Thread: iPhone Update

Default iPhone Update

Hasn't there been a big software update for the iPhone? "IOS5" or something? My friends iPhone has fancy new message notifications. But when I "check for updates" in iTunes it tells me I have the latest version already ("4.2.1"). So how can I get the new version?

Si.

You need the latest version of iTunes on your computer first - 10.5 - as each version of iTunes can only handle certain versions of iOS. Don't ask me why - it's an Apple feature. You're probably a few versions of iTunes behind as iTunes 10.4.x told me iOS 4.5.5 was the latest version of the phone software available but iTunes 10.5 told me iOS 5 was waiting for me.

I've played with iOS 5 on my girlfriend's new 4S and it's got some nice new features. It's installing on my phone (hopefully) as I write this.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Updating to iOs5 has been a right royal pain in the arse for me. It takes forever, crashed on first attempt, uses up so much memory I had to take lots of stuff off my iphone, and just to top it off is now out of sync with all my music library with all my albums now having the wrong artwork.

Bring back Steve Jobs.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

You need the latest version of iTunes on your computer first - 10.5
    But how? Shouldn't it download it when I clicked "Check for Updates"?!

Si.

I'm confused. I just uninstalled iTunes and downloaded the latest version from the website. But clicking "Update" still tells me I've got the latest version 4.2.1! Is it because I maybe only have an 8Gb (3G not 3GS?) iPhone? It says on the website "For iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad 2, 1, And iPod touch".

Si.

The way this forum is displayed through Tapatalk has certainly been jazzed up on my iPhone. All the "loading topics" displays now come flying in from the top left, and all the postings appear in double-quick time. Makes me feel quite dizzy! Is this change prevalent across all smartphones, or is it an iPhone thing?

I deleted Tapatalk from my iPhone because it failed to load for a number of weeks whenever I tried it. Although it still works on my iPad.

Did no-one else have problems with it?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

It went a bit odd for me but I closed it down fully and restarted it and it was back to normal.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I'm confused. I just uninstalled iTunes and downloaded the latest version from the website. But clicking "Update" still tells me I've got the latest version 4.2.1! Is it because I maybe only have an 8Gb (3G not 3GS?) iPhone? It says on the website "For iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad 2, 1, And iPod touch".

Si.
    Yeah IOS5 only works on 3GS phones or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    I deleted Tapatalk from my iPhone because it failed to load for a number of weeks whenever I tried it. Although it still works on my iPad.

Did no-one else have problems with it?
    No - Tapatalk is working fine on my 3GS

Apparently it deliberately doesn't work for phones like mine to get you to upgrade.

Thanks, Apple.

Si.