Default Unbound 2: Sympathy for the Devil

Sympathy for the Devil
    Starring David Warner and Nicholas Courtney

What if... the Doctor had not been UNIT's scientific advisor?

So, we begin this story with David Warner's alternative Doctor landing in Hong Kong in 1997, on the eve of the Chinese handover, having been exiled by the Time Lords. I'd like to start off by saying that this is an absolutely marvellous setting. On TV, we've never been quite as far afield as this, and I really enjoyed this setting.

Anyway, I really can't fault the casting here. It's all so perfect. It's great to hear Nic Courtney as the bitter old version of the Brig. I fell in love with David Warner's interpretation of the Doc almost immediately (it's a shame he never got to play the role on tv), and Sam Kisgart... wait, Mark Gatiss, was absolutely superb as Ke Le... wait, The Master! He had just the right mix of suave, bitterness and insanity. Of course, there's the now so-familiary, but then-unknown, David Tennant as Colonel Wood, who is so fantastically... well, arseholeish. I really can't think of a beter word.

One thing that I truly loved was the little continuity mentions... Stahlmann's gas, Autons, dinosaurs, Silurians etc. It's a nice little nod to how things could've panned out had the Doctor not been there. Of course, the whole thing is set around the main events of The Mind of Evil, so that's that. Likewise, the humour in this episode is great: "Oh, your English is very good..." "...it should be, I'm from Slough!" Lovely stuff.

Now, this story is definitely one for established fans of the TV series. This is where the continuity mentions work against it. If you're not familiar with the Pertwee years, you really shouldn't bother with this one. I won't be passing this to my wife to listen to until we've reached the Tom Baker era in our marathon!

This whole story feels like if it were made for TV or the big screen, it'd have to have a tremendous budget. Beyond the setting, we have stealth helicopters, crashing stealth planes, explosions and the like. They just couldn't do it on Doctor Who's normal budget, and so this is an example of the author utilising audio's biggest strength.

Frankly, I had fond memories of this one from the last time I heard this, and it really lived up to them.

10/10.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

It's Sunday night! It's Professor X night! Why isn't it on?

Not sure if I need to add anything to that glowing review. I'm sure if he were still around Nick would be delighted to know people were still enjoying this one even though I have it on good authority he wasn't entirely comfortable with portraying this alternative version of the Brigadier. Maybe director Gary Russell didn't do a good enough job of explaining that this was meant to be a completely alternative universe (something which was not unfamiliar territory to Nick considering his role in Inferno) but he particularly disliked having to refer to UNIT as his worst enemies. That said despite this knowledge I still find his performance very believable which is a credit to Jonathan Clements' script as much as anything else.
    Just to add that I do love Gatiss' version of the Master. Such perfect delivery of lines right from his opening "Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear", including on being told Ling is from Slough the dead pan "Oh Tragic" and of course the referential classic "A new TARDIS! At last!"

I have to agree with both the reviews above and with their opinions on the performances of David Warner, Nick Courtney, David Tennant and Mark Gatiss. I also agree with Anthony that if you are not familiar with the Pertwee era you will not understand some of the references, which adds to the plot.

I have nothing more to add: having bought the CD on the strength of David Warner playing the Doctor, I was pleased with the whole product, just like everyone else so far.