Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not as thick as the lines under John Barrowman's eyes...
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

If it doesn't go back to Cymru I'm not interested :-)

Does Torchwood really have a loyal fan base? I'm sure it can't have very many fans who haven't got to it via Doctor Who, and if this forum is anything to go by then most Doctor Who fans aren't really all that bothered about it either.

Ah - you obviously never saw the disturbing 'Bring Back Ianto Jones' campaign. Their attitude was one of outrage that their favourite character had been killed off. That's loyalty.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Hopefully last year's rather brilliant Radio 4 offering "The House of the Dead" went some way towards giving the Ianto fans some closure. If they could all be as good as that I'd be campaigning for a new radio series of Torchwood right now instead of working!

I'm not really that bothered if it doesn't come back, though I'll watch it if it does.

To be honest, I found Children of Earth and Miracle Day superior to Doctor Who in storytelling, pathos and the many intellectual philosophical conversations they provoked. I do recognise though that most Doctor Who fans I know personally actually have bile towards it- never quite worked out why.

Written well, I'd be more pleased to see Torchwood than many of the very poor Doctor stories we've had over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    Hopefully last year's rather brilliant Radio 4 offering "The House of the Dead" went some way towards giving the Ianto fans some closure. If they could all be as good as that I'd be campaigning for a new radio series of Torchwood right now instead of working!
    I thought that was the weakest episode, but the radio Torchwoods have been pretty good overall (and horribly scary; I can only bring myself to listen to the one set in India without quivering in terror) and I'd be happy to have another series of them. In addition to the tight storytelling and varied settings, the main draw of the audio adventures is that without a camera to play up to, Barrowman remembers how to play Captain Jack.

But then again, I haven't quite given up on Torchwood telly ... yet. I'd give another series a go.

I do recognise though that most Doctor Who fans I know personally actually have bile towards it- never quite worked out why.
    Personally, I have no problem with Children of Earth (though it was rather harrowing). Miracle Day was OK, but rambled on and on and bloody on and never got anywhere. It laid open all of Torchwood's faults in the worst light, by being serious in a ridiculous way, before lurching into sheer nastiness. That's what I didn't like about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Personally, I have no problem with Children of Earth (though it was rather harrowing). Miracle Day was OK, but rambled on and on and bloody on and never got anywhere. It laid open all of Torchwood's faults in the worst light, by being serious in a ridiculous way, before lurching into sheer nastiness. That's what I didn't like about it.
    Totally agree, plus I don't know anyone who doesn't think there was no need for Miracle Day to have twice as many episodes as CoE.

I'd love to see what Big Finish might do with Torchwood given half a chance. Some plays with original music rather than continual reuse of Ben Foster's TV scores would be nice.

I agree it should have been 2 or 3 episodes less, but then so could a large number of Doctor Who stories, including classics such as Genesis and Sea Devils. In new Who, a number of stories have been an episode too long- New Earth comes to mind.