Default BBC Radiophonic Workshop programme

Apologies if this is a) old news or b) new news delivered too late, but I just noticed in the Radio Times that there is a programme on BBC 2 tonight (11:20) about the Radiophonic Workshop. An hour long, looks interesting.

Pip Madeley Guest

It's c) - a repeat.

It's well worth a look. It;s a brilliant documentary if you like that kind of thing and you haven't seen it before.
    And even if you have seen it before it's still brilliant.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    It's c) - a repeat.
    That would fall under a) old news.

If you want to make an option c) it should be for something new like c) a hoax

Impudent brat

Pip Madeley Guest

Impudent brat
    d) Piss off.

It may not be a repeat on terrestrial TV though...

It was a bit rubbish whatever it was.

And I have no idea who that fat bloke with weird hair was in the background all the time, it was obviously meant to be something "clever" and "amusing", but the only purpose he served was to distract the viewer from what the interviewees were saying.

I missed the first 20 minutes but I thought what I saw wasn't that bad. I'd watch it again if it was ever repeated. It'd make an excellent DVD extra when there's not much to put on a disc...possibly an early Hartnell.
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; 10th Feb 2007 at 10:06 PM.

I came away thinking it just scratched the surface of everything and I came away not really knowing much of anything. It was just loads of little soundbites and nothing covered in much depth. Plus it had about 50 minutes on the 60s, 10 on the 70s and nothing on the 80s. And that weird guy in the background was just distracting.

I found the subject matter really interesting but I didn't think it was a great documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    It may not be a repeat on terrestrial TV though...

It wasn't - and, I for one enjoyed it. Nice to see "DICK MILLS" who I met many moons ago and, who took me and, two friends for a look round the RADIOPHONIC WORKSHOP back in August 1978.

That was by pure accident at the end of the 2nd ever "DW" Con in this country. I was clearing up my stuff whilst chatting with "DICK" and, he asked me - "What hadn't I actually done connected with my favourits show??"

I said jokingly, "Well, apart from seeing it filmed int the tv studio, on location or, getting a part in the series!" Not a great deal.

As a result - Next day "DICK" arranged for a visit to see "ANDROIDS OF TARA" being rehearsed/filmed in TV Centre (with a little help from "K9's" alter-ego "JOHN LEESON" because "DICK" couldn't take us, himself.

But "DICK" took us that evening to said "RADIOPHONIC WORKSHOP" and, above the door inside was a sign saying THE IMPOSSIBLE WE DO AT ONCE - MIRACLES TAKE A LITTLE LONGER

As, with most things connected to the BBC (small budgets, etc - They certainly did work a few miracles before they were closed down)
    "Have you betrayed US?" - "Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK! - Avon.

Quote Originally Posted by Avon View Post
    It wasn't - and, I for one enjoyed it. Nice to see "DICK MILLS" who I met many moons ago and, who took me and, two friends for a look round the RADIOPHONIC WORKSHOP back in August 1978.

That was by pure accident at the end of the 2nd ever "DW" Con in this country. I was clearing up my stuff whilst chatting with "DICK" and, he asked me - "What hadn't I actually done connected with my favourits show??"

I said jokingly, "Well, apart from seeing it filmed int the tv studio, on location or, getting a part in the series!" Not a great deal.

As a result - Next day "DICK" arranged for a visit to see "ANDROIDS OF TARA" being rehearsed/filmed in TV Centre (with a little help from "K9's" alter-ego "JOHN LEESON" because "DICK" couldn't take us, himself.

But "DICK" took us that evening to said "RADIOPHONIC WORKSHOP" and, above the door inside was a sign saying THE IMPOSSIBLE WE DO AT ONCE - MIRACLES TAKE A LITTLE LONGER

As, with most things connected to the BBC (small budgets, etc - They certainly did work a few miracles before they were closed down)
    I'm actually quite jealous; the Radiophonic Workshop is one place I would love to have visited.
    Maybe we should do a PS petition to have it re-opened at once!!

Well I believe that the BBC have said that the R.W isn't really closed, it's just not actively making anything. I am led to believe that Mark Ayres is kind of employed to archive all the current recordings & as such he is the radiophonic workshop. So it is 'open' but not in use (if that's not a contradiction), I'm sure Mark could give a better answer on the RT forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Well I believe that the BBC have said that the R.W isn't really closed, it's just not actively making anything. I am led to believe that Mark Ayres is kind of employed to archive all the current recordings & as such he is the radiophonic workshop. So it is 'open' but not in use (if that's not a contradiction), I'm sure Mark could give a better answer on the RT forum.
    Interesting........I wonder whether one would get an answer from Mark on that question?

I'd just like to pop round and listen to his tapes.

Si xx

Is that a euphemism for something, Si?

No, I really would like to listen to his tapes! Honest!

Si xx

That would be a really lame euphamism anyway