Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It's more the Doctor's response than the rather puerile line itself that amused.
    I think Paul, Steve and Dave Tudor's central performances save this play from being a disappointing entry. Although the supporting cast are great as well especially Messrs Culley and Taylor.

I didn't like the shitter line either.

Also I've never listened to Tea with Trods. And Ali was brilliant. Such a shame that there aren't any other Doctor / Rosalind stories

And I didn't say at the time but I was a bit miffed at recording all the ghost lines only for them not to be used. (Although I appreciate it was for production reasons)

Listening to this again today, the main problenm aside from Ali being so quiet, which was one of those production problems we sadly couldn't get around, is that so much of the music is overpowering or inappropraite. It seems to work against the play and its atmosphere. It just doesn't work for me. It's too melodramatic, or else anachronistic and out of its time.
    Also, considering how much time was spent on the production, this is one of the barest and starkest productions we've done. It's difficult to feel any sense of place through the long dialogue scenes.

Best bits are the flashbacks, which are played with great gusto. In fact the guest cast are very good indeed- lots of lovely fruity voices.

Steve's performance in this one is eccentric at best! Dave is at his most childlike and Paul is rather good all round- especially at the very end.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I did enjoy it though- more than i expected, but I think if it comes down to it, it's my least favourite PS Audio.

What I wanted for this one was an afternoon play feel. These characters, all fruity voiced and eccentric, turning up in a big house for a Sunday Afternoon murder mystery. I wanted us all sitting round in a lounge, hamming it up and for the production to bring out the performances, but with a rich, ticking-clock atmosphere.

What we got was a play which had to be crammed into the end of an afternoon, with one of the main voices barely audible. It was a dissapointment, but we tried to do too much.

Maybe one day we'll do this type of story again, and do it right.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Maybe one day we'll do this type of story again, and do it right.
    Hmm, now there's a thought.

Just about to listen to the next one. Hope to get review done before I leave at 5 but if not the notes will at least be done and the review will go up tomorrow morning.
    I'm still intending to get to the end of season 2 tomorrow so should have scores on the doors by Wednesday if not sooner!

Do you just do the line by line commentary type reviews on re-listening? After your detailed analysis of the earlier stories, I was crestfallen that the new episode didn't get the same treatment as I figured it must have gone down really badly! Not that that's a bad thing, I'd just like to say that no offence would be taken whatsoever if you didn't take to an adventure (so anything you write about TKM is fine too!) but I was looking forward to your in depth analysis. All comments, good and bad, are welcome!

Si.

To be honest I haven't done a full review of 4.4.1 yet because I don't want to put too many spoilers in the way of people who haven't listened yet (and I was conscious on first listening that most people wouldn't have realised it was already there until later on Saturday) and there are lots of surprises. Even with spoiler bracketing it's still very easy to trip over these things I find. I promise that so far it is in a much higher scoring bracket than The Curse of Ratanapura to give an example.

Anyway time for Dalek action!

I promise that so far it is in a much higher scoring bracket than The Curse of Ratanapura
    I love faint praise!

Si.

I love faint praise!

Si.
    Wahoo!

Do you just do the line by line commentary type reviews on re-listening? After your detailed analysis of the earlier stories, I was crestfallen that the new episode didn't get the same treatment as I figured it must have gone down really badly! Not that that's a bad thing, I'd just like to say that no offence would be taken whatsoever if you didn't take to an adventure (so anything you write about TKM is fine too!) but I was looking forward to your in depth analysis. All comments, good and bad, are welcome!
    On a more serious note I'm sorry that you were crestfallen. I hope my subsequent comments have lessened that. It is a lot easier to do analysis on a second listen (although saying that I've listened to that particular episode at least 3 times already which must say something) plus it gives me a legitimate excuse for doing so.

2.5 Eye of The Daleks

The TARDIS collides with a stolen space ship leaving the occupants of both vessels on a mysterious crystal planet. A case of the boy who cried wolf leads to the Doctor finding himself once again face to face with his oldest enemies...for real this time!

In general I like the pre-credits introduction of the three other main characters for this story so I’m so sorry to start with a negative comment. Unfortunately I’m not very keen on Anthony’s northern accent that said the characterisation in general is still pretty spot on.
    Hurrah for the return of “The voice of the future”.
    Like Phil’s Bee impersonation.

