Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Big Finish Podcast thread

I don't know if anyone else listens to the usually weekly podcasts which come ouf of Big Finish Towers but as they're often an interesting source of news, clips, and trails for upcoming releases I thought it would be nice to have a thread on here to discuss them.

It also occured to me this would an opportunity to sneak in an occasional mention of Big Finish's sssssh! Non Doctor Who ranges such as sssssh! Sherlock Holmes and even bigger ssssssssssh! Dark Shadows...

Anyway to get the ball rolling this morning I listened to the first two October podcasts which can be downloaded free on charge on the following pages (or streamed directly from the Big Finish Homepage:

Podcast October 01 Lost Stories Special

Podcast October 02 Octobers Releases & Competition Results

For those who don't follow me on twitter where I raved about it earlier there's a lovely surprise at the end of Podcast 2
    Last edited by Richard Brinck-Johnsen; 13th Oct 2011 at 1:35 PM. Reason: spacing

KEN BENTLEY~!

I'm a big fan of the podcasts but if I'm honest, there was a golden age and it's passed. We hardly ever get Briggs, David Richardson and Spragamuffin in the office just talking about Big Finish stuff. The hour-long waffly delights have fallen by the wayside as they're too busy these days. They may have peaked with the 5-day pre-Christmas pod-fest in 2009 - I've listened to those a few times and they're still huge fun.

That's the end of this post.

Good*

*an obscure joke if ever there was one.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I've never listened before, but now that I'm getting back into Big Finish, I'm listening to this month's, as I type this!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    KEN BENTLEY~!

I'm a big fan of the podcasts but if I'm honest, there was a golden age and it's passed. We hardly ever get Briggs, David Richardson and Spragamuffin in the office just talking about Big Finish stuff. The hour-long waffly delights have fallen by the wayside as they're too busy these days. They may have peaked with the 5-day pre-Christmas pod-fest in 2009 - I've listened to those a few times and they're still huge fun.

That's the end of this post.

Good*

*an obscure joke if ever there was one.
    I'm glad it's not just me who likes them.

I was right at the back of the crowded classroom during the Big Finish Day (recorded as) "live" podcast earlier this year. Ken Bentley was on that one and he seemed really nice and friendly (he was also on several panels throughout the day).
    Unfortunately I was having one of my really shy days (going to a convention on my own without knowing anyone was not one of my better ideas - I didn't recognise anyone other than the well-known writers and the celebs) so I didn't take the opportunity to speak to anyone except briefly David Richardson and Spragg when I bought a bucket load of Benny and Dark Shadows CDs at bargain price but they might as well have been anonymous shop keepers.
    Plus the fact that Barking Abbey school where Tenth Planet do a lot of their events (they were running the day for BF) happens to be where my Mum works so it was quite wierd being there, which didn't help lessen the surreality. I just wish I'd had the courage to say hello to some of the writers, oh and Lisa Bowerman...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    oh and Lisa Bowerman...
    SHE DOESN'T AGE!

She was gorgeous 10 years ago, she's still gorgeous now.

Okay, creeper moment over... back to podcasts!

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Some crushes never die

Sorry about that. Will start a seperate thread to talk about BF Day at some point...

I'm linking to The Main Podcast Page

Have fun.

Can I quietly recommend September Podcast 5 - Dark Shadows Special - a fun intro for anyone who doesn't know what on earth Dark Shadows actually is.

Oh and I wish they'd stop teasing us about the secret new (probably some kind of Doctor Who spin-off) series that apparently doesn't have Daleks in which is due to be announced in the next week or so!

...oh and Lisa Bowerman...
    Lisa is really nice. I've met her a couple of times & she can be quiet chatty, well she was to me.

Sorry about that. Will start a seperate thread to talk about BF Day at some point...
    Oh, feel free to talk about that here. I'm more just saying that my 10-year-long crush on Lisa Bowerman doesn't really belong here

----

No, it belongs in your head. Dirty boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    No, it belongs in your head. Dirty boy!

----

Lisa is really nice. I've met her a couple of times & she can be quiet chatty, well she was to me.
    As I really didn't talk to anyone that day but she was great on the panels I saw her do, especially the Benny one with Miles Richardson, Gary Russell and Scott Handcock. That pretty much guaranteed I'd buy the Epoch boxset when it came out last month, which I loved, but at the same time I'm glad I had just heard season 11 as it wasn't as much of a reboot as it's been marketed as!

Lisa's performances across the 12 series of Benny (of which I've heard 6 just this year so I'm biased) are consistantly brilliant. Especially when she's given emotionally challenging stuff to deal with. I'm really looking forward to the Road Trip boxset coming out in February.

I haven't got series 12 or 11 yet.

I haven't got series 12 or 11 yet.
    No need to be embarassed Tim. I only got season 6 in the Big Finish Christmas Sale at the end of last year then picked up 7-9 at Big Finish Day in June. I then got #10 about a month later after a massive catch up (this was before I'd discovered the PS Audios natch ) and I only heard #11 for the first time about a fortnight before I got the Epoch boxset (shouldn't really call it series 12 as they're now doing 2 boxsets a year so the old numbering doesn't really work).

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    SHE DOESN'T AGE!

She was gorgeous 10 years ago, she's still gorgeous now.
    Thank god it's not just me!

What, don't you age either Stuart?

Not since the accident in the alchemist's workshop...

Listening to this at the moment. Nick Briggs should be banned from saying the word "sexy" although at least he wasn't doing a Dalek voice at the time.

Oooh! Something interesting beginning about 16 mins in and then another very special thing about 17.25 in!

I'm listening to this for the first time.
    Hmm, sometimes the 'background' music makes it hard to hear what they are saying.
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Speak up, I can't hear you for the background music!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/Podcast November 01 We've Had Lots of Letters is now online -
    Listening to it at the moment. Some technical issues and an email from a fan whose OCD for the Big Finish podcast makes my PS Audios obsession look relatively normal!