Default Public Sector Pensions

I see that the ballot on strike action is expected from UNISON tomorrow. That's the Union I'm in. Looks like I could be out on strike for the first time in my life. And I'll only be 2 weeks into my new job as well. Interesting times ahead......

Have you paid anything into your pension scheme yet?!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

We're waiting to see here how many of my colleagues go out on strike... I'm not a member of the union, but keep thinking perhaps I ought to be...

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Have you paid anything into your pension scheme yet?!
    Yep paid 13 years into it. Only another 27 years before I can retire on half pay. Hardly gold-plated. PLUS - the NHS pension scheme was £2 billion in surplus last year (which went back to the Treasury). Don't get me started!!!

<government spokesperson>

Quite frankly, in these times of economic hardship, these people should be happy that they have a job / are alive / don't live on the streets / weren't sent down t'pit at age 8 (delete as appropriate).
    Anyway , I'm off to fiddle my expenses and start spending the vast sums I get when I (a) lose my seat and (b) retire

</ government spokesperson>

Bazinga !

I was a member of PCS, union for 20 years and quite honestly I'm glad to be out of it - had I still been a member I would almost certainly have voted for strike action. I heard one government minister on BBC Radio Berks think it was one of the MP's for Reading) talking the usual B.S and critisizing the unions. Of course it'ts easy for them after all they get a nice gold plated pension when they retire so they don't give a toss about anybody else.

The government appear to be doing exactly what Bob Maxwell was doing 20 years ago - robbing from pension schemes to fill black holes in the finances. But in this case, they have a compliant press who are happy to back them up, and make out that it's greedy public sector workers ripping off hardworking taxpayers.

I don't suppose the strikes will do a lot of good, but it's good to see we're not taking it lying down.