Default Big Finish via Audible

I've recently listened to a couple of the more recent Big Finish audios and have quite enjoyed them but I really can't justify spending £15 on the cd. Even the downloads are quite pricey.
    Is there any reason why Big Finish don't make their plays available via Audible? That would be better for me as I already have an existing subscription and that would enable me to experiment with Big Finish audios more. I might be tempted to listen to more of the spin offs as well because with teh audible subscription I could do that.
    Perhaps the business model wouldn't be profitable for Big Finish to do this. I just don't know. But it would give them greater exposure because like me there would be loads of other Audible subscribers willing to try things on a whim.

I've been trying to switch over to just getting downloads myself but as you quite rightly point out they're not cheap for UK customers (I think they may offer a slightly more competitive rate to international customers though?)
    I'm not sure about audible which is certainly something I'd be more interested in if my audio budget didn't all end up going to Big Finish but I suspect it's the same reason they don't sell on itunes which is that BF wouldn't recoup enough from the sales to justify it and they rely on their sales revenue to fund future productions.
    Unfortunately the end result remains that they are an expensive product and with the best will in the world no one is going to enjoy every single play they listen to (although I have a pretty high ratio of like:dislike ).

The cheapest way to get titles is still Play or ebay I find. Obviously you need to set a limit on ebay stuff. I've not looked on Amazon for some reason.

There was something related to this recently that i read, where they were explainging why the first series of Companion Chronicles weren't available for download. Basically they've had renegotiate all their contracts with the stars and all the other contributors over the last few years just to get the go ahead to make their early plays available for download on their own site. That can't have been cheap to do (and one of the people involved in the first CC series refused even that). So to make them available for downlaod elsewhere may need more contract changes, therefore becoming more expensive and thus not cost effective.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Some of the second hand sellers on amazon can offer competitive prices but in general buying the CDs from other sources is not as cheap as it was a couple of years ago which is another reason (aside from the obvious space issue when I have hundreds of CDs) I'm keen to go for downloads.

I just don't think they could afford to. To be honest, I find subscription to be the cheapest way of buying them. I know you have to fork out initially, but £70 for 6 CD's is only £11.60p each which isn't that bad - prices generally have gone up an awful lot in recent years, so that's like a round of drinks or three meals - plus you get an extra CD at Christmas and scripts/downloads into the bargain, plus you're helping them keep going as subscriber fees literally pay for them to make new ranges in advance, as I understand it.

Si.

Well I've just heard on the radio that the Government is now going to close the loop hole that allows companies like Amazon, Tesco & Play sell without paying V.A.T. No news when though AFAIK.
    So yes, it looks like subscription is now the most cost effective way to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    There was something related to this recently that i read, where they were explainging why the first series of Companion Chronicles weren't available for download. Basically they've had renegotiate all their contracts with the stars and all the other contributors over the last few years just to get the go ahead to make their early plays available for download on their own site. That can't have been cheap to do (and one of the people involved in the first CC series refused even that). So to make them available for downlaod elsewhere may need more contract changes, therefore becoming more expensive and thus not cost effective.
    I think I might know who that was and why they would've refused to sign a new contract but that's not a public domain discussion.

Oh. How... intriguing...

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

that's not a public domain discussion.
    Private message then.

Si.

Sounds like a PS meet discussion.

I think that would be for the best.

Moving back on topic I agree that the subscription prices for the main range are still pretty reasonable when one considers they've been the same for a number of years now however I'd still like to see more of a discount on downloads of one off purchases such as the Jago and Litefoot boxsets.

The problem I have with the subscription is that on a modest budget £70 IS a lot to fork out up front, plus don't you subscribe to a run of them? I'd prefer to be able to pick and choose. Perhaps they should be a bit more flexible with they subs deals and perhaps have a download only subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    The problem I have with the subscription is that on a modest budget £70 IS a lot to fork out up front, plus don't you subscribe to a run of them? I'd prefer to be able to pick and choose. Perhaps they should be a bit more flexible with they subs deals and perhaps have a download only subscription.
    You can get six consecutive downloads for £60 and 12 for £115 but still it is a lot to fork out up front. I'd certainly like to be able to get a subscription to the individual trios / mini-seasons.

I think at the end of the day if they gave reduced rates for ANY six stories then there'd be no point in doing it. The idea is to reward people who fork out in advance and commit to the next 6 months. £70 is less than two tanks of petrol these days so I think that's affordable for a lot of people. I've never understood why anyone would get a 12 month subscription though, as it's no cheaper than getting two consecutive 6 monthly ones!

Si.

A 12 month sub gives you the choice of any single disc release free of charge so you do get something extra.

If, like me, you were a bit frustrated at the lack of a pay-monthly subscription why not set up a sub account online (most banks let you do this - Barclays calls them e-savings and links them to your current account) and then have a monthly transfer of £12.64 into that account. That is (((70/6)*13)/12) and means you'll always have the cash to subscribe every 6 or 12 months.

Simple but effective.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

A 12 month sub gives you the choice of any single disc release free of charge so you do get something extra.
    Does it?!? I had no idea!

Where does it say this and how do you select it when you buy?

Si.

Its on the 12 month subs page

Plus! As an extra bonus for choosing a twelve release subscription, you can choose to receive any single-CD currently available from Big Finish (excluding AudioGo titles and Textbook Stuff downloads). The CD must already have been released and be priced at £10.99 or less. This offer can also be used to acquire a copy of The Four Doctors. Once you subscribe and your transaction has been completed, simply email us at sales@bigfinish.com with your selection.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Nice! I'm going for 12 months next time then. I can finally get "Cryptobiosis" without having to buy it.

Si.

I can finally get "Cryptobiosis" without having to buy it.
    A friend of mine, he had a crippling case of Cryptobiosis and he didn't pay much for it either, Fnar.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Nice! I'm going for 12 months next time then. I can finally get "Cryptobiosis" without having to buy it.

Si.
    I believe there's a comments box when you place your order and you can actually put in that which free CD you want.

Thanks Richard!

Si.