Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BF: 2012 Specials - Love and War

The latest DWM confirms that next year Big Finish will be marking the 20th anniversary of the first appearance in print of companion Bernice Summerfield with a full cast audio adaptation of the Virgin New Adventures novel in which the character debuted in 1992, Love and War by Paul Cornell. The novel is being adapted for audio by Jacqueline Rayner who adapted the novels featured in the first series of Benny audios back in 1998 and will star Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred and, of course, Lisa Bowerman as the Doctor, Ace and Bernice respectively.

I've been saying for a while when they run out of Lost Stories they should start doing the New Adventures, in order.

Fantastic! I hope it's a hit and they work their way through them and do more.

Si.

Blimey! Didn't see that coming- that could be kind of cool.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's being released next October to mark the 20th anniversary so I suspect it's planned as a one off but that said leaving aside some of the fannish excesses of the series I wouldn't mind hearing some of the others brought to life. All Consuming Fire and The Dying Days come to mind.

Surely this idea has crossed their minds? And Big Finish arn't renowned for missing a trick.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Surely this idea has crossed their minds? And Big Finish arn't renowned for missing a trick.

Si.
    Well at one point adapting the NAs for audio was considered an absolute no-no but if they're looking at another 10 years with only the first 8 Doctors to play with it might be a logical move plus with most of the novels long since out of print 10 years later they'd reach a whole new audience so maybe...

I really think it's a good idea. And they seem to be hitting on the strategy of stretching themselves as thinly as possible at the moment. I don't mean this as a criticism; but there's loads of ranges now. Profits would seem to be maximised by making as many CD's as possible and hoping people order most of them. There can only be so many Lost Stories to make, and so they'll be looking to fill that gap.

Many people consider Doctor Who to have continued in book form between 1990 and 2005 and I think because of this you'd get the same completists ordering them that went for "Mission to Magnus" when they wouldn't normally buy from Big Finish.

Si.

I'm definitely interested in 'Love and War'. I may even sanction it's purchase.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Blimey!

Isn't that Rob's catchphrase?

I'd certainly be interested in hearing Love & War - it contains one of my favourite ever Who lines, "There is a corner of the Doctor's mind that is forever Benny."

Exciting times!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

They can use the tagline "Too broad and too deep for the small screen - but just small enough to be squeezed onto two CDs"

I wonder if there's any chance of them getting Tom, Lalla and Leeson to do 'The Well Mannered War'?

And I am probably one of the three people on the planet who would like to hear them do 'Transit'.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I wonder if there's any chance of them getting Tom, Lalla and Leeson to do 'The Well Mannered War'?

And I am probably one of the three people on the planet who would like to hear them do 'Transit'.
    The problem is much as Lalla has always said she would happily work with Tom again, Tom has probably got it written into his contract with Big Finish that he doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with his ex-wife which is a shame as I'd love to hear new Season 17A adventures.

On a separate note if they did start thinking about the Missing Adventures I'd love some of Steve Lyons' and the late Craig Hinton's Sixth Doctor novels to be brought to life. How about Dan Stevens as Grant Markham?

Can't they record their parts seperately?

Si.

Isn't L & W the first NA to feature overt "conjugal unpleasantness", as Mr Chumley-Warner would put it ?

And will we get that on audio ?
    Bazinga !

Ace gets laid and leaves the series. At the time I remember it was a relief for everyone.

I don't think it got particularly graphic though.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Can't they record their parts seperately?

Si.
    Possibly but I'm pretty sure Big Finish have had to make some concessions to get Tom onside. If Tom doesn't fall of his perch any time soon it could yet happen in a few years assuming Tom hasn't only agreed to a certain number of series before retiring.
    They certainly seem to be in a rush to get all the releases for the 2013 series he's doing with Mary Tamm recorded so one has to wonder what the position is regarding a possible 2014 series?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Ace gets laid and leaves the series. At the time I remember it was a relief for everyone.

I don't think it got particularly graphic though.
    No I think it was just alluded to after the event. I'm sure it'll be done tastefully on audio given that Sophie's quite a bit older than New Adventures Ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Isn't L & W the first NA to feature overt "conjugal unpleasantness", as Mr Chumley-Warner would put it ?

And will we get that on audio ?
    Nekromanteia featured Erimem getting raped off mic. A bit of romping between Ace and Jan shouldn't present too much of a problem.

By the way- how long until Nekromanteia is in the Time Warp?

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Quote Originally Posted by brandynigma View Post
    Nekromanteia featured Erimem getting raped off mic. A bit of romping between Ace and Jan shouldn't present too much of a problem.

By the way- how long until Nekromanteia is in the Time Warp?

It's up next I believe...

Anyway just to update that "Love and War" has now been recorded:

Recording has now been completed on Doctor Who: Love and War, a full-cast adaptation of Paul Cornell's classic New Adventures novel, featuring the introduction of Professor Bernice Summerfield.

'As one of those around when Benny was first ‘born’ twenty years ago, I’m so excited to be able to help celebrate this anniversary,' says producer and director Gary Russell. 'I’m pretty sure no one, least of all her creator Paul Cornell, expected Benny to capture everyone’s hearts and imaginations as much as she did back in 1992 – the first non-TV companion to be an unqualified success, who has spawned her own series of books and audios. Whatever next? I’m hoping to celebrate her silver jubilee with the Bernice Summerfield action figure, Bernice Summerfield interactive Xbox game and a Lego Benny! Hmmmm, actually, let’s see if we can get those done...'

The story also marks the departure of Ace from the TARDIS and - despite various exits in novels and other media - Love and War will be the first time Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred have shared a leaving scene as the Doctor and Ace!

Joining them on this very special adventure are Lisa Bowerman as Bernice Summerfield (whose adventures without the Doctor continue in next month's Road Trip), James Redmond (Casualty, Hollyoaks), Bernard Holley (Z Cars, Doctor Who's Voice of Axos), Maggie Ollerenshaw (Open All Hours, The House of Eliott), Riona O Connor (Hanna, Richard III), Aysha Kala (Shameless), Ela Gaworzewska, Christopher Allen and James Unsworth.

'As a special treat, we've also recorded an adaptation of Paul Cornell's Prelude to Love and War, as featured in the pages of Doctor Who Magazine,' says producer Scott Handcock. 'Fingers crossed, we'll have it available to download as a podcast to whet everyone's appetites in advance of the official release!'

Love and War is released on double CD and download in October and is available to pre-order

Rather interesting news concerning the impending 20th birthday celebrations for Professor Bernice Summerfield... It all sounds rather reminiscent of something else though

Many Happy Returns for Benny!

When all's said and done it's for a good cause though. Love the everyone but the kitchen sink guest cast (including at least one character back from the dead!):

Bernice Summerfield-Many Happy Returns

I wonder where they got that title and idea from