Default Lost Stories 1.8: The Macros

Anyone heard this? I liked the way it began as a bit of a mystery, with the Doctor and Peri on board a "ghost" ship where people move but appear to be trapped in a time loop. Things then move to a different dimension.

I'm only at the end of Part 1 but it's all quite enjoyable so far, and I wasn't expecting a lot from this one.

Si.

I'm pretty sure it has already peaked I'm afraid. It opens really strongly but just falls off a massive, unmade cliff. It's not the worst of the Lost Stories but it is pretty dreadful all things considered. If I remember rightly there are two fairly big characters played by the same distinctive actress that I was sure must be the same person in disguise. But it was just cheap casting.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I didn't have a problem with the casting that I could remember but I do remember not being entirely satisfied by the story's conclusion which was a shame considering this was the "series finale" of the first season of Lost Stories.

I'm still enjoying this y'know! I'm waiting for the dull stuff to kick in, but whilst it's clearly written by someone not 100% familiar with Doctor Who, it's quite fresh and fun. The Doctor stands around in the TARDIS for five minutes at one point worrying about the consequences of the SS Eldred appearing suddenly in its harbour after 40 years which, granted, would be a bit of a shock, but is it that important compared to the other threat, that of the micro world draining energy through a rip in the fabric of the Universe?

The Episode 1 cliffhanger, Peri suddenly aging to death, is great - unexpected and terrific. I like the bit where she's forced to sing too, although sadly Nicola doesn't really "go for it". The lady playing the Queen may as well be Ingrid Pitt and is very good, though I wonder why she wasn't? A missed opportunity there.

The only complaint is that a couple of the characters sound very alike, but it's all pretty good and different. I do love these missing Sixth Doctor and Peri plays!

Si.

I guess I must have enjoyed it more than I remember as something inspired to pre-order the second season (haven't bothered with season three yet mind but that's mainly due to financial considerations). Part of me wishes they'd finished with The Song of Megaptera as I enjoyed that one more.
    Overall I did enjoy the season but the story that really let it down for me was The Hollows of Time with the central character whose identity is never properly explained due a rights issue. Can't help feeling they shouldn't have bothered with that one if they couldn't do it justice.

Well I have finished this now and I have to say I quite enjoyed it. It was a very odd story - it's like someone tried to explain the concept of Doctor Who to someone who had never seen it before, in very sketchy details, and they wrote this. It didn't follow normal Doctor Who conventions - there was LOADS of to and fro-ing in the TARDIS and the Doctor did things like get forced by the villainess into going into the TARDIS and then she takes it over.

The upside was all these unusual plotlines were actually quite fresh and exciting, even if it did feel odd. Likewise, the characters, with Peri gushing at one point "Oh my hero!" to the alien princess which did sound weird.

But I thought the villainess was extremely well played, despite some bits of awful dialogue of the "Why am I surrounded by fools?!" type.

A sort of beautiful mistake, then.

Si.