't watched a classic Who in a long time either.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

It's between Day of the Daleks and Planet of the Spiders for me. Both were really good releases, with lots of interesting bonus features on them.

As I've only seen Frontios from this year, it wouldn't be fair to vote! I have to say though, I'm really impressed with all the extras you get on DW DVDs!

The Auton Invasions (which they somehow, and inexplicably, misnamed "Mannequin Mania" on the box) for me; I've always been a huge fan of both stories, and to see them restored as lovingly as they have been made it almost like watching 200 minutes of brand new Doctor Who.

I think that would have been my favourite box set whichever year it had come out in.

Well, all the Classic Who DVDs for 2011 are out now, so what's been the highlight of the year for you from the range? What's been the best documentary? Anything stood out from the rest? Has 2011 been a good DW DVD year?

shouldn't we be having a poll on this thread...

think in terms of quality of the stories and the extras i've got to go for Mannequin Mania - I've bought every release this year and pretty much seen everything with the exception of Frontios, and Colony.

There are too many options for a poll! It's been a bumper year.

The Auton Invasions (which they somehow, and inexplicably, misnamed "Mannequin Mania" on the box)
    It should have been "Plastic Fantastic"!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    It should have been "Plastic Fantastic"!

Si.
    A very appropriate description of the contents!

I'm so far behind that I've still got 2/3 of Myths and Legends to watch (I have done The Time Monster) and the first Revisitations set from 2010!

As for last year's releases, I've bought Spiders, Ark and the Auton and Mara boxsets (that's missing from your list above, Si!). Of these, I have only watched the Spiders omnibus version as I was particularly curious to see it (it was my first clear memory of watching Who at Christmas '74). Needless to say, I haven't bought any of this year's releases yet!

Well I went beyond the call of duty to only get Day of The Daleks so I can only be disqualified by a vote for this story. I'll really try harder to keep up this year.