Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will Torchwood return?

So, it seems that most people did not enjoy Miracle Day, but the question remains as to whether or not the series will return.

Russell T. Davies originally said that he was done with Torchwood, but has since said that he has another idea that will round-off Gwen's story. Starz have said that they can't see it being an annual event, but more whenever Barrowmen and Russell T. are available.

So, do you think Torchwood will be back? Do you even want it to return for another season?

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I wouldn't mind seeing a new series of Torchwood. Hopefully the producers would of taken notes about what went right (Lauren Ambrose) and what went wrong (See the Miracle Day threads for more details) and worked something out from there. I know people (not on this site) who insist they should of stopped after CoE. I agree, but they didn't stop, so they should at least have another chance to put things right. (Even though things weren't that bad compared to The Fades and whatever Spielberg is adapting for TV anyway)

To be honest I probably won't watch no matter what they do. I feel that aside from Children of Earth the show hasn't really worked. For the first two years it scabbled arounf with a variety of tones, producing uneven episodes with no-one really sure what it was about or who it should be aimed at.

Then we get a stunning season where the 5 episode format worked to Torchwood's benefit to produce a genuinely stunning piece of TV.

This was followed by Miracle day which stretched a small story out for too long, was grim for the sake of it and we're back to the Torchwood problem- uneven storytelling and tone. I can't see this ever being solved the way it's going.

I think "Torchwood" is a show without an identity. It's a mongrel. It began by borrowing bits of Doctor Who's DNA. Then, like a child who learned to swear, it tried desperately to forge its own persona by lashing out with various unpleasant adult themes. There was some talent on display by the way, but those episodes haven't aged well - a lot of them verge from unintentionally hilarious to offensive today, although there is the odd gem.

Then it tried, successfully, to be a soap-style continuous adult mini-drama. By this point, no-one expected anyone to care to its rapturous success was an enormous surprise to everyone involved. And then - oh no - poor Torchwood had yet another identity crisis as everyone said that because it was so expensive it should be a glossy American drama! So again Torchwood had to change.

The resulting series as a whole is a mess. It's no one thing that can be loved. Apart from Jack and Gwyn, there arn't any continuous characters and even they have changed according to neccessity. It's ranged from being awful to excellent at various times, but it's always looked as though it's desperately trying to please.

So will it return? Who knows. But, more importantly, who will care? If there is any individual out there who is a hardcore Torchwood fan, he must be a very mixed up person indeed.

Si.

I hope that it continues as a book and audio series, but wouldn't miss it if it never appeared on TV again.

Perhaps its time for it to leave the hands of its creators and be picked up by someone who has more of an idea of what to do with it ? Sadly I don't think that would be allowed to happen.
    Bazinga !

It's a mongrel.

"Jaack! Jaaack! I'm goaing barck to Way-ales, for me Daad, Jaaack!"

Only a mother could love a show like Torchwood. A particularly generous, big, gay Welsh mother. The ratings were good though, so they might do another series. But I don't think RTD would want to be involved and Chibnall is off doing other things, so it's a mystery who could take it over. Espension?

If it does return what on Earth will it return as? It could be a weekly series set on a Moonbase, it could be a nightly soap opera about corpse-shagging. I have no idea. I don't think I'll bother watching though. I really, really dislike the character Gwen has become (or maybe she was always like that), and I don't particularly like the angst-laden version of Jack. And those are the only characters who I can be sure will even be in it.

And I STILL don't know when all these lifetimes-worth of ex-lovers that Jack claims to have had are meant to have happened, as it doesn't fit what we've been told about his timeline at all. Which doesn't particularly matter, but to me it's just more evidence that RTD doesn't care about, or keep track of, the details of things, so how is anyone else suppose to care?

Most of the stuff Jack talks about happened before he met the Doctor when he was a time agent. At least that's how I've always seen it.