I think I’ve really grown to re-appreciate Rob as I’ve been reviewing these plays in detail because I don’t seem to be able find fault with his silliness any more (although it’s probably good that the eccentricity of The Curse of Ratanapura has taken a back seat for this play as he does get some meaty stuff to play)
    Love Rob saying “no” when asked if ok.
    “The spider princesses of Shangalangalong Five!” Love it.
    “There’s lot of glare I see”. Kudos for getting that in. Struggling not to laugh out loud (I don’t imagine Dave delivered those running gag lines so perfectly dead pan on the first take, if he did manage to then even more kudos).

Like the whole boy who cried wolf business with the Dalek appearance.
    Lots of planets have a north it seems. Even Skaro
    Wayne still does a great job throughout.

Is the Doctor lying? I can’t recall him ever mentioning Nick and Rob to Ed in any of the adventures I’ve heard

“Oi over here Metal Mickey!” Love it

Love the Doctor offering mocking suggestions of how he could help.
    “The Powers of the Daleks, I’ve heard that before.” Very good.

Nice chemistry between Rob and Choodar.
    Linda McCow! Yay!

“Alright suit yourself girlfriend!”

Paul does play these scenes with the Daleks very well.

Poor Fnub! I liked him so rather sad at him being the first to be killed. Great reaction delivery of “There’s nothing we can do!”

Is that… a Kroton? (To my shame I’m not familiar enough with the original versions to recognise it instantly). Nice cliffhanger anyway.

Daleks vs. Krotons. Like the lesser species getting upper hand in battle, at least to start with.

Like this scene in the cave between Rob and Choo’Dar.
    So is this the first time Rob’s met the Daleks then? Surely it’s already been strongly implied he and Nick have encountered the Daleks properly before now.
    Oh my! Rob’s got an alien girlfriend it seems.

“I’ve met them before, well two of them.” Nice reference.

Like Della selling out Nick and the Doctor to the Krotons and Daleks.
    Ooh haven’t heard that triumph cue for a little while. And Rob’s Time Watch makes another appearance. Continuity triumphs again

Like the Doctor damning Rob with faint praise (although what *is* the Doctor’s problem is this something as yet to be revealed I wonder?!)

Ooh this business with Nick being injured and left behind is a bit upsetting.

Last line Choo’dar said to Rob before running offwas a bit faint unfortunately.

Choo being in the TARDIS is a nice surprise except…”what’s wrong?”

“No Rob it’s the only way!” Gosh the Doctor can be hard sometimes.

Sorry what just happened? Did everyone just get exterminated. Like how this ending keeps the audience on their toes.

She defeated the Daleks and saved Rob … with love

Oh stop it now, I’m almost crying. Really great emotional ending to this one.

"No but I will be...in time." Great line.

I haven't said much in my notes about the post-production mainly because this another release where I've been carried through by the story and the great dialogue but the Daleks and Krotons and the very visual settings are all extremely well realised and some lovely use of subtle music throughout which complements well.

Tough one to score but I think we'll go for 8.5/10
    Last edited by Richard Brinck-Johnsen; 6th Dec 2011 at 11:43 AM.

2.5A Enjoy Your Shoes

Like the creepy opening.

The discussion about hate and love is very well written.

“You wish to procreate with the Doctor?”

Like Rob’s speech just before the flashback. Certainly strikes a chord about having a rubbish job.

Love Rob’s boss calling him John. What a ******!

Oh yes, the first mention of the Autons being involved with Rob's first meeting with the Doctor, hope this gets elaborated on at some stage I can’t help imagining Jackie and Rose Tyler lying dead in a shopping arcade.

Love the flashbacks of Echoes of the Protii and The Christmas Gnomes.

This is a familiar music cue when the Dalek outlines its plans for universal domination.
    And again nice music choice during the discussion about freedom.

Like the Dalek attempting to trick Rob by getting him to shoot it.
    Like the Dalek’s honesty when Rob reveals he knows the Dalek just wants to be rejuvenated at any cost.
    “You have a cunning worthy of the Daleks”. Indeed. Rob is clearly not to be underestimated.

Like this piano music when the Dalek starts up with the “exterminate” chant and switches to “Enjoy your shoes!”

Overall I have a soft spot for this little vignette, I think Steve and Wayne's performances are great throughout and the post prod is very nice done so...

8/10

I like Ant's northern accent. We told him to do something different for this story and he stunned us with that.

My all time favourite line in a PS audio is on this one: "Oh no! They got Fnub!". I don't know why but it always makes me laugh!

