Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Well everything finished very amicably in Ambridge Extra,none of the fallout that was threatened previously just a hint that a certain villain may show up again in the future,this aside series 2 has been a vast improvement although no mention has been made of the shows future

Lovely wedding episode marking the programme's 61st Anniversary last night, especially Roy's best man speech.

Tonight sees the first anniversary of the events of Shake Ambridge To The Core!!

Just had to wipe a couple of tears away after the end of last night's episode. Glad to hear the ghost of Siobhan Hathaway finally laid to rest though.

I've enjoyed the references to Nigel,Nelson and Julia and their participations in the various christmas pantos....this was around the time I first regularly listened and with the exception of Lynda have long been my favourite characters....you don't get the eccentrics anymore!

Bloody hell! I wonder if this has happened for real to any rural communities? Ambridge has been cut off from the internet and phones by copper wire thieves stealing an exchange wire!

I'm actually thinking this is a good storyline as it undoubtedly affects everyone in Ambridge

Well, some parts of the Virgin network are without internet access tonight.
    Maybe the affected customers would be able to sympathise with Ambridge
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Yes, I had a brief down time from virgin at home last night so it must've been quite widespread when I assumed it was local. The timing couldn't have been more ironic.

Loving the blitz spirit in last night's episode.

So Gary Horrobin is a Star Trek fan. Well I never.

Is it time for the new series of AmEx yet? I'm glad it's coming back for 2 more series this year

I'd guess it returns around Easter time

I'd imagine so too. Meanwhile, lots of drama last night! Even though they've been signposting the decline in Tony's health for some time I was still left rather unnerved.

If anything Pat and Tony have taken a much higher place in the storylines recently so it's no surprise they are the focus of bigger storylines(which I have yet to discover as I listen to the omnibus more now)

Apparently editor Vanessa Whitburn is taking a short break from the programme.....the beginning of the end maybe?

Interesting, I know some of the more controversial plot lines of recent years haven't gone down well with some listeners but I've really enjoyed the programme and its recent off shoot so maybe she just needs a rest. She has been doing a job a fair while after all.

I imagine last night's episode might have been a shock to the system for any main programme listeners who didn't hear all of series one of Ambridge Extra last year. Suddenly hearing Jamie and his girlfriend Nat for the first time in months was a bit of a bolt out of the blue and until Tom and Tony appeared the whole episode had a strong "Previously on Ambridge Extra" vibe with Chris and Alice Carter taking up the other scenes.

Speaking of Tom and Tony, am I the only one who thinks Tom's sudden change of heart about allowing his long-lost nephew Rich to be part of the family is a stretching credulity just a little?

Loving the witness intimidation plotline involving David and Ruth. I'm glad they didn't kill off Adam but it's about time something terrible happened in Ambridge.

Just discovered that Carl the love rat was played by Nicholas Bailey who used to be Dr Anthony Trueman in EastEnders. And I thought he was such a nice young man!

So Will and Nic want to have a baby... assuming this doesn't go the same route as the Roy and Hayley plotline (or currently the extremely annoying Toadie and Sonya plotline in Neighbours) I shall be extremely cross if the rivalry from Emma results in anything untoward happening.
    The editor and writers should consider themselves officially warned!

So the sudden increase in dramatic events in Borsetshire is down BBC Head of Drama John Yorke having taken over the reigns temporarily from editor Vanessa Whitbread who has been on leave since March and returns to the helm in July.
    Poor David and Ruth - I'm officially worried for the safety of Brookfield now!

I don't think the more hard hitting plots harm the show however,just so long as it doesn't lose focus of the fact that it is essentially a farming soap opera

Despite googling earlier to check I still managed to spell Vanessa Whitburn's name wrong!

To be fair in an article for next week's Radio Times John Yorke does mention the importance of the rhythm of farming life which which is at the core of the programme.

I'm not sure I like how much of a spiteful little bitch Amy Franks has turned into although her clashes with Alan and Usha make compelling listening.
    Personally I'd like her to have a pointless row with Alice which results in her long-suffering best friend giving her the great big slap she deserves!

So now open farm Sunday at Brookfield is under threat for the second year in a row due to another set of difficult family circumstances whilst David Archer is chair of the local NFU. Good thinking whoever storylined that.
    I guess that's what comes of the regular editor taking a sabbatical and leaving the head of BBC Drama in charge.

That said as concerned as I am for the direction the witness intimidation storyline is heading it does make for blooming compelling listening...

The third series of Ambridge Extra will begin on Tuesday 3rd July at 2.15pm on Radio 4 Extra - As with the previous series it will be broadcast on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 10 weeks.

Despite the intimidation of David and Ruth taking a particularly nasty turn on Sunday and last night Amy calling her cheating ex Carl a bastard (although the watershed doesn't seem to apply to Radio 4) some welcome rumour control about the rumoured "EastEnderisation" of our beloved Ambridge...

Is The Archers going to get darker and bigger? No.