Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default PS Audios Season 2: Rate and Review!

A thread for rating and reviewing the second season of Planet Skaro audios released during 2008.

The stories are:

2.1 Heart of the Haniad
    2.2 Heist
    2.3 The Paradise Machine
    2.4 The Curse of Ratanapura
    2.4A Tea With The Trods
    2.5 Eye of the Daleks
    2.5A Enjoy Your Shoes
    2.6 Many Happy Returns
    2.7 Christmas Spirits
    2.7A Ezra's Knock

2.1 - Heart of the Haniad

And so the second season of adventures begins with the Doctor now travelling alone having apparently left Nick and Rob behind on the Planet Florana only to experience a temporal disturbance which leaves the TARDIS inoperable and the Doctor stranded on board a Flying Fiat Marvel with a somewhat disgrunted pilot by the name of Edward Bradley...

Can I start by saying I approve of the new two episode format which was originally tried out with Keepsake in the previous season. This is a nice easy to listen to length clocking in at just shy of 41 minutes.

The overall story is nicely contained justifies its shortness with a nice contained feel and only six characters (yes I am counting Si Hart's computer voice as it was one of my personal highlights). I really liked the opening Haniad soundscape morphing into the TARDIS crash landing from Time and the Rani morphing into brief 80s jazz music. After the extremely musical Christmas Gnomes it adds nicely to the stripped down feel of this story not having much in the way of music.

A quick character breakdown:

The Doctor- Freed from the avuncular role he's had in recent times he seems to relish the prospect of new adventures and his attitude towards Ed is noticeably different such as his insincere apology. It's interesting to see the harder side of his character which was hinted at in the "Rob's a fool" scene in Magical History Tour resurface a little more strongly. Paul certainly responds to this with great versatility.

Ed - despite being prone to see the down side of virtually everything that happens and be generally rather selfish and at times cowardly, Ed is somehow at once a very sympathetic and believable character. I can only credit this to Martin Penny's performance which brings with it a warmth and humour that makes you almost root for Ed rather than the Doctor. His instant dislike for the "alien nut job" whose arrival in a "magical police portaloo" pretty much wrecks his chances of ever sorting things out with his girlfriend is fairly understandable however the gradual thawing of this relationship runs through the core of this play.

Uxan- Surely there are not enough words to describe P-Bal's performance as Uxan. On a serious note I am glad he decided against playing the character in the style of Sarah Sutton. His harsh treatment of Grexos is very well played and pays off nicely in the denouement of which more later.

Grexos - Love this performance by David Barnes. Nicely understated so that when the reveal comes that there is an element of Burns/Smithers about his relationship to "Uxan Sir" it comes as a pleasant surprise. The scene where he has the Doctor and Ed at cannon point is great.

Computer Voice - Love the "Alert! Alert!"s at the beginning and just the whole attitude this particular voice has. Glad to see it's a returning character.

Chi-Haniad - Another great performance from Pip. Especially the last scene where he kills Grexos and gives Ed the seedling.

General Notes-

Good choice of referencing by dumping Rob and Nick on Florana as mentioned in Death to the Daleks, although I was slightly surprised the Doctor was so willing to leave them "for a few years" considering he's raised Nick from an egg.
    Tick for Sparkle Tribe mention.
    Even though I'm so not a cars person (I had to check the spelling of Marvel)
    I like the idea of the car ships.
    There's some business towards the end of Part 1 and start of Part 2 where a grapple is mentioned. Somehow I didn't quite follow this. Perhaps I just need a relisten though.
    Like Ed's "don't think it's pay and display" line.
    The Chi-Haniad has a nice line to Ed which goes "There is a brightness in you, you are not without hope." At least I think that was it but the second part of it was a little unclear.
    Tick for CWAS getting another mention.
    Love "What is WHSmith?"
    I don't think changing the line to "I feel queer" worked. Sorry P.
    The Doctor's suggestion as to how Ed should kill Uxan rather just leaving him is quite chilling but the actual intention behind the menace is well played.
    As I said before Uxan and Grexos revealing their true feelings for each other at the last was lovely... aaahhh!
    Love the occasional music cues in those last scenes. Oh and is that the Incredible Hulk theme making a brief appearance?
    Love Ed's to do list especially "show alien nut job around home town."
    And finally sorry Steve but "Tree-mendous" gets an "oh dear" from me although I still laughed through my groan

I'm going to try and mark this season a little more fairly so... 7.5/10

Surely there are not enough words to describe P-Bal's performance as Uxan.
    As he said on the way to the recording 'This could be the new Timelash!'

