Default Top 3 / Bottom 3 New Series New Monsters

It's almost a tradition! List your favourite three new series original monsters (not Daleks or Cybermen ) and the ones that you think didn't quite make the grade here....

At the top for me:

1. The Ood. Despite the 'It's a bit ood' jokes, these were succesfully unsettling when they needed to be, yet sympathetic and sad when they were facing destruction at the end of the episode. A great, fairly simple design, with a novel way of killing people. Even better were the lumps of raw meat hanging from their faces!

2. The Clockwork Robots. Although I was thoroughly bored by TGITFP, these were really, deeply cool. They look even cooler as 12" models! This is an example of the design doing the script proud by making them elegant and beautiful, but vicious at the same time.

3. The Raxicoricofalapatorians... I mean the Slitheen. They were only really let down by the poor match between the CGI and the rubber suits, but they had bags of character. The most 'traditional' monster of the New Series, I think their strength came through because they were so well written. Honestly!

And the worstests:

3. The Krillitaines. Sadly, they were the only weak aspect of School Reunion, an otherwise perfect episode. The teachers in their matching, ultra-sharp suits were far more menacing than these goofy CGI bat-faces.

2. The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe. The basic idea of a mouth in the ceiling is great, but it can't really do anything. Another example of the human avatar being a lot more engaging than the monster.

1. The Sycorax. Weak, weak, uninteresting monsters. They look OK, nice masks and a bit of jewellry over a cloak, but there's nothing special about them. They might as well have been... Klingons. 'For the Planetch?' We've just had one staring out at us from the Doctor Who calendar for a month, which was quite nasty. And silly.

Bubbling under the best monster section was the Moxx of Balhoon, who would have easily made it if he'd had a bit more to do. Perhaps if he'd been slightly evil. Even if he'd just bitten the Doctor's finger a little! Dear old Moxxy.

What's that coming over the hill? Is it The Automatic? No, it's your reply to the thread!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

can't be bothered to give to many reasons but my top/bottom 3 are

1/ Cybermen - for the first time ever we finaly got a Cyberman, that looked powerfull,frightening and unstoppable.

2/ Daleks - pretty much the same reason as above the Daleks were given a major and much needed over haul and again you were left feeling that they could well be the all powerfull conquring force of old.

3/ Ood - just a fantastic and frightening look to them.

bottom

1/ Slitheen -

2/Krillitaines.

3/ Autons - mainly because they were woefully underused who of loved to have seen more of them in a pitched battle against the army/UNIT.

Everyone the Daleks and Cybermen! But what would your top 3 be like without them? Which of the New monsters have tickled your fancy, if any?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Larry, it's meant to be new monsters from the new series only.

Best:

1. Empty Child:
    I think this one worked so well because of the fact it was a child who was the main protagonist, giving the story a more eerie aspect. Also, I loved the way he just kept appearing, very unnerving.

2. The Ood
    There were some very good moments in Impossible Planet and Satan Pit where the Ood came across as a vvery good monster. Their silences, and uniform movements. The words of the beast coming from their mouths. Yes, I liked them a lot.

3. Reapers
    They looked good. Not much else to say about them, and to be honest I know that's a weak response for my number three choice, but they aren't all that good. The trouble is, apart from the top 2, I don't think the new series has managed to produce any decent monsters who could be reused yet, and the fact RTD seems to want to use the Daleks and Cybermen so often seems to suggest it may be some time before the new series finally delivers one.

The Worst:

3. Cassandra
    I didn't like her in End of The World, and her return in New Earth wasn't much of an improvement, though I did like the scenes with her as a normal human.

2. The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe
    It looked crap and it did nothing apart from hang on the ceiling.

1. The Slitheen
    Perhaps my dislike for them is that they've appeared in some of the worst stories on offer in the new series so far, but some of it is definitely the fact they are not that good a monster.

Pip Madeley Guest

Best

1. The Ood
    2. Slitheen
    3. Abzorbaloff

Worst

1. James Lindsay
    2. Chris Chinballs
    3. The Jagrafess

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Larry, it's meant to be new monsters from the new series only.

ooh sorry didn't read the question properly ok then

best

1/ OOD
    2/ Wearwolf
    3/ Clock work robots

worst

1/ Slitheen
    2/Krillitaines.
    3/ The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe

3/ The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe
    Now, hands up all those who didn't bother typing it and just copied and pasted from the original thread post. I'm one for a start

Best
    Julie Gardner's Scary Barnet
    Camp Monster Man Kasey
    Murray Gold's Moronic Music

Worst
    RTD's Monstrous Ego
    Phil Collinson: The Bar Raiser From Hell
    Nick Briggs' Monster Monster Sounds

Best:

1. The Ood. Sinister and sends kiddies behind the sofa like they should do. Look great too.

2. The Sycorax- mean, interesting use of 'magic' and they olook superb.

3. The Krilitanes, looked very good and there was some great CGI, they'll have sent shivers down the spines of the young ones-and thats what monsters are for.