I'd be happy to have Torchwood continue as an audio series as the Lost Files on Radio 4 in July severely outclassed Miracle Day. To be honest I kind of felt like the series ran out of steam TV wise after CoE.

Yes but before he met the Doctor then surely he was meant to be about 40 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    Most of the stuff Jack talks about happened before he met the Doctor when he was a time agent. At least that's how I've always seen it.
    A fair bit of it happened when he got buried for centuries until he was dug up by the Victorian Torchwood team. That explains his relationship with the Italian fella, and how he was able to reference the Doctor during that time.

As for Torchwood, nah, bored now. I'd like to see Captain Jack pop up in Who from time to time, but as the fun non-broody version. And Gwen should be cast in Eastenders, back undercover with Rhys and the baby, though once every so often an extra-terrestrial event could take place. It'd certainly make the Christmas misery-fests more interesting anyway. And they could even have a crossover with Who one year.

Ah. I've gone too far. I must stop doing that.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    A fair bit of it happened when he got buried for centuries until he was dug up by the Victorian Torchwood team. That explains his relationship with the Italian fella, and how he was able to reference the Doctor during that time.
    But didn't they then put him in suspended animation until the 21st century again? Hard to see how you can get much shagging done buried underground either

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    But didn't they then put him in suspended animation until the 21st century again? Hard to see how you can get much shagging done buried underground either
    Quite correct. Most of the stuff refered to including Angelo happened pre-series 1 but post-The Parting of The Ways when The Doctor left Jack behind on Satellite Five with a faulty teleporter wrist band thingy so when he used it he ended up back on Earth in 1869 and had to wait for over 130 years for the right version of the Doctor to reappear in Cardiff.

Well, it looks like most of PS would rather see Torchwood not return!

Personally, I think it should. I'd like to see more of the new team of Jack, Gwen and Rex. Where will they go from here? It'd be interesting to see them re-incorporate Torchwood as an official organisation, get two new members on board, and either have a mini-series of 5 parts in the vein of Children of Earth, or a full series of stand-alone adventures.

All in all, I think that while Miracle Day was highly entertaining, it was overall a failure, and that the experiment was ultimately a failure.

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

I think that while Miracle Day was highly entertaining
    That's funny because I thought it was nasty, boring and annoying. I'm all for being positive about quality TV, but Torchwood: Miracle Day crystalised everything that was wrong with the show and added a huge dollop of everything that was wrong with Lost on top of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    That's funny because I thought it was nasty, boring and annoying. I'm all for being positive about quality TV, but Torchwood: Miracle Day crystalised everything that was wrong with the show and added a huge dollop of everything that was wrong with Lost on top of it!
    I found it extremely compelling - the dialogue was, in general, much better than most shows these days (I've REALLY missed RTD's wondeful dialogue, tbh - that's something that he's always been absolutely brilliant at)

I didn't think that it was nearly as nasty or as grim as Children of Earth was. There was little to even brighten the spirits there - virtually everyone came out of that badly. I found Miracle Day to be positively bright in comparison. Certainly, there were moments that shocked (such as Vera in the incinerator), but overall, I found it to be less "nasty".

But, each to their own - it would be terribly dull if we all had the same opinions

----

I loved it. I really did. It was flawed, sure, but it had myself and lots of my non SF, non Who fand discussing huge moral and philosophical issues around it, and it was one of the few series that's done that as long as I can remember. Yeah, it's cheesy (though not as cheesy as much of Tennant Who), and Americanis(z)ed, but I still want to see it back.

Despite my criticisms of Miracle Day I will buy the series 1-4 Blu Ray at some point (the 1-3 set never quite got low enough in price for me justify and I currently on have the DVD of series 1) and although I don't particularly want to see the Families return. Jilly maybe and Rex as well but I'm not as down on him as some people I know. I'd definitely like to see more for Jack and Gwen and more especially Rhys and Sergeant Andy

My central problem with Torchwood, in a nutshell, is that RTD made a conscious decision to make it 'dark', but it stars Captain Jack Harkness.