This is by far and away the most straightforward story I've written. Which was great! Everything proceeds along sensible, slightly predictable lines once the premise has been set up.

Sorry about the 'Grapple' bit. The story was very 'visual' rather than 'audio' and that's something I find hard to break away from, so I'm always teetering on giving too much or too little explanation in the dialogue.

Some people didn't like the 'WH Smiths' joke, but they liked the 'Tree-mendous!' gag! So, apparently humour is subjective.

One thing that I find interesting is that I'm sure everyone who's heard this story would visualise the Tree and the Chi-Haniad completely differently. As I'm not artist, I couldn't draw what I think it looks like but it's very clear in my head. But everyone else would picture it differently too, I'm sure.

I always liked playing the computer voice (or Voice of the Future as Si always called it). "You have an incoming communication!"

I always say tremendous as "Tree-mendous" now, that line must pop into my head at least once a day!

Well that's no worse than me adopting "Hugger mugger fugger and bugger" I suppose.

I regret to say that as I've spent the last couple of hours bouncing up and down with excitement like Tigger my reviews will now not be appearing until tomorrow.

We can wait!

Bounce!

Ha! Glad you're excited Richard

2.2-Heist

Sometime after the conclusion of Heart of the Haniad, Ed is stuck in the middle of a muddy field freezing his tits off whilst the Doctor appears to be on a dinner date...

I guess the main reason I've been putting off writing this review is that I want to do this play justice as it is another particular favourite of mine. The larger than life characters are very well drawn and the use of music to create particular scenes is also very well done so we instantly know when we back in the Doctor's hotel room or in the restaurant or in Zunestra's treasure vault (a nice steal from The Ribos Operation on that one).

Some characterisation comments:
    Despite having had the TARDIS stolen it's nice that the Doctor really seems to be enjoying himself throughout this story. Also his teasing of Ed ("Who'd have thought avocado green was your colour.") and seeming ability to read his young friend like a book ("You've not had too many relationships have you?""How rude! How did you know?") is a nice extension of the rapport they built up in the previous story. As I said last time very different to the avuncular relationship with Rob and Nick and relishing the chance to play the show-off.
    Ed on the other hand whilst bemoaning having thrown his lot in with the Doctor and questioning his pursuit of an old wooden box seems to have accepted his fate to be used and abused by his new travelling companion. On the other hand he does seem to relish the opportunity to go undercover despite coming up with the most unconvincing pseudonym ever to go with his dodgy East European accent. The chemistry between Martin and Paul in this play is very natural and extremely fun to listen to and they both respond well to the opportunities to spar verbally with each other and I was very glad that their travels together will continue beyond the ending of this play after the brief suggestion that Ed might abandon the Doctor in pursuit of his own interests (although this seemed perfectly consistent with the little we know of Ed).
    Jann Cordelis is played with great verve by Kathy. The early hints that this alleged member of the Norombran royal family has a more sinister agenda than she initially lets on are nicely underplayed but then later there are real sparks flying during the scenes when she confronts Zunestra.
    Speaking of Byron Zunestra, I am extremely impressed by Mike Talks' performance as the Bond-style legitimate businessman. In the first episode his threatening manner is particularly understated so that his crescendo at the episode one cliffhanger ("very very dead") is genuinely menacing and so very Bond villain-esque.
    I have to say I also really liked Si Hunt's portrayal of Ridgeway and Andrew's efficient Administrator and Alex as his assistant also deserves a mention.
    The cameos by regulars Si, Steve ("what a ponse we've got a right one here lads!") and Dave as the waiter.

And on to the general comments (this could take a while)...