The production is just excellent on this. Si did such a brill job making the planet sound all alien-y and cystally and the battles still sound epic!

2.6 Many Happy Returns

In this special story recorded a surprise present for PS Audios producer Si Hunt, Nick and Rob attempt to give the Doctor a birthday surprise of his own with hilarious and fan-pleasing consequences...

Secondary control room. Nice.

Clear Waters and “I didn’t enjoy those shoes it’s true!” Nice referencing.

“And lots of éclairs I see!” “Why do you always do that?” Lovely.

Like Ed getting a mention as he wasn’t able to be in this story in person.

“I do like a good cuppa” – you do surprise me Doctor.

Simon and Garfunkel – yay!

Love the sound effects.

“Oh my!... Well, well, well!” – surely it can only be…

Evil from the dawn of time.
    Something worse than Mick Hucknall, that’s hard to imagine!

“That’s Vera Christmas sunny!”

Craig is almost creepy with his hero worship. Love how Nick is totally unimpressed.

Yay! “The Baron of Boralis demands to know where he is!”

Love him turning down Vera’s suggestion of a kiss flat.

Another character played by Si Hart. Well I never

Ben from Keepsake! Hooray!

Rudolph. Hello Tim!

Love the Doctor’s “oh no!” on seeing Vera.

Love Vera’s “Haarumph!”

Triumph cue

Love all the Happy Birthdays at the end… and especially...

And a Happy Birthday to all of you at home!

Another one that's hard to score as it's not intended as a serious adventure (although I believe the Baron makes a later reference to it so it *is* canonical) but I'll go for 7.5/10

what *is* the Doctor’s problem is this something as yet to be revealed I wonder?!
    I think he just doesn't like Rob very much!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I like Ant's northern accent. We told him to do something different for this story and he stunned us with that.
    Well I'd assumed someone must've liked it otherwise it wouldn't have been in the finished play and to be fair once I'd got over the initial reaction it wasn't too bad and I stand by my comment that the character was well played overrall but when I first hear it, it does jar bearing in mind I've listened to a lot of these plays featuring genuine northern accents in recent times.
    I suspect also it's one of those things that maybe sounds better when you're hearing it live. Recordings tend to bring out the natural inflections of the real voice underneath. I suspect that's the reason I frequently get away with appalling American accents on stage.

Great reviews!

I'm not sure it counts as canonical. That would mean Ben came back - and we all know the Universe will explode if that happens!

Si.

Great reviews!

I'm not sure it counts as canonical. That would mean Ben came back - and we all know the Universe will explode if that happens!

Si.
    I was trying to play the "I haven't listened to Blood Money yet" game with that comment but I'm sure the Baron refers to having enjoyed the Doctor's birthday party when they next meet.
    I hope you're just being facetious about Ben's return.

Of course it's canonical and of course the universe ended. This is the big party afterwards!

Poor Fnub! I liked him so rather sad at him being the first to be killed.
    He'll be back - in the (very) short story "Die Fnub, Die!"
    Ooh this business with Nick being injured and left behind is a bit upsetting.
    He'll be fine, thanks to the help of an old woman.
    Like Rob’s speech just before the flashback. Certainly strikes a chord about having a rubbish job.
    I think Si was venting some long-held aggrievances when he wrote 'Enjoy Your Shoes'.
    Rob is clearly not to be underestimated.

“And lots of éclairs I see!” “Why do you always do that?” Lovely.
    Well, you've got to keep it fresh haven't you?
    Yay! “The Baron of Boralis demands to know where he is!”
    In a massive 'Actor Availability Failure' schism.
    Basically the last story was a 'Get everyone back in to do their line' kind of adventure, but it managed to still be quite good fun! And just about coherent too...
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

"Many Happy Returns" is canonical but we do seem to be cursed with bringing Ben back. First of all there was the infamous lost story with him in, then I'm sure I wrote another one with him in (something involving a conspiracy around a music store which for some reason never got made. I wonder what happened to that!) but he just dooms any script to never be made. Maybe there's still time for him to come back though.

Si.

"Many Happy Returns" is canonical but we do seem to be cursed with bringing Ben back. First of all there was the infamous lost story with him in, then I'm sure I wrote another one with him in (something involving a conspiracy around a music store which for some reason never got made. I wonder what happened to that!) but he just dooms any script to never be made. Maybe there's still time for him to come back though.
    I'm going to send you a PM on this subject Si.

Yay! RBJ PM's are always a very good thing indeed.

Si.