Default Metallica and Lou Reed - Lulu

With less than three weeks to go until Metallica and Lou Reed release their collaborative double album "Lulu", I finally heard one of the tracks that features on the album, with the collaborative team having put it up on YouTube.

Listen here

The album has been described as a "raging union of [Reed's] 1973 noir classic, Berlin, and Metallica's '86 crusher, Master of Puppets."

The impression that I get from the first track is that this will have Metallica fans turning off in droves, and asking for their money back. I can't speak for Lou Reed fans, as I've never listened to much of his stuff, or interacted with his fans online. Personally, I don't like it. Just when I thought Metallica couldn't possibly lose any more credability, James Hetfield is to be found yelling lyrics like "I AM THE TABLE!" on this track. Oh dear.

When it comes out, I will give the full album a go, but I'm not expecting anything like a traditional Metallica album.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I thought for a moment they were both collaborating with Lulu. I'm now upset that they're not.

That would be a VERY bizarre collaboration, I'm sure!

That said, no-one would've seen this coming, and no-one saw Metallica's one-track collaboration with hip-hop producer Swizz Beatz coming 10 years ago...

So maybe a collaboration with Lulu could be on the cards, too? After all, they did get Marianne Faithful in for a track once!

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

I never bought any Metallica. (Prefer Metalocalypse, other Dethklok fans, break your silence and we can make a thread about it!)
    That said, I loved Berlin by Lou Reed. This project looks like it'll be interesting. And it'll be funny to see Metallica fans go into meltdown over it.
    I haven't clicked the link, but the fact that I have a cat called Lulu on my lap makes me certain I'll be looking into this.

EDIT: Oh sod it! I will listen to the link.

It had me at 0.44! I will be buying this. This is going to be great art. In five years time this is going to be looked on as a significant piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    It had me at 0.44! I will be buying this. This is going to be great art. In five years time this is going to be looked on as a significant piece of work.
    I think that "art" is the only way to describe this. My initial dislike of the track has since subsided, and I think that this project will turn out to be something really quite interesting.

Still, I'm dubious about the lyrics.

----

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    I think that "art" is the only way to describe this. My initial dislike of the track has since subsided, and I think that this project will turn out to be something really quite interesting.

Still, I'm dubious about the lyrics.
    Metallica's fly on the wall film is amazing, but that's about it for me.
    At the very least it's two different acts out of their comfort zone. I'd love to see British acts stick their necks out like this, but for now, this'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    I'd love to see British acts stick their necks out like this, but for now, this'll do.
    David Bowie and Black Sabbath, perhaps?

----

I got it for Christmas. At first I thought "What the hell?..." but now I think it's the greatest album I've heard for ages.
    This might say something more about me than the album though.
    But bring forth your daggers and arrows and I will gladly take them if it means dying from a world that doesn't think this is any good.
    There is no fear! Couldn't tell you what the hell the story is about, but... I love it.

I saw Metallica and Lou Reed on Later Live. I'm a huge fan of Lou and I don't have any feelings either way about Metallica.

It was the MOSTAPPALLINGEARFISTINGCACKPOTDISGRACE I've ever heard. Actually offensively bad. The worst musical travesty I've heard in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Wells View Post
    I saw Metallica and Lou Reed on Later Live. I'm a huge fan of Lou and I don't have any feelings either way about Metallica.

It was the MOSTAPPALLINGEARFISTINGCACKPOTDISGRACE I've ever heard. Actually offensively bad. The worst musical travesty I've heard in a very long time.
    Yeah, I saw that too. It didn't sell the album well.

I AM THE TABLE!

Such is the lyrical genius at work here.

Yes, really.

----

I heard one or two of the tracks on youtube and that was enough for me.