The Doctor and Jann make a great couple.
    Love Ed's monologue at the top of episode one.
    Great use of Rachmaninov during the Doctor's first encounter with Zunestra.
    Love Jann's somewhat mysterious appearance in the Doctor's room. Despite her assurances that it's just a business arrangement there's a very sexy feel to scene once she appears and I find myself imagining that she's just stepped out the bathroom in a robe (maybe her shower wasn't working!)
    Like the reveal that Ed is a demon coffee-maker (seemingly even putting Ianto Jones to shame!) and the cheeky music cue that follows it.
    At the risk of repeating love the ending of episode one.
    Love the 80s music on the pre-credits recap at the start of episode two and both instances of the same cue reappearing during several scenes.
    Like Jann hinting at her true colours leading the Doctor to spot an inconsistency in her story.
    Like the Doctor's paraphrase of Rassilon from The Five Doctors.
    Great use of Gershwin in the scene between the Doctor and Jann.
    Rather exciting hint that Ed's up to something the Doctor doesn't know about.
    Like the Mrs Bradley Mysteries theme at the party.
    A Mickey Finn in the coffee! Tut, tut, Ed!
    Like Zunestra's vicious turn when he learns Jann's true identity ("that grubby little bitch!")
    Jann's reveal of her true intentions in the vault is great.
    I wasn't entirely convinced by Ed and Jann's sloppy kisses until this morning a couple on the Central Line kindly recreated the moment right in front of me on a crowded carriage!
    Adore the business of Ed having apparently betrayed the Doctor then turning the tables on Jann.
    Interesting that Ed pockets the pendant. Wonder if that'll get another mention?
    So glad the Doctor didn't leave Ed behind and love the "Whaaaat" when the TARDIS reappears.
    Finally, love the use of the Hustle theme when Ed is being shown on board the TARDIS.

9/10

Thanks Richard!

Do you know, I've never considered that the way Jann saunters into the Doctor's hotel room could be construed as sexy or mysterious! It's always been purely innocent in my mind, but who knows... maybe that's why the Doctor is in such a playful mood throughout this one!

I'm still stunned by the reaction to this play you know. It makes me smile everytime someone says something nice about it

Oh and thanks for noticing the music. That was something I worked really hard on. I think it's important to give each story its own mood and identity and I knew exactly how I wanted this one to sound. It's one of the things I really love about making these plays, sleceting just the right music for them (and sometimes it's very stressful finding the right bit for the right moment) but I genuinely love doing that stuff. I know some of the others who work on them really don't enjoy it as much as I do!

I think good music choice makes such a difference as the wrong choices can end up spoiling an otherwise good play. The most obvious example I can think of being Big Finish's The Haunting of Thomas Brewster which is almost ruined by a particularly poorly realised recurring music cue.

Just to confirm I will be returning to Martin Penny's writing debut The Paradise Machine featuring the eagerly anticipated return of Nick and Rob very soon but my next reviews (which will appear in the existing threads devoted to each story) will be the Season three's Edward Bradley adventures The Hand of Peace and The Wealth of Craytians
    Last edited by Richard Brinck-Johnsen; 27th Oct 2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: grammar

Ahh- are you covering the stories in chronological order then Richard?

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I am indeed so next up to relisten to will be Once Upon A Time Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I've never heard of such madness!

Glad you enjoyed Heist! Richard, it's probably my favourite of the audio's we've recorded, and one of the few, I think, where pretty much everybody was there - so you had the benefit of being terrified by Byron Zunestra in person!

I actually had a re-listen to this myself during the week. Somehow, I always forget the twist with Si Hunt's character!

Its a great story and was really fun to do. I always have loads of fun doing audios with Martin and it was great to play a different side to the Doctor as well.

I would like to state though that Mike (lovely big teddy bear that he really is!) is quite the scariest villain to act along side. He was bloody terrifying, not to mention the fact that he boomed his lines from about a metre away from the microphone. Brilliant.

I do remember Mike having to take a few steps back from the mic when recording his lines because he kept bellowing really loudly- especially on the cliffhanger line where we encouraged him to play it as big as possible

We didn't end up 'Very VERY DEAD' thankfully, but Mike did move to New Zealand fairly soon after Although I'm sure we could pick up his voice on the mic if he shouted loud enough

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    We didn't end up 'Very VERY DEAD' thankfully, but Mike did move to New Zealand fairly soon after Although I'm sure we could pick up his voice on the mic if he shouted loud enough
    Another one of those questions I was slightly too embarassed to ask
    I sort of guessed Mike Talks must be WhiteCrow Mike but yet another case of the character being totally unlike the actor playing them.
    Very well done again

2.3 The Paradise Machine

By way of a diversion into seasons three and four to take in the remainder of Edward Bradley's adventures we now return to season two. Having been dropped off on Florana shortly after the end of season one Nick and Rob have been picked up on Peladon and are back aboard the TARDIS although the Doctor is clearly still missing Ed (as well he might as those who've heard Sting of the Time Bees will appreciate!)
    Martin Penny's debut as a writer brings with it a host of colourful characters and marks the start of a still ongoing story arc featuring the unethical actions of the Galactic Bank headed by the sinister Tor Garane!
    As such this play makes quite a good jumping on point for anyone reading this who's not heard any of the plays yet. (download or stream live from here)

There are two versions of this story available to listen to, The original and the extended director's cut. The majority of this review will focus on the two part original version with some additional comments on the extended version to follow.