All the things that made Jack such a wonderful character in Who have gradually been sidelined, and replaced with heavyweight issues and angst. I'd have loved to have seen a series starring the Jack of the Eccleston era, but with the weight of carrying an 'adult' drama series, he no longer had the freedom to be the effervescent loose cannon we'd known and loved.

Don't get me wrong. Torchwood has been pretty good, particularly the Quatermassy Children of Earth. But John Barrowman is completely the wrong actor for a Quatermass-esque role.

I was so tempted to make a "Barrowman Buggered If He Knows" headline for this, but wasn't sure if people would have found it funny.

Torchwood star John Barrowman has admitted to being completely in the dark over the show's future.

The Doctor Who spin-off returned for a fourth series this year, moving to the US for international production Miracle Day. Despite the bigger budget and transatlantic cast, the ten-part run received mixed reviews.

And while the finale left the doors open for a return with several plot threads left open, Barrowman, who plays Captain Jack Harkness, said that he is uncertain whether the show will return.

He told RTE: "We've pushed the pause button now because we don’t know what's happening. I would love to do a new series and I will play Captain Jack as long as they want me to play Captain Jack. It's in limbo at the moment and beyond my control."

However, the actor called for a big screen version of the cult show: "I think that Torchwood, more so than Doctor Who, lends itself to being a big film because it's more adult."

Torchwood executive producer Julie Gardner recently said of the show's future: "I don't know if there will be more. It has been across so many different channels and so many international audiences, across so many different story structures, and so many numbers of episodes. There's no single way forward for the show."
    http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/to...er-show/252347

Quote Originally Posted by wombatskidude View Post
    My central problem with Torchwood, in a nutshell, is that RTD made a conscious decision to make it 'dark', but it stars Captain Jack Harkness.

All the things that made Jack such a wonderful character in Who have gradually been sidelined, and replaced with heavyweight issues and angst. I'd have loved to have seen a series starring the Jack of the Eccleston era, but with the weight of carrying an 'adult' drama series, he no longer had the freedom to be the effervescent loose cannon we'd known and loved.

Don't get me wrong. Torchwood has been pretty good, particularly the Quatermassy Children of Earth. But John Barrowman is completely the wrong actor for a Quatermass-esque role.
    That's one of the summaries of the overall problem with Torchwood as a whole that I've ever read. That said I think Barrowman has grown more comfortable with the Torchwood version of Jack that we've come to know over the four series.
    If we do get a fifth series whilst yes I'd like to see Gwen, Rhys, Andy and yes even Rex come back I'd like them to make it a more Jack centred series than Miracle Day was.
    And they should take a few leaves out from the Radio 4 Lost Files series that aired in July as well. The House of the Dead was one of the best episodes of Torchwood there has ever been!

I should probably start a new thread somewhere else for this but I'd like to keep the Torchwood forum going a for a bit longer.

Some sad news and a reminder of how wonderfully clever RTD is:

Interview: Russell T Davies on shelving US projects, his partner's cancer diagnosis and coming home

Some Eve Myles comments quoted from the DWNP...

Meanwhile, in an interview with Cultbox, she told of her hopes that Torchwood will be back in some form or another. "Nothing's going to happen in 2012, I know that much for sure. But who knows what will happen in 2013? Maybe a movie, to kinda draw a line under it. We've got such an outstanding loyal fan base. They deserve Torchwood to go ahead with something else to draw a line under it, for the fans to have a bit of closure," she said.

How many lines need to be drawn under "Torchwood" though? It's already had so many lines drawn under it that the proverbial pencil must now be worn down to a stump.

Also someone should tell her that TV/Movie Exec's don't usually make million pound movies to help the fans draw a line under a favourite ailing series.

Si.

They deserve Torchwood to go ahead
    Oh god no, I know I've sinned in my life but SURELY we do NOT deserve THIS!!!!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've drawn a line under Torchwood. It's one of those crime scene lines.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.