Worst:

1. The Slitheen. Not remotely scary, or funny, whatever was RTD thinking of-frankly embarrassing. They fail on ever count of a monster-they looked slightly better in CGI form than in the crappest rubber suits ever in who!

2. The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe, boring and uninteresting, didn't seem to have any power to explain why he could olord it over anyone!

3. The Warewolf. There was scope to do something interesting with this one, or something traditional it tried to do both and failed at both.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Now, hands up all those who didn't bother typing it and just copied and pasted from the original thread post. I'm one for a start

I'm guilty to..

BEST

1. The Beast (from TIP/TSP) - a monster who can think, be devious and scare the sh@t out of the Doctor. Pity we never got a proper intellectual showdown between the two.

2. The Krillitane - I think as a concept they were a very good idea. I'd have liked to see them a bit more like the Gremlins from Gremlins 2 i.e. a bit more of a hotchpotch variety to them

3. The Werewolf - for pushing all the right buttons.

WORST

1. The Slitheen - too much of a deliberate attempt to make an interesting race for my liking, so we get the potted history and the funny traits and the weakness all pushed at us at the same time.

2. The Clockwork men - just too easy to deal with; a puff of wind would have seriously slowed them down.

3. The Empress of Rachnoss - a big scarey spider is only big and scarey if its running across the ceiling at you, or firing webs or doing its best to poison you (i.e. Shelob) . When it just stands still waving one leg about a bit and speaking in a hissy east European accent its merely taking up space.
    Bazinga !

Top 3
    1. The Slitheen
    Surprising huh? What I liked about them in their first story was the way they reacted with childlike delight at their evil plan. That was something new and lovely. OK, we got the farting, but then on the contary we got Boom Town, which is one of my favourite episodes and we saw Margaret Slitheen sitting on the loo in Cardiff. magnificent. Kids love them. That's a good thing. Bring them back for more I say!

2. The Ood.
    great design, lovely voices and they look really evil when their eyes glow red. They terrified my nephew far more than anything else has in the new series.

3. The Abzorbaloff
    What a brilliant idea the BP competition winner had. It was a great creation, magnificently brought to life by Peter Kay and very memorable with all those faces around it's body.

Bottom 3
    1. The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe
    Just a blob on the ceiling. Not very impressive, not very exciting and not really the stuff of nightmares.

2. The Sycorax
    They're just Klingons, and they're just as dull. Nice design is no substitute for giving a new race some thought.

3. The Whicker faced People
    What were they about? Hmmm?

As you can see, my last couple were clutching at straws, because I like most of them really!

Si xx
    Last edited by SiHart; 13th Feb 2007 at 10:05 PM. Reason: I cannnot speell.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm with Si on the top one!

1. The Slitheen.

I don't want them to bring them back again, as they seem to keep threatening, but in the three episodes from series 1, I loved 'em. The big proper reveal at the end of AOL, and the "We are the Slitheen" line, along with the blinky-blinky eyes, is one of my favourite moments.

2. The Scribble Monster

Not sure if it even counts, but I thought it was very clever, and just loved the sheer 'jump out of the seat' moment when it sprung out of the garage. Plus when the Doctor just rubs it out it's a lovely touch.

3. The Lady Cassandra

Again, not sure if it counts, but the striking visual of a stretched skin (I'm talking about the TEOTW version of course) is one of the great images from the early part of the 2005 season.

And languishing at the bottom of the pile...

1 (the worst). The Krillitanes

Nice idea, but the oversize heads were just too cartoony. Thankfully the shots of them were fairly few and far between, and mainly fast-moving, but overall not a great success.

2. The Moxx of Balhoon

After all the DWM build up to that character, the actual, blatantly rubber-suited result was a bit of a disappointment, with its stubbly little rubbery legs. Liked the spitting though!

3. I call him Max

Not mobile or scary enough. So there.