To start with I really like the opening sequence with scene mostly set by music with just Kathy's almost ethereal sounding computer scene to confirm the location.
    I’d forgotten how wonderfully matter of fact Nick can be and its really great to here Dave and Steve together again after what seems like an age (if we pretend they didn't cameo at the end of The Wealth of Craytians)
    “Why do we only ever visit space stations with gay names?”
    That mark four droids are very well realised FX wise even if they are vaguely reminiscent of something else.
    The Beckham Nebula – nice!
    The Doctor has some very nice scenes with Mills the security chief who is very well played by Ant Cox.
    Again love the almost sinister tones of the computer voice.
    Love Steve's delivery of “This jacket is a goochee!” and Nick's delightfully
    bitchy response “in a world where Gucci owns Primark."

And then it's the moment history is made...
    “Sir I am the Baron of Boralis…” – Oh yes you are, good for you, Baron
    Martin is to be applauded for creating this larger than life character, played so perfectly by Pip Madeley. He doesn't have that much to do in this play but he does have some wonderful lines and would go on to become the Edward Cory of Planet Skaro Audios featuring as the main character in the Doctor and companion less season three opener A Baron For All Seasons!
    I could happily listen to Pip saying "The Baron is satisfied" and "Quiet cretin!" all day.

Next Controller Leckard the principal villain for this play comes into his own as we have our first encounter with the eponymous Paradise Machine.
    Love his description of “The too small trousers and vacant look on your face” – it can only be Rob McCow!
    Perfect delivery from Alex of “Activate The Paradise Machine!” – love it, great music and FX added really help sell the moment.

And so we have our first fantasy sequence of the play inside the strange world of Rob McCow's mind: I love how spaced out Steve suddenly sounds.
    "One of those lost made up ones we've never had" lovely knowing line from the Doctor there.
    “The Nimon!” are very well played by Mr Barnes here and hooray for the return of Linda McCow.
    Oh and the Nimon have captured Emma Bonham! I almost didn't recognise her she was so fleeting.
    Love the imagined Doctor being useless.
    Love Rob's goobledegook speech about the Sonic do-hickey and the neutronington flowmewotsit!
    Love Rob “defeating the Nimon” and Triumph cue.

Professor Thrace is very well played by Si Hart. I like Professor’s full description of the machine – “Pleasure-ribulating” eh?

Sadly the poor Professor has an unfortunate encounter with that Controller.
    He is a very bad man! The scene is very nicely played by Alex as is the subsequent scene when he attempts to pin the crime on the Doctor.

“Controller Leckard are we still on schedule..” History is made again as Tor Garane intervenes and saves the Doctor. Love the sinister threat of him doing "something unkind" to Leckard.

Paul and Martin play the Doctor and Garane's first meeting very well. Garane is very well informed about the Doctor. Very interesting.
    Love the reveals of exactly how ruthless and unethical the Galactic Bank really are.
    “I want to offer you a job” (hello, is that the home alone theme from The Christmas Gnomes?)
    Love Garane's final threat against Rob and Nick.
    “See that he comes to some harm” and that laugh – just brilliant!
    “Sometimes even a Time Lord’s luck runs out” – lovely cliffhanger. Very Caves of Androzani.

Hooray for Mills coming to the rescue.
    Gosh that Controller is a devious sort.
    Like the reveal that Mills is working for the Earth Intelligence Agency to spy on Leckard and Garane.

Love the scene of Nick being forced into the machine. Alex, Steve and Dave are all great in it.

And so to Nick's ultimate fantasy:
    We're back on the set of "Clear Wa-ters!" and hooray for the return of June River!

Love the contrast of the Doctor's assertion that “Nick’s not like that…” with Nick's rather saucy fantasy.
    Like the reveal that Nick is still in a fantasy. Rather shocking that Nick appears to fall to his death.

Oh I love Garane's laugh and I love Rob's speech provoking the controller into giving Rob a bitch-slap! Delightfully camp "ow!" afterwards.
    Oh Nick's safe apparently, that was a bit throw away.

Like the Doctor taking charge to expose the truth behind the Paradise Machine.
    Good to hear the Baron demanding proof.
    Nick suddenly reappears with still no explanation as to how he escaped.
    Like the machine revealing Leckard's memories of recent crimes.
    Love "The Baron is appalled!"

Nice music cue after Leckard meet his fate.

Like Tor Garane getting away with his involvement and letting Leckard take the whole blame.
    "I'm sure we shall meet again Doctor..." hooray!
    Like the farewell to Mills.
    Glad we finally get an explanation of Nick’s rescue. “And a very big scare I see”. Love it.

Like the Doctor starting to talk about how great Ed was (well he was I'm afraid guys ) to the Rob and Nick much to their obvious chagrin.

Like Nick storming off into the TARDIS and Rob telling the Doctor off for always mocking them.

Interesting cliffhanger ending. Rather sinister and love that time ring noise but why do I smell a rat(anapura)?

Now for some additional comments on the extended version:

Again like this opening and love hearing the Doctor, Nick and Rob back together again.
    Dialogue between the Doctor and Mills seems slightly longer?
    Like the extended Tintin reference.
    More added Doctor and Mills dialogue.
    Oh dear, the Doctor’s being rude about Rob again. Not sure I like that.
    Nick and Rob telling Leckard about the TARDIS, maybe the Doctor had a point after all.
    I could listen to the first demonstration scene all day.
    Love the shock reaction to the Doctor’s question about “bodily functions”.
    “Activate the paradise machine” does have the right feel for a cliffhanger moment even if the result is a shorter first episode.

Nimon has more dialogue as does the wonderful Linda McCow and Emma gets more a chance to establish her presence as well.
    Phew! I thought Rob was about to have a really embarrassing sexual fantasy for a moment there. I worry about that boy, a “strange young man” indeed!

Did the Doctor just have an extra sermon about fame and wealth there?
    A little more Professor Thrace dialogue. Good stuff.
    Very short extra scene between Mills and Nick & Rob – I’d better not make an single word abbreviation of those two names!

Some noticeable differences and additions in the scene of the Doctor meeting Tor Garane. The Doctor has a different opening gambit to Garane in this version I believe. Still a great scene, especially the threat against Nick before the denouement of the episode.

More added dialogue between the Doctor and Mills?

Extended scene between Leckard and Nick & Rob.

Nick sky diving into infinity – another nice cliffhanger moment.

Oh dear a couple of scenes from episode 1 seem to have found their way into episode 4 on the website. I will update this thread once this mistake has been corrected in the meantime the end of the play is pretty much the same as the end of episode 2 of the original version.

Still something fishy going on with that cliffhanger.

Overall Mr Penny's first play as writer is a worthy addition to the PS Canon and Si Hunt has worked his usual magic with the post-production.

8/10
    Last edited by Richard Brinck-Johnsen; 1st Dec 2011 at 11:35 PM.

Yay! Glad you enjoyed it, Richard.

I do remember this story prompted the start of the 'Rob Backlash' amongst some areas of fandom. Lots of people saying that they preferred Nick and that Rob was a bit too silly. Though I think 'Eye of The Daleks' goes some way to remedy this... eventually!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Huzzah! Glad you enjoyed this one Richard!

I'm not as keen on it as I used to be, but that's only because it was my first script and I spot all the things I would do differently if I was writing it now. I think it holds up well though, and everyone puts in a great performance, especially Alex as the show stealing Leckard - he made all his crazy, over the top dialogue sound amazing.

And Pip does a great job with the little I gave him as THE BARON. In fact, I'm really proud of the Baron's character in general, he's a bit of a pompous arse here, but you can see at the end, when he's the only person who believes the Doctor, that he's a good man.

And glad you enjoyed Tor Garane's laugh! He sounds a bit different here than he does later (a bit more raspy, hissy). My general approach to playing him after this story was to make him sound like he was always on the verge of hysterical laughter.

I thought there was something different here but hadn't quite put my finger on it.

I've just edited a couple of the duplicate remarks I inadvertently copied and pasted in from my original notes. If I'm going to copy and paste and then make additions I must remember proof read properly before I post so sorry about that!

I remember Alex making me laugh when we photographed the cover.

2.4 The Curse of Ratanapura

Last time the Doctor, Nick and Rob narrowly escaped after a surprising reveal by Nick that the TARDIS had been apparently invaded by Daleks.
    Apparently this was just a joke on Nick and Rob's part but the result is the three travellers struggling to get back to ship after being stuck on the planet Mogodor.

(Once again I've opted for live commentary format as it seems silly to waste too much time reviewing the plot and post production in great detail if Pip won't get to read it. Anyone who's not heard the play can listen to it here)

Like how this opening sounds like a cross between Robin Hood and Sherlock Holmes in space.

Recall the TARDIS? How’d he manage that.

“Whip out your time ring” That’s a suggestive image!

The Time-Space telegraph. How interesting.

Nice piece of melodramatic music for Carrington castle.

Tim makes a very good butler.

Wincey vs. Anne – The Breakfast TV debate rages on... but someone should tell the Doctor that Lorraine Kelly didn’t become the main presenter of Good Morning Britain until 1990.

Comedy trumpet after “A wonderful stuffed bear I see” – oh dear that was a bit unnecessary.

Like Rob pretending to be posh when speaking to Barrington.

Dave Taylor and Ashley make very convincing nobles.

Like the music cue after the reveal of the Ratanapura diamond.

OK, now that blimey was a just a little too long Steve!

Like the flashback to 1799! Especially the music during the gambling match.

Interesting that the Doctor corrects himself after referring to Lady Carrington as Rosalind.

Love Rob’s faux poshness on “…the special guest is a ghost!”

Nick is quite clever with his observations during the scene in his and Rob’s room.

Slightly too long scene gap between Nick’s plan to steal the diamond for safe keeping and the confrontation between Barrington and Rusty. Very well played scene by Alex and Ashley by the way.

Like Barrington being haunted by Sir Bobby.

“I’ve never been in a lady’s private chambers before!” “You do surprise me!”

Interesting conversation between Nick and Rob about whether the ghost is real. Not something projected by 19th century technology to be sure. A clue there perhaps

Clearly quite a few layers to this whodunit plot.

“I think somebody’s just been murdered!” A little bit predictable but well done with the accompanying cue anyway.

Love the image of the Doctor wearing the amusing boobies apron around the TARDIS.

Nice alternative pre-gunshot scene. I kind of feel the pre-credits scene with the Doctor and Rosalind should’ve been included in episode 1.

A stiff one in the drawing room- naughty.

Love the Simpsons style flashback to the Doctor and Rosalind’s travels together. Very cute aliens Alex.

Shame about the recording quality of Rosalind's lines as it undermines a lovely performance from Ali. A very worthy PS acting debut. Definitely gets an RBJ nomination for best newcomer.

The Doctor asks for the telegraph back. How sad, but very well played by Paul.

“Where’s the shitter?”
    “I suggest you go now before it’s too late, for all of us!” Love it.

“Oh great so we’re trapped”. Just love how mocking Rob is.

Ooh have I just spotted the Friday the 13th soundtrack in the background!

Barrington stole the diamond. Well that was a bit obvious wasn’t it?

Lovely death from Mr Taylor in that flashback.

Oh and Tim the butler was an accomplice! And like him turning the tables on Barrington. Nice shock moment when he starts shooting.

“Why do I get slapped in every single adventure we have?!” – Love it.

Like the Doctor’s reveal about the ghost.
    “hysterical screaming, weeping and soiling myself” – Poor Rob!

Like the Doctor storming out on Rosalind.
    Also like Nick and Rob staying behind to help Marwood.

I never forget my old companions – lovely speech.

Rob needs to work on his singing

Quite right Doctor, New Year’s Eve is overrated.

Like the suggestion that Rosalind may have found redemption even though she’s too late to apologise to the Doctor.

We conclude with an intriguing (although possibly unnecessary) next time trailer.

Overall 7.5/10

2.4A Tea with the Trods

Written and read by Steve Alexander and also available to listen to live or download on The Curse of Ratanapura page, this is a nice little short story set during a much earlier time in the Doctor's life when he was travelling with the younger version of Rosalind Carrington from the aforementioned play.
    After initially sounding slightly haughtier than Paul Monk usually does as the Doctor, Steve settles well into both characters. His Roy Skelton like voice for the Trods is particularly amusing as is the regional accent employed by the Trods' accomplice Henry Erinsborough (and yes I liked the choice of name as well ). The occasional uses of sound effects are well judged.
    The playful last line is an amusing pun on the story title and really sounds like something that Paul's Doctor would say.

7/10

I am possibly the only person who hates the shitter line, but I've learnt to accept that everyone else likes it.

I don't know this one as well as I should really. It's one of the only ones I had nothing to do with. I think it's nice story let down a bit by the production. It's never really grabbed me